Garmin GpsMap 396 - First Impressions (long)

Old July 2nd 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Default Garmin GpsMap 396 - First Impressions (long)

I stopped whining about the cost of things aviation a while ago. $5.00+
per gallon gas and Piper parts prices don't phase me anymore. I have
thought about this unit for a while now and compared it's value/function
to what other upgrades I could buy instead for the same money. So, I
find myself a bit uncomfortable that I do not truly appear to be "over
it" when it comes to aviation pricing.

Wincing in pain as I handed over the debit card, the JA Air Center rep
slid over the large box containing the latest aviation widget. Roughly
$2350 with tax plus another $100+ for the "Lite" subscription and
activation completed the financial aspects of the deal. After calling
the XM people with the numbers for the activation, a 10 minute wait
followed and then the GPS began to light up with subscription info.
Another 5 minutes or so and the pretty green and yellow patches started
to march across the screen.

The (very) good:
Yesterday was a typical Midwestern summer weather profile. 30% chance of
rain with isolated Tstorms. This is EXACTLY why I bought this unit.
Ordinarily, we would not venture off (especially with Pax) on a VFR
joyride with big puffy white building cumulus everywhere. Even if they
don't eventually bust open, the dark gray bottoms looming over our heads
are not confidence building. And, as FBOs continue to cut back or close,
weather info on the ground is becoming more scarce. So, when the little
dude began to paint green/yellow stripes and blobs marching out of the
Nowthwest, my buyer's remorse subsided quite a bit. I CAN ACTUALLY SEE
THE RAIN!!!! Oh yeah, that's what it is supposed to do.

When you think about it, I just bought RADAR for under $2500! Yes, it is
not airborne, tactical, real-time, weather penetration radar. But, it is
a pretty good WEATHER AVOIDANCE radar. Ground based, high power, 5
minute delay, with no attenuation like the on-board units. When you
think of it that way, the price may be easier to digest.

One thing I was worried about was the screen. I bought the Lowrance
GPSMAP 1000 because I wanted lots of screen real estate. All the
highways, rivers, lakes, terrain and other junk makes these things
impossible to see. We "vintage" folks have the added challenge that
everything on the planet is made for 20 years old eyes. The Garmin
screen is about 30-40% smaller than the Airmap. But, the Lowrance turned
out to be difficult to see and read, especially with Ray Bans on. The
Garmin's color screen is WAY easier to read. Color, a higher resolution,
and a KILLER backlight really helps. Oh yeah, Garmin also actually lets
you change the size of the various text on the screen. A real value
feature for the money.

It appears you can configure this thing 6 ways to Sunday. I really liked
the Lowrance map with the data strip on the left side. No Garmin
equivalent exists. However, the screen is so much easier to read that
the data being placed on the map looks like it will do.

The bad:
At JA, the display model was not set up with a subscription to see
"actual" weather. They had the thing in simulator mode. At these prices,
either Garmin or JA should have popped for the FULL package. I always
think "If you believe this thing/service is worth what you are charging,
why don't YOU buy it?".

Upon opening the box, I find a multitude of stuff. I had already
prepared myself that I was NOT going to like the yoke mount. I hated
every other mounting system (except my old Quik-Clamp) I have seen or
used. Yes, I especially dislike the RAM system. To my surprise, the
mount can be adjusted to put the thing RIGHT where I want it in the
Cherokee. However, my elation was short lived. With the external power
plugged in, it is a REAL bear to mount or dismount the unit. The power
plug was clearly misplaced right up against the mount. If you mount it
first and then plug it in, you have to do a bit of gymnastics to get all
3 plugs in there. The plug for the XM is the tiny USB and it is also
hard to locate once mounted.

One thing you will likely need to do with the mount. As shipped, the
mount puts the unit nearly up against the right Ram's horn on a Piper.
You need to disassemble the mount and reverse it. That centers the unit
nicely. Another modification, unscrew the ridiculous rubber plug cover
and put it right back in the box, forever. If you don't, you will
CONSTANTLY wrestle trying to plug everything in while getting past it.
You will see exactly what I mean when you look at the unit.

About the connectors. There are now 3 of them (power, external GPS
antenna, and XM radio/antenna). Unless you have a hangar and want to
leave the unit in the plane, that means you have to plug and unplug 6
times for a typical journey away from the tiedown. Unplug the beast at
the restaurant or overnight destination and you double it. Remember my
earlier comment about how difficult it it to do the plug/unplug
operation AND the mount/dismount because of the misplaced power
connector. This thing clearly needs a single multipin plug accessory
harness. While we are at it, the power plug is VERY tight. I swear I am
bunging the thing up putting it in an taking it out. I hope this gets
easier with time.

Another nit is the power cable. IT IS NOT LONG ENOUGH!!! $2300 for a GPS
and I have to go to Rat Shack for a 12v extension. HELLLLOOOOOO!!?? Even
Lowrance (the "value" leader) figured out how much distance there is
across the Piper panel.

