Looking for Soaring Meteorology Textbook

Old January 29th 19, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Looking for Soaring Meteorology Textbook

Four decades ago when I was getting my U. S. glider pilots license the
textbook we used had a very good discussion of convection. This included
stable and unstable air conditions, the temperature gradients needed
to sustain convection, and how, over the course of a sunny day, convective
currents would rise to greater and greater heights, possibly culminating
in a convective thunderstorm.

I am attempting to locate this book. I do not recall if it was a book
on general aviation meteorology, or specifically on soaring meteorology,
or if it was a meteorology section in a textbook on soaring. I would
appreciate any assistance.

thank you,

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Old January 29th 19, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 11:51:08 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Four decades ago when I was getting my U. S. glider pilots license the
textbook we used had a very good discussion of convection. This included
stable and unstable air conditions, the temperature gradients needed
to sustain convection, and how, over the course of a sunny day, convective
currents would rise to greater and greater heights, possibly culminating
in a convective thunderstorm.

I am attempting to locate this book. I do not recall if it was a book
on general aviation meteorology, or specifically on soaring meteorology,
or if it was a meteorology section in a textbook on soaring. I would
appreciate any assistance.

thank you,

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist

https://www.amazon.com/Meteorology-F...lider +pilots

Maybe something that pre-dated Tom Bradbury's book?

Frank Whiteley
Old January 29th 19, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Metcalfe

Try Wally Wallington's "Meteorology for Glider Pilots" which was the bible

when I soloed in 1978. Pub: John Murray Ltd. ISBN 0 7195 3303 1
Priced £8.50 in those days. And you've just inspired me to re-read it!
J.

Old January 30th 19, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 12:30:04 PM UTC-8, James Metcalfe wrote:
Try Wally Wallington's "Meteorology for Glider Pilots" which was the bible

when I soloed in 1978. Pub: John Murray Ltd. ISBN 0 7195 3303 1
Priced £8.50 in those days. And you've just inspired me to re-read it!
J.

https://www.ebay.com/i/152860739344?chn=ps

Understanding the sky Dennis Pagen.

Understanding the Sky will help you unlock the potential of every flying day. As cross country pilots, observation and analysis of the ever-changing conditions is crucial if we are to stay in the air and maximize our distances. Dennis Pagen's Understanding the Sky covers the macro-scale meteorological phenomena, from pressure systems to the Jet Stream, and also focuses in on the micro-met of everything from thermal formation to wave lift.

This book is a store of knowledge from 20 years of flying sport aircraft. If you've ever wondered why the air behaves as it does, this book is for you.. The greatest emphasis is on small-scale effects--excatly where we fly. Details are provided on everything from turbulence to thunderstorms. The chapters on lift sources and flying efficiency alone are worth the price of this book.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old January 30th 19, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 1:30:04 PM UTC-7, James Metcalfe wrote:
Try Wally Wallington's "Meteorology for Glider Pilots" which was the bible

when I soloed in 1978. Pub: John Murray Ltd. ISBN 0 7195 3303 1
Priced £8.50 in those days. And you've just inspired me to re-read it!
J.

I reckon that's the one he was referring to. Thanks for the link. I think that's also on the bookshelf, but will have to check.

Frank Whiteley
Old January 30th 19, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Deane[_2_]

My go to bibles are Dennis Pagen and Tom Bradbury.

I only recently discovered Pagens book and wish I had read it decades ago - a fabulous book.

Regards

2T