How were Have Blue and Tacit Blue codenames chosen?

Old September 29th 03, 02:35 AM
Tex Houston

"Tank Fixer" wrote in message
They have a rather successful line of hanger queens and apron weights too.

Do they keep these 'hanger queens' in a hangar?

Tex

Old September 29th 03, 05:59 AM
John A. Weeks III

In article , Ed Rasimus
wrote:

Another unique modern name is the F-14 Tomcat. Grumman has a long
history of building "cat" planes for the US Navy. This includes the
F4F Wildcat, F6F Hellcat, F7F Tigercat, F8F Bearcat, F9F Panther and
Cougar (Panther was straight wing, the Cougar was sweptwing), F10F
Jaguar, and the F11F Tiger. When the F-14 project began, the Deputy
Cheif of Naval Operations of Air, Tom Conolly, was responsible for
the project from the Navy. The F-14 project became known internally
as Tom's Cat. The name stuck, and the official name became the
Tomcat.

So, if Grumman has a long history of building "cat" named aircraft,
how then is Tomcat "unique"?

The process by which it was named was unique. It ended up with a
name that was essentially an inside joke, in an era where the DOD
normally controlls the names and tries to get political mileage
out of each name.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Old September 29th 03, 06:04 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Tex Houston" wrote in message ...
"Tank Fixer" wrote in message
They have a rather successful line of hanger queens and apron weights too.

Do they keep these 'hanger queens' in a hangar?

That was really cute....the first seventeen times you pulled it, that
is. When are you going to come up with a new word to spell for
everybody?

Brooks

Tex

Old September 29th 03, 06:08 AM
John A. Weeks III

In article , Corey C.
Jordan wrote:

The common thread to Boeing bombers was the word "Fortress", not really
anything related to the atmosphere.

Only the bombers ended up with the Fortress suffix. They also
used suffixes of "lifter" for cargo planes, "tanker" for the
KC-135, and I forget what they called the passenger planes.
Was it the Stratocrusier, or the Stratoliner?

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Old September 29th 03, 11:34 AM
Cub Driver

During WWII, some airplanes were first bought by the Brits, and
the Brits gave them their name. This included the Mustang and
the Lightning.

Or more remarkably, the P-40. The RAF called the small-jawed B & C
model the Tomahawk, the large-jawed D etc the Kittyhawk.

This was a double tribute: to the long line of Curtiss Hawk warplanes,
and to two American icons.

The USAAF and Curtiss then tried to play catchup by retroactively
naming all P-40 models as the Warhawk, which to seem has always seemed
to lack something.

Perhaps what we ought to do is hire out the naming of our aircraft to
the RAF (Air Ministry?), which seems to have a knack for it.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old September 29th 03, 11:38 AM
Cub Driver

So, if Grumman has a long history of building "cat" named aircraft,
how then is Tomcat "unique"?

Because it's a *good* name? That certainly is unique in the annals of
postwar U.S. warplanes.

Well, okay: Raptor. I make another exception for Raptor as well.
That's a very good name!

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old September 30th 03, 12:06 AM
vincent p. norris

Or more remarkably, the P-40. The RAF called the small-jawed B & C
model the Tomahawk, the large-jawed D etc the Kittyhawk......

The USAAF and Curtiss then tried to play catchup by retroactively
naming all P-40 models as the Warhawk, which to seem has always seemed
to lack something.

I was a high school kid, aviation nut and prolific model-builder
during WW II.

My recollection is that *at that time*, the U.S. aviation and model
airplane mags called the small-jawed P-40s Tomahawks, the D (and
perhaps E) Kittyhawk, and the F and subsequent models Warhawk. How
long that continued, I don't know; I got out of school, enlisted, and
no longer saw the mags.

vince norris
Old September 30th 03, 04:49 PM
robert arndt

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..
So, if Grumman has a long history of building "cat" named aircraft,
how then is Tomcat "unique"?

Because it's a *good* name? That certainly is unique in the annals of
postwar U.S. warplanes.

One of the earlier unofficial proposed names was "Alleycat", so I
don't buy the "Tom's Cat" story as "unique". A better substitution is
more likely.

Well, okay: Raptor. I make another exception for Raptor as well.
That's a very good name!

This also started off as "Superstar"- a horrible name. Raptor is more
fitting, but not as a bird of prey... just a dinosaur that should get
a taxpayer extinction.

Rob (being sarcastic on purpose)

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com