Peel Ply: Purple Glow?

Old August 19th 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Peel Ply: Purple Glow?

I just started using a fresh batch of resin/hardener from Aeropoxy
(shipped by AS&S last week). I had a single white light off to the
side. I decided to uncover the part 30 hours after the lay up.

When I pulled the peel ply off quickly, the line where it separated
glowed bright purple for about 1/2 second. I couldn't believe it, so
I went and got a couple witnesses and immediately they saw the ply
turn from dim white to bright purple too. I proceeded to pull a
large section off very quickly and that lit up the section of peel ply
from underneath!

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any explanation how it could
even be possible?

We held the separation line up to the light and studied it when it was
perfectly still. There wasn't the slightest bit of purple showing, as
it wasn't being ripped off. The only explanation I can muster is, the
breaking of molecular cross-linking caused a temporary, chemical
reaction, that is not visible unless the epoxy is really fresh and the
surrounding light is not too bright.
Old August 19th 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Aug 18, 9:33*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

no microballoons were used
Old August 19th 08, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:33:28 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

static electricity.
try taking a polyester shirt off in the dark.

Stealth Pilot
Old August 19th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote:
[...]

Stealth Pilot- Hide quoted text -

it had to be static electricity...not because of the color per se, but
the bright glow...pretty cool
Old August 20th 08, 10:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Have you ever seen the green flash on the horizon? ;o)

Tony
Old August 20th 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Aug 19, 1:06 pm, "
wrote:

it had to be static electricity...not because of the color per se, but
the bright glow...pretty cool

Not likely static electricity, but coronal discharge. There's
a difference between a static field and an electric field (a magnetic
field is something else again). A visible spark is static; coronal
discharge (St. Elmo's Fire), or plasma, is electric field activity.
And that's as much as I know. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Elmo's_fire

Dan
Old August 20th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Aug 20, 3:12*pm, wrote:

* * * * *Not likely static electricity, but coronal discharge.

It's neither, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboluminescence

Jason
Old August 21st 08, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Aug 20, 3:13 pm, wrote:
On Aug 20, 3:12 pm, wrote:

Not likely static electricity, but coronal discharge.

It's neither, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboluminescence

Jason

That looks about right.

Dan