Electronic review of flight?

Old December 19th 05, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

Default Electronic review of flight?

With all of the new EFIS(Electronic flight Instrumentation Systems), has
anyone seen one that stores the flight path for replay? It looks like all of
the information is there, and this would be a tremendous help in instrument
instructing, or even "pattern review". If downloaded to a simulator on a pc,
this would be a good help answer post flight review questions. Al CFIAMI

Old December 19th 05, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

You have to have filed an IFR flight plan, but...

http://flightaware.com/analysis/route.rvt

Best Regards,
Todd

Old December 19th 05, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

In rec.aviation.ifr Al wrote:
With all of the new EFIS(Electronic flight Instrumentation Systems), has
anyone seen one that stores the flight path for replay? It looks like all of
the information is there, and this would be a tremendous help in instrument
instructing, or even "pattern review". If downloaded to a simulator on a pc,
this would be a good help answer post flight review questions. Al CFIAMI

My ancient Garmin 195 will record the flight track and allow it it be
downloaded to a PC. I assume most more recent handheld GPS units can as
well. One of those features that you can get on a handheld, but can't get
in any panel mount, IFR certified GPS units.

Unfortunately, my 195 will only record horizontal information. Don't know
if newer handhelds might record altitude information.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old December 19th 05, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

Here's the link to the animation of the Nike plane with the landing
gear problem, landing at Hillsboro, OR

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N225GV

It was a long day, with lots of holds!

Best Regards,
Todd

Old December 19th 05, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

Chartcase: http://www.flightprep.com/rootpage.php?page=HomeEFBSW

Records tracks, including speed and altitude. At least the
data is in the track file. Their display is basically just
the route as a static trail of bread crumbs, at least in the
current release. Possibly they plan to do more with it in
the future.

Old December 19th 05, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

"Al" writes:

With all of the new EFIS(Electronic flight Instrumentation Systems), has
anyone seen one that stores the flight path for replay? It looks like all of
the information is there, and this would be a tremendous help in instrument
instructing, or even "pattern review". If downloaded to a simulator on a pc,
this would be a good help answer post flight review questions. Al CFIAMI

I created an incredibly simple GPS playback mechanism. It just showed
the position on a moving sectional image and printed the speed, etc.
but I can certainly see how it would be useful.

It should be fairly simple to feed GPS data ingo FlightGear. I'll be
surprised if someone hasn't done it already but I don't recall hearing
of it.

--kyler
Old December 19th 05, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

Kyler Laird wrote:
"Al" writes:

With all of the new EFIS(Electronic flight Instrumentation Systems), has
anyone seen one that stores the flight path for replay? It looks like all of
the information is there, and this would be a tremendous help in instrument
instructing, or even "pattern review". If downloaded to a simulator on a pc,
this would be a good help answer post flight review questions. Al CFIAMI

I created an incredibly simple GPS playback mechanism. It just showed
the position on a moving sectional image and printed the speed, etc.
but I can certainly see how it would be useful.

It should be fairly simple to feed GPS data ingo FlightGear. I'll be
surprised if someone hasn't done it already but I don't recall hearing
of it.

--kyler

I write the same thing for my Pocket PC a year or so ago. It takes as
input a (manually) geo-referenced .jpg of a map and a text file of raw
NMEA data from my GPS. I could spend a little time cleaning it up for
public consumption if there's interest.

-R

Old December 19th 05, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

Rob wrote:
I write the same thing for my Pocket PC a year or so ago.

Errr... that should say "wrote" the same thing.

-R

Old December 19th 05, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

GPS would be great, but how about attitude info? If I can replay a students
instrument approach, I can point out how the a/c attitude and heading
wandered all over the place, followed by altitude & heading. I picture a
flight sim reflying the lesson. I don't know if any of the current systems
offer a USB port or SD card slot for output. It would seem an easy thing to
sample the GPS/Airdata/Ratedata every couple of ms and put it out to a
card/port.

By the way Kyler, I have for several years enjoyed your sectionals.

Al CFIAMI

Old December 20th 05, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

I use my Garmin eTrex handheld to store flight details. The data can be
downloaded to a computer.

The data consists of a series of lines with data e.g.:
Latitude Longitude Altitude Date Time
Duration Miles mph
N52°01.9574' E001°14.9907' 3693.7 07/10/2005 08:47:38 0 0:36:16
30.462 130.4

This can be imported into a spreadsheet to plot speed/time, height/time, and
location.

Garmin also provide a map function on a CD with the eTrex, that can show the
course plot.

Alternatively you can use a free application like GPSU, to get a course
overlayed on a scanned-in map, from http://www.gpsu.co.uk/.

Steven

news:1135013678.12351f0117238d0d81fe8dc627be130d@r oc.usenetexchange.com...