Garmin GNC 250XL

Old November 12th 04, 01:30 AM
Rip

Jay, 86K has a GNC300XL, fully IFR certified. For many reasons (database
upgradeable, resale value, etc) I think it's worth the extra money
involved for the necessary CDI and ACU. I often fly in an identical
plane with a Garmin 430, and other than the color display and sexy
approach "illustrations", I find them to be almost identical.

Jay Honeck wrote:
Anyone got one of these units?

http://www.garmin.com/products/gnc250xl/

It seems to combine two very useful things (a VFR moving map GPS and a Com
radio) into one compact unit.

Old November 12th 04, 04:51 AM
Jay Honeck

I would recommenf taking the IFR instructions, one never knows when you
need it
in an emergency.

Not to worry, Hank. I was actually near the end of my instrument training
when we bought the hotel, and everything else in my life went on hold.

The training definitely made me a better pilot, and I'm confident that I
could get down through an overcast, if needed. And, although I haven't
practiced for a while, I could probably shoot an ILS or VOR approach, in a
pinch.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 12th 04, 04:01 PM
Aaron Coolidge

Jay Honeck wrote:
: It would not have a single NAV radio, as my primary radio is a digital Narco
: 810+R.

: Our plane also has dual VOR's, both with glideslope, and a backup vacuum
: system. By adding the GNC 250XL I would be gaining a panel mount GPS and
: digital Com, while losing an antiquated DME and analog Com radio.

: I don't know too many people who would say that such a change would diminish
: Atlas' value.

If there isn't much cost difference I'd get the 300XL as it could be IFR
certifiable should the need or desire arise. It can be installed "VFR only".
As an aside, what sort of Narco DME do you have? A firend of mine flies
an Archer with 2 Nav/Com's and a Narco DME, but her DME is now broken and
not worth repairing. She flies more IFR than most anyone I know, and really
misses the DME, as our usual IFR alternate has a LOC/DME. If you decide to
get rid of the DME and its the same type as hers, which I think is a 190
DME, she'd probably be interested in acquiring it.
--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)