Nitting away, Where is the COVER???? I expect a cover to snap on to keep
the sun off the screen when parked and to protect the screen while in
the flight bag. Again, even Lowrance figured this one out. $.18 worth of
plastic is surely in the retail price somewhere. Yes, they do include a
small bag, but I find those things to be useless. Lets's trade the bag
for a snap-on cover.

Final nit, it has a PROPRIETARY RECHARGEABLE BATTERY! It needs the
special charger to juice up. Opinions vary, but I prefer standard double
A's. I don't want to get fleeced for $200+ in a year or so when the
rechargeable craps out. Yes, I know it stays charged while on external
power, but I still don't like it. On the plus side, the battery will
last 6+ hours with a fairly high backlight on. Something like 16 hours
with the backlight off, but the unit is almost impossible to see with
the light off.

O.K. I promised that the last comment was the final nit. I lied. It
appears I now have to spend ANOTHER $300 FOR THE AUTO KIT!!!!!! For the
price, I should have received the car kit AND a year's subscription to
the full bore "Aviator" weather package. Competitors, Garmin, anyone
listening?

I must admit, if the price were around $1400 (where it belongs), these
shortfalls would be a LOT easier to take. It just grinds salt into a
pretty deep wound that the unit is not closer to perfection right out of
the box. But, as I said, it is RADAR! (At this point, I will tell myself
any lie to justify the cost).

So, today, I may take to the skies to see the thing in action. I'll
report back.

Mike
Old July 2nd 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

"Mike Spera" wrote in message
ink.net...

snip

I must admit, if the price were around $1400 (where it belongs), these
shortfalls would be a LOT easier to take. It just grinds salt into a
pretty deep wound that the unit is not closer to perfection right out of
the box. But, as I said, it is RADAR! (At this point, I will tell myself
any lie to justify the cost).

So, today, I may take to the skies to see the thing in action. I'll report
back.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the review. The 396 is one of the items on my "upgrade" list.
Along with a wing leveler, one of the Dynon EFIS systems, and a second,
third, and fourth airplane. Right now, I'm thinking RV-10, Aeronca Chief,
and DC-3, respectively. I think I'll have to wait a few years on the
airplane fleet, but some of the other upgrades are doable today.

Anyway, did you look at the various iterations of the "AnywhereMap", which
can be purchased for the $1400 or so you mentioned. If so, what drove you to
buy the Garmin?

KB

Old July 2nd 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
[email protected][_1_]

Mike Spera wrote:

So, today, I may take to the skies to see the thing in action. I'll
report back.

Mike

I just got a 396 and got a chance to use it for the frist time in the
air last weekend (4 hours total). I'd have to say that the price is
steep for a handheld, but considering the quality of the display and
the weather, it was well worth it. I just got the Aviator LT service,
but having the weather radar, and the METARs for every airport were a
really nice feature. Might have to try out the higher level of service
with winds aloft, lightning, & TAFs at some point.

I agree about the excessive number of cables. It seems they could have
bundled the Power, XM, and audio into one cable.

It will be interesting to see how Garmin tops this one. The 2 major
upgrades I can see are a larger screen (the current screen is very very
good, but could be larger) and the ability to receive TIS traffic
information without being wired to a transponder (not sure how easy it
would be to set this up though).

Enjoy flying with the 396, I think you'll find it to be worth the
expense.

By the way, I now have a Garmin 195 in perfect working condition, that
I don't have any need for. I'll be listing it on ebay at some point,
but if anyone wants a Garmin with a bigger screen than anything
currently on the market, let me know and we can talk price.

Eric
1959 Pilatus P-3 A-848
http://www.hometown.aol.com/bartscher/P3A848.html

Old July 2nd 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

"Mike Spera" wrote:

when the little dude began to paint green/yellow stripes and blobs
marching out of the Nowthwest, my buyer's remorse subsided quite a bit. I
CAN ACTUALLY SEE THE RAIN!!!! Oh yeah, that's what it is supposed to do.

Ain't it grand?

When you think about it, I just bought RADAR for under $2500! Yes, it is
not airborne, tactical, real-time, weather penetration radar.

It's better, IMO.

The bad:

With the external power plugged in, it is a REAL bear to mount or dismount
the unit. The power plug was clearly misplaced right up against the mount.
If you mount it first and then plug it in, you have to do a bit of
gymnastics to get all 3 plugs in there. The plug for the XM is the tiny
USB and it is also hard to locate once mounted.

*sigh*

That's the damned truth. I hate that mounting cradle.

While we are at it, the power plug is VERY tight. I swear I am bunging the
thing up putting it in an taking it out. I hope this gets easier with
time.

It won't. Better buy a spare.

