K8b restoration

Old February 2nd 19, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default K8b restoration

I was given a junked K8b due to water damage to the wood at the wing root and multiple tears in the original fabric and chipped/peeling paint. However, it looks like it may be restorable (worth it, that's another story). Anyway, I'm interested to know if there is an online repair manual that lays out the specific techniques of repairing or replacing wood in the wings, and specifications on what type of wood to be used, etc. I looked around and found the list of ADs, but nothing that laid out what I am looking for. I've contacted Schleicher as well, but they simply directed me to a link on their website, that didn't really give the information I needed. This is a certified glider, and I'd like to keep it that way, as I'm hoping to use it as a club glider.
Old February 2nd 19, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 17:29:37 -0800, John Foster wrote:

I was given a junked K8b due to water damage to the wood at the wing
root and multiple tears in the original fabric and chipped/peeling
paint. However, it looks like it may be restorable (worth it, that's
another story). Anyway, I'm interested to know if there is an online
repair manual that lays out the specific techniques of repairing or
replacing wood in the wings, and specifications on what type of wood to
be used, etc. I looked around and found the list of ADs, but nothing
that laid out what I am looking for. I've contacted Schleicher as well,
but they simply directed me to a link on their website, that didn't
really give the information I needed. This is a certified glider, and
I'd like to keep it that way, as I'm hoping to use it as a club glider.

If you can't find anything more specific, this might help:

Workshop Practice For Building and Repairing Wooden Gliders and Sailplanes
by Hans Jacobs publisher Eqip, 45 euros.

Available from Eqip, amazon.de or www.vintagesailplane.org

I've no personal experience of that book, but I do have some of Eqip's
other books (Sailplanes 1920-1945, Sailplanes 1945-1965 and Sailplanes
1965-2000, which are excellent.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old February 2nd 19, 08:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk

At 02:05 02 February 2019, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[...]

Schleicher has all the drawings. The plywood used is birch, GL I
spec. Measure thickness or original material when replacing. Some
is 5 ply, but most ia 3-ply. Wood is spruce by heart. Specs are in
the Jacobs book.

Wooden Sxhleichers are known to suffer from Kaurit glue joint
brittleness by ageing, and a full glue survey of wings, fin and
controls would be prudent to see if a rebuild is viable. Have a look
at the YouTube channel “Kaurit in gliders” to see what to look for...

Old February 2nd 19, 11:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Thomson[_2_]

=
out the specific techniques of repairing or replacing wood in the wings,
an=
d specifications on what type of wood to be used, etc. I looked around
and=
found the list of ADs, but nothing that laid out what I am looking for.
I=
've contacted Schleicher as well, but they simply directed me to a link

on
=
their website, that didn't really give the information I needed. This is
a=
certified glider, and I'd like to keep it that way, as I'm hoping to use
i=
t as a club glider.

As a general guide download "Standard Repairs to Gliders" from the BGA
website. It's in the Airworthiness section of their library, in a number
of
chapters.

Link to chapter 1: https://members.gliding.co.uk/wp-
content/uploads/sites/3/2015/04/1430312226_Section%201.pdf

Specific information on the Ka8 has to come from Schleicher.

Old February 2nd 19, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Roney

At 10:48 02 February 2019, James Thomson wrote:
[...]

Contact Rattlesden GC.They are have almost finished the
renovation of a K13 which had the glue issue.

Old February 2nd 19, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Jacob’s book is the definitive work in this field.
Old February 2nd 19, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It might be best to start with an thorough inspection by someone with wood repair and wood rot knowledge. Also ask about requirements to return the ship to service. Where are you located? In the US, the best way to go would be to license the ship in the Experimental category which can be used in clubs.
Hope this helps,
JJ
Old February 2nd 19, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

The best use might be to convert it to a Condor 2 simulator.

That will reduce your training costs.

Old February 2nd 19, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

AC 43.13 has some good info
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/...-1B_w-chg1.pdf
Old February 2nd 19, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Friesen

On Friday, February 1, 2019 at 5:29:38 PM UTC-8, John Foster wrote:
I was given a junked K8b due to water damage to the wood at the wing root and multiple tears in the original fabric and chipped/peeling paint. However, it looks like it may be restorable (worth it, that's another story). Anyway, I'm interested to know if there is an online repair manual that lays out the specific techniques of repairing or replacing wood in the wings, and specifications on what type of wood to be used, etc. I looked around and found the list of ADs, but nothing that laid out what I am looking for. I've contacted Schleicher as well, but they simply directed me to a link on their website, that didn't really give the information I needed. This is a certified glider, and I'd like to keep it that way, as I'm hoping to use it as a club glider.

John, there is a wealth of information, expertise and encouragement available from the Vintage Sailplane Association.

http://www.vintagesailplane.org/

I could expand on my comment if you wish, but my advice is to join the VSA, explore some of the past publications, and perhaps contact a couple of the names on the website directly. Just as one example, the subject of glues, and kaurit in particular, has been covered in articles in the Association magazine "Bungee Cord" within the past couple of years. Obviously, a magazine article is limited, but does lead to a knowledgeable author, perhaps in your neck of the woods.

TG-2 and TG-3 restoration ken bash Soaring 4 August 9th 16 02:49 AM
P-26 restoration Byker Aviation Photos 1 August 3rd 15 11:56 AM
P-26 restoration Byker Aviation Photos 0 August 3rd 15 06:05 AM
P-26 restoration Byker Aviation Photos 0 August 3rd 15 06:05 AM
P-26 restoration Byker Aviation Photos 0 August 3rd 15 06:05 AM