Smithsonian museum at Dulles

Old May 30th 05, 05:15 PM
Blanche

Jay Honeck wrote:
And you're right -- I don't remember seeing any pan-handlers.

How has D.C. managed to create such a great system? What's the secret?

All the pan-handlers have offices on the Hill.

Old May 30th 05, 10:06 PM
Jimmy B.

Blanche wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:

And you're right -- I don't remember seeing any pan-handlers.

How has D.C. managed to create such a great system? What's the secret?

All the pan-handlers have offices on the Hill.

Did I just hear a rim shot?
Old May 31st 05, 03:20 AM
George Patterson

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Years? If you're married to a woman it's more likely to be for the rest of your
life.

Not with the divorce rate the way it is. :-)

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old May 31st 05, 07:04 AM
Flyingmonk

94th Aerosquadron, one of my fav places to eat.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Old May 31st 05, 07:16 AM
Flyingmonk

Robert,

I have lived here next door to Dulles since 1976, moved here from
Elkheart, KS. I've been here ever since one could buy a house for
$15,000.00. Now single family homes are starting at $600k+ not
including options. I lived in Herndon when there was only one traffic
light in town and we kids used to go see it change colors when, on rare
occasions, a car would come by. I knew the sherriff and his one and
only deputy by name and they would just scoll me if I did anything
wrong. Now Herndon is overflowing with cops and each one will stun-gun
you and mace you before writing you a ticket for failing to proceed at
a green light within the first two seconds of the color change.

All that land now under the flight paths (departure/arrival) of the
heavies were once cheap, cheap, cheap. Now, you can't touch them
without first selling your momma to a Thai whore house.

Anyways, welcome to NOVA (Northern Virginia).

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Old May 31st 05, 07:20 AM
Flyingmonk

Jay,

What is your ETA? Anything you need from my end? The condo in
Manassas has been rented out. But, if you don't mind our little house,
you and your family are welcome to stay with us and the offer to drive
you around is still good. I am free to show you around, I don't have
any projects going on right now.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Old May 31st 05, 11:45 AM
Cub Driver

On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:55:40 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

How has D.C. managed to create such a great system? What's the secret?

For one thing, it was designed to be graffito-proof. The dim lighting
results from the rough concrete walls, which when you look at them
turn out to be out of reach. And most everything that is within reach
is shiny black.

There's no circular line. While it's theoretically possible to ride
back and forth all day, then get out at a station nearby, it's still
not a convenient sleep. And the Metro card may be time-stamped to
prohibit it--I don't know.

Doubtless there are security cameras, and there may be more kopz
around than I ever saw.

But I think the big deterrent to crime is the fact that the Metro is a
middle-class transportation system. At eleven o'clock it is full of
people in jackets and ties, going home from the theater. Because it is
comfortable, it is used, and because it is used, it is safe (or seems
to be, which is pretty much the same thing).

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old May 31st 05, 12:58 PM
Jay Honeck

Now Herndon is overflowing with cops and each one will stun-gun
you and mace you before writing you a ticket for failing to proceed at
a green light within the first two seconds of the color change.

Wow -- what a great law!

Here in the land of the eternally mellow government employee (can't be THAT
much different than D.C.), the light can be green for 3 - 5 seconds before
anyone even THINKS about moving. If you're 20 cars back, it can be three
changes of the lights.

I think the stun-gun would prove quite useful, actually...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 31st 05, 01:02 PM
Jay Honeck

What is your ETA? Anything you need from my end?

Thanks, Bryan. We're still awaiting "The Final Word" from Margy about
hotels, discounts, landing fees, etc., but we're planning to arrive in D.C.
on Friday, June 10th.

Once I've got a handle on those other arrangements, I'll be able to let you
know what's up.

I really appreciate the lodging offer, but I suspect we'll probably find a
hotel near Dulles, just for convenience sake. Got any suggestions? All I
ask is that it have a suite, with two separate sleeping areas for the kids
and us.

Blue skies!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 31st 05, 02:30 PM
John Gaquin

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

......the light can be green for 3 - 5 seconds before anyone even THINKS
about moving.

It is ironic. Physically operating a car doesn't require a great deal of
skill. But traffic is a dynamic system, and the one requirement for system
smoothness that crosses all boundaries is that people must pay attention,
else the system grind to a halt of its own weight. Yet, inattention and
oblivion are the constants you can find no matter where you go.