I've now broken TWO power cable plugs just by unplugging them. Last time I
broke one, I bought two so I'd have a backup in the airplane. Horrible
design.

Nitting away, Where is the COVER???? I expect a cover to snap on to keep
the sun off the screen when parked and to protect the screen while in the
flight bag.

Hadn't thought of that. Good idea.

So, today, I may take to the skies to see the thing in action. I'll report
back.

Prediction: you will wonder how you ever lived without it, pain-in-the-butt
power cable and all.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 2nd 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

Mike, good report... Garmin's engineers should pay attention to your
want list...

I'm flying with the 196 and 296 on the yokes... I can afford a 396 but
haven't decided that I need inflight weather... Flew the same weather
pattern you did in our report... Didn't feel the lack of in-cockpit
updates for the 1.5 to 2 hour legs, what with doing weather checks on
the ground at each stop.. I have been all over three states for the
past 6 weeks and I don't remember an airport with an instrument
approach that does not have a terminal... Certainly, grass ports,
etc., likely don't have one...

This is not a knock on the 396, it is a great box... But I have reached
the stage of life where I do not feel obligated to pick my way between
CB heads whilst hoping like hell it doesn't hail.... If you want to
live long and prosper don't try to use the 396 as an excuse for
challenging Mother Nature... She will take you up on that wager in a
heart beat...

denny - old pilot, not bold pilot...

Old July 2nd 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

I'm flying with the 196 and 296 on the yokes... I can afford a 396 but
haven't decided that I need inflight weather... Flew the same weather
pattern you did in our report... Didn't feel the lack of in-cockpit
updates for the 1.5 to 2 hour legs, what with doing weather checks on
the ground at each stop.. I have been all over three states for the
past 6 weeks and I don't remember an airport with an instrument
approach that does not have a terminal... Certainly, grass ports,
etc., likely don't have one...

We have a few favorite stops where the FBO has closed down (Lake Lawn
Lodge and Grand Geneva to name 2). I am concerned about the weather
"popping up" while on the ground. At times we like to spend the day
somewhere and I don't want to constantly check on and worry about the
weather trying to find the "perfect" time to leave. We have also had a
sparkling forecast go South while airborne on a 2 hour trip to Ann Arbor
from Chicago. I absolutely hated the "should we land and check the
radar/METARS or plow ahead" on many trips. This box should add some data
to make the go ahead/turn around decision while in the air.

This is not a knock on the 396, it is a great box... But I have reached
the stage of life where I do not feel obligated to pick my way between
CB heads whilst hoping like hell it doesn't hail.... If you want to
live long and prosper don't try to use the 396 as an excuse for
challenging Mother Nature... She will take you up on that wager in a
heart beat...

As I said, this instrument is for weather avoidance, not penetration.
The data is not real time, therefore, not usable as a tactical look to
weave in and around a storm. It can tell me where an isolated heavy rain
is and how I can go completely around it. It can also show the general
direction and speed the rain is moving at. From there we can see whether
a given route will take us into or around any buildup. I usually give a
storm a 30+ mile space. My goal is to perhaps take a few more ventures
out on a cumulus building summer day with the confidence we can spot any
nasty stuff and delay a take off into it or give it a wide berth if it
is isolated. Ordinarily, we would simply not go. 1000 hours and an
instrument rating has taught me that little airplanes are quite useless
as a reliable transportation device. I'm just trying to chip away
slightly at the margin.

Thanks,
Mike
Old July 2nd 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Might have to try out the higher level of service
with winds aloft, lightning, & TAFs at some point.

The LT package already contains TAFS.

Good Luck,
Mike
Old July 2nd 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

You had a 10 minute wait to get activated????? I spent 30 minutes on
hold yesterday and two hours today hearing how important my call was and
how I'd get help any minute. Hopefully they just closed down for the
holidays and forgot to change the message but I'm starting out with a
bad impression of the service.

I may have been lucky. I had about a 2 minute hold before a very helpful
fellow put through my order. It took about 10 minutes for the unit to
activate. I would have preferred to do this on line, but I got a message
that my browser was not supported (Netscape 7.2 not supported?). The man
said they were taking orders M-Sat to some late hour and half day on
Sunday. Business may be really good. At least I was not transferred to
an under skilled person who I could not understand several continents away.

One surprise, it also took about 6 minutes to get the weather back up
once I installed it in the plane. Does it take that long every time to
acquire?

Thanks,
Mike
Old July 2nd 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Maule Driver

Mike Spera wrote:
One surprise, it also took about 6 minutes to get the weather back up
once I installed it in the plane. Does it take that long every time to
acquire?

Yes it does in my case. My sense is that it immediately startes to
download weather data but that it takes a few minutes to get
100% of the current data down. I don't know.
Old July 2nd 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Maule Driver

Mike Spera wrote:
The (very) good:
...I CAN ACTUALLY SEE
THE RAIN!!!! Oh yeah, that's what it is supposed to do.

