Real canard building costs, Long vs Berkut

Old December 25th 17, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Real canard building costs, Long vs Berkut

On Thursday, May 11, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, John O'Farrell wrote:
I'm interested in hearing people's real experiences in building and
financing their Long-EZ aircraft. I'm interested in the O-320 powered Long
with all the "new" features (i.e. - new canard, long nose, larger rudders,
etc.) but have not heard very much about costs. I'd also like to know how
this compares to the Berkut as I received their package a while ago and
they do include some breakdown costs (at least in terms of airframe
price). I believe Ronnenberg stated that a completed Berkut would run
around $40 - $45,000 when complete. Would that mean that the Long would be
less (not cheaper)? I realize that the Berkut is a kit and the Long
requires you to purchase raw materials and I'm not interested in LCD
displays or RNAV, though a good Loran would be nice. I guess what I'm
trying to ask is whether the Long would be less expensive to build and
maintain. Also, I had heard some time ago, that the full retracts could be
retrofitted (or was compatible with) the Long-EZ airframe, is this true?
Has anybody tried this? Any info would be most appreciated.

John O'Farrell

Is this John O'Farrell of S.J.S.U? I'm guessing it is. How've you been?