Breakers as Switches - Good Idea?

Old February 16th 16, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Six-Seven Romeo

Default Breakers as Switches - Good Idea?

I often see GA and gliders that use breakers as switches. Is this such a good idea? Are breakers rated to be used as switches? These aircraft usually, but not always, have at least a master switch.

Our tow plane uses Tyco W31 series breakers which incorporate bat handles and are designed to be used as a combination of a breaker and a switch. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...?clickkey=5950

What say you?

John (http://aviation.derosaweb.net)
Old February 16th 16, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Years ago, my glider's panel was rewired by an owner of a FAA certified repair station / avionics shop. He used two circuit breakers as the main (and only) switches on my panel. I have two batteries and he installed two breakers. They look like the breaker you have linked to at Aircraft Spruce.

The breakers are wired so I can turn on one, or the other, or both at the same time (switching from one battery to another and not losing power to the panel.)

I must say, the extremely neat bundle of white wires, expertly run behind the panel, sure looks good compared to the rat's nest of Radio Shack stuff that was there before!

Ray

Old February 16th 16, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 11:59:49 AM UTC-5, Six-Seven Romeo wrote:
I often see GA and gliders that use breakers as switches. Is this such a good idea? Are breakers rated to be used as switches? These aircraft usually, but not always, have at least a master switch.

Our tow plane uses Tyco W31 series breakers which incorporate bat handles and are designed to be used as a combination of a breaker and a switch. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...?clickkey=5950

What say you?

John (http://aviation.derosaweb.net)

Unless a breaker is designed for "switch duty", I would not use a breaker as a switch that gets's lots of use.
Mostly because the wear during each operation slightly reduces the amp rating of the breaker. What this means is that it will (gradually, over time) trip at lower and lower values.
A hot ambient temp add's to this (since most are thermally tripped). The result is that on a warm/hot day after multiple cycles, the "normally fine" breaker may trip on you, causing you to at least wonder, "What's happening?", or losing a flight computer/radio/logger/etc. when most inopportune.....

Granted, you could argue that it will take 20 years of recreational use to create this issue (I'm just picking a number here), but breakers are breakers, switches are switches.
Personally, I prefer fuses over a lot of breakers although you do need to keep correctly sized spares around.
Old February 17th 16, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi John,

I used similar, though a different brand, when I rebuilt my panel. All aviation grade and to FAA & EAA specs and guidelines. The examples you quoted have a cycle rating of 6,000 operations at 100% load and 10,000 mechanical operations. In other words, no problem in using them as a switch. The compensation graph in the specs will allow you to correct for peak-summer (high temp correction) operation.

I won't have the pleasure of flying with the CC armada at Ridge this spring.. I trust you'll have fun nonetheless!

CJ
Old February 17th 16, 07:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Adding 1 amp switch/breaker for 200mA instrument draws 10% more power from battery because breakers have internal resistance. That may or may not be significant. If you have 10 hrs battery capacity, you will loose on hour.
Old February 17th 16, 09:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_2_]

At 07:49 17 February 2016, krasw wrote:
Adding 1 amp switch/breaker for 200mA instrument draws 10% more power

from
battery because breakers have internal resistance. That may or may not be
significant. If you have 10 hrs battery capacity, you will loose on hour.

I doubt that.

10% of 200mA is 20mA, or 0,02A.
It would then take 50 Hours to reduce the charge by 1AH.

Is that a problem?

Old February 17th 16, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

At 09:16 17 February 2016, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:
At 07:49 17 February 2016, krasw wrote:
Adding 1 amp switch/breaker for 200mA instrument draws 10% more powe

from
battery because breakers have internal resistance. That may or may not

be
significant. If you have 10 hrs battery capacity, you will loose on

hour.

I doubt that.

10% of 200mA is 20mA, or 0,02A.
It would then take 50 Hours to reduce the charge by 1AH.

Is that a problem?

I replaced all the circuit breakers with fuses in my ship. I reason that
circuit breakers cause a voltage drop and use unnecessary power.
I did not see any benefit in being able to reset a breaker in flight as I
wouldn't do it. If a breaker trips it is usually for good reason and
should, therefore, stay that way until you are safely on the ground.

Old February 17th 16, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 5:15:06 AM UTC-7, Jim White wrote:
[...]

I think the right way to look at this is to take a gander at the spec sheet of the referenced part. At the top of the sheet is a table showing the resistance that the breaker introduces for varying current ratings. It shows for example that a 5A breaker introduces 0.03 ohms. Next, consider the peak load of the device that you're powering. If it's a radio, for example, look at its transmit current. Let's say the peak current is 1 amp. Then the voltage drop across the breaker is: V = iR = (1)(.03) = 30 mV. That's insignificant. The actual effect on battery life is that it will more likely be extended by the introduction of the additional load; it's just that the drop out point for the connected instrument will be 30mV lower. For a lithium battery with a fairly sharp fall off, I think you'll normally end up net positive to battery life by the introduction of the small series load (as long as the connected instrument works down to the steep part of the battery discharge curve).

And, BTW, fuses have resistance too -- it's the same game with a fuse.
Old February 18th 16, 08:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

At 17:17 17 February 2016, Steve Koerner wrote:
I think the right way to look at this is to take a gander at the spec
sheet=
of the referenced part. At the top of the sheet is a table showing the
re=
sistance that the breaker introduces for varying current ratings. It
shows=
for example that a 5A breaker introduces 0.03 ohms. Next, consider the
p=
eak load of the device that you're powering. If it's a radio, for
example,=
look at its transmit current. Let's say the peak current is 1 amp.

Then
=
the voltage drop across the breaker is: V =3D iR =3D (1)(.03) =3D 30 mV.

=
That's insignificant. The actual effect on battery life is that it will
mo=
re likely be extended by the introduction of the additional load; it's
just=
that the drop out point for the connected instrument will be 30mV lower.

=
For a lithium battery with a fairly sharp fall off, I think you'll
normally=
end up net positive to battery life by the introduction of the small
serie=
s load (as long as the connected instrument works down to the steep part
of=
the battery discharge curve). =20

And, BTW, fuses have resistance too -- it's the same game with a fuse.

I was using ETA 106-P30 trips that have internal resistance of 0.9ohm for
the 1a and 0.05 for the 5 amp. The problem was my Becker radio which only
likes to work at 12V+. The 5amp breaker dropped the voltage by over 1V on
transmit which for SLA batteries made it unworkable. A standard blade fuse
had much less impact.

I now use LifePo4 so this is now a mute point. However one point to note
with trips is the trip time. Mine were 10 seconds at 2x rated load.
Standard fuse trips much faster.

Jim

Old February 18th 16, 09:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

keskiviikko 17. helmikuuta 2016 19.17.54 UTC+2 Steve Koerner kirjoitti:
[...]

I was looking at 1 amp breaker specs, there the resistance is 0,61 ohms. Trip time for 10 times nominal trip current is 0,4-2,5 secs, which is quite slow. Of course for radio or xpdr you would probably use 5 amp switch with lower voltage drop.

Good Idea? Little Luke Piloting 1 August 20th 08 04:22 PM
Pilots Uniform: Good idea?? [email protected] Owning 16 December 6th 07 07:44 PM
"Trying out" a different insturctor just to see - good idea? Badidea? GEG General Aviation 18 May 8th 05 08:33 PM
Is replacing Maverick with JCM a good idea? Scott Ferrin Military Aviation 12 June 16th 04 10:07 PM
Defrag before install a good idea? Mark Cherry Simulators 3 September 23rd 03 07:51 AM