Oh yeah. Two weeks ago I flew with my 396 from Durham NC to New
Orleans basically because the weather was so favorable. But within 50
miles of Lakefront, the ceilings were 1900MSL with build-ups and haze.
Is there a cell over Lakefront? How do I best plot a course in?
There's little visibility underneath on such a day. The 396 pays for
itself everytime it lights that picture up. Not a drop hit me coming or
going despite much requiired zigging and zagging. It was clear on
several occassions that my eyeballs not only couldn't pick the right
path, but rather would have picked the wrong the one.

When you think about it, I just bought RADAR for under $2500! Yes, it is
not airborne, tactical, real-time, weather penetration radar. But, it is
a pretty good WEATHER AVOIDANCE radar. Ground based, high power, 5
minute delay, with no attenuation like the on-board units. When you
think of it that way, the price may be easier to digest.

Often it seems better than on-board. It was clear on one of my first
flights that I had a better picture of conditions than the jets when
circumnavigating a complicated cell cluster. The controller was telling
them what I could already see. But I'm guessing that most of those guys
carry one around with them by this time if they don't have panel mounted
equivalents.

The bad:

...I was NOT going to like the yoke mount. I hated
every other mounting system (except my old Quik-Clamp) I have seen or
used. Yes, I especially dislike the RAM system.

The Garmin yoke mount and my Maule hate each other. I fabricated a
small bracket to hang it below the panel but finally used a RAM mount
which was perfect

About the connectors. There are now 3 of them (power, external GPS
antenna, and XM radio/antenna).

4 of them if you plug in the music - music is a wonderful side bene
Unless you have a hangar and want to
leave the unit in the plane, that means you have to plug and unplug 6
times for a typical journey away from the tiedown. Unplug the beast at
the restaurant or overnight destination and you double it.

Mine is parked in my backyard but I end up taking it out each time
anyway just because I want to use it in the car at at my desk.

Remember my
earlier comment about how difficult it it to do the plug/unplug
operation AND the mount/dismount because of the misplaced power
connector. This thing clearly needs a single multipin plug accessory
harness.

3 of my 4 wires go in different directions right at the unit. Too many
plugs but it's not clear a single plug and harness would be optimal in
my setup. Bluetooth?
While we are at it, the power plug is VERY tight. I swear I am
bunging the thing up putting it in an taking it out. I hope this gets
easier with time.

It sucks and it doesnt' get better.

Another nit is the power cable. IT IS NOT LONG ENOUGH!!! $2300 for a GPS
and I have to go to Rat Shack for a 12v extension. HELLLLOOOOOO!!?? Even
Lowrance (the "value" leader) figured out how much distance there is
across the Piper panel.

They got it right for mine but 3 more inches and *##$%. 12 more inches
and I would have $$%#@ too.

Nitting away, Where is the COVER???? I expect a cover to snap on to keep
the sun off the screen when parked and to protect the screen while in
the flight bag. Again, even Lowrance figured this one out. $.18 worth of
plastic is surely in the retail price somewhere. Yes, they do include a
small bag, but I find those things to be useless. Lets's trade the bag
for a snap-on cover.

Great idea. The bag sucks.
Final nit, it has a PROPRIETARY RECHARGEABLE BATTERY! It needs the
special charger to juice up. Opinions vary, but I prefer standard double
A's. I don't want to get fleeced for $200+ in a year or so when the
rechargeable craps out. Yes, I know it stays charged while on external
power, but I still don't like it. On the plus side, the battery will
last 6+ hours with a fairly high backlight on. Something like 16 hours
with the backlight off, but the unit is almost impossible to see with
the light off.

I like it. It's light weight makes the entire unit pleasant to handle,
less subject to trauma, and it runs forever (i.e. so I don't have to
think about it.

My problem is the hum I get when listening to XM Music while the unit is
plugged in. I end up keeping it unplugged for most of most flights.
O.K. I promised that the last comment was the final nit. I lied. It
appears I now have to spend ANOTHER $300 FOR THE AUTO KIT!!!!!! For the
price, I should have received the car kit AND a year's subscription to
the full bore "Aviator" weather package. Competitors, Garmin, anyone
listening?

Sounds like they stopped the free autokit promotion concurrent with the
$300 price drop. Nothing for nothing, price is the same it seems. I
feel better.
I must admit, if the price were around $1400 (where it belongs), these
shortfalls would be a LOT easier to take. It just grinds salt into a
pretty deep wound that the unit is not closer to perfection right out of
the box. But, as I said, it is RADAR! (At this point, I will tell myself
any lie to justify the cost).

It strikes me as so good I want to slap myself! Imperfections, yes. But
it's just an outstanding product. My honeymoon will be over when a
better, cheaper product is available....