What was that airplane?

Old April 28th 04, 07:58 PM

Default What was that airplane?

Two weeks ago I was down in NJ visiting the inlaws. They live in
Cedar Grove, and there is normally a LOT of airplane activity overhead
from Kennedy, Laquardia and Newark, beside Caldwell and a few other
airports nearby.

While I was sitting out on the back deck enjoying the sunshine and
warm temperatures I heard an unusual sounding engine noise. I looked
up and saw a sleek white airplane buzz by with what appeared to be two
turboprops mounted on pylons off the rear of the fuselage. I couldn't
tell for sure but I assumed that the buzzing sound was a result of the
props being at the rear of the pylons. It was moving quickly and I
only got a glimps of it.

Anybody know that that was?

Thanks, Corky Scott

Old April 28th 04, 08:59 PM
Ron Snipes

Might have been a Beechcraft Starship. They are getting rare, beech is
trying to buy them back and cease support.
Ron

Old April 28th 04, 09:07 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, said:
Two weeks ago I was down in NJ visiting the inlaws. They live in
Cedar Grove, and there is normally a LOT of airplane activity overhead
from Kennedy, Laquardia and Newark, beside Caldwell and a few other
airports nearby.

As I said in my blog entry of November 14th, 2003, whenever anybody asks
"what was that airplane", they just saw a Beech Starship:
http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/000112.html
http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/000117.html
http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/000313.html

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"You are installing Internet Explorer 4.0. Windows NT needs to overwrite
Old April 28th 04, 09:42 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
wrote:
While I was sitting out on the back deck enjoying the sunshine and
warm temperatures I heard an unusual sounding engine noise. I looked
up and saw a sleek white airplane buzz by with what appeared to be two
turboprops mounted on pylons off the rear of the fuselage.

Piaggio Avanti? Twin pusher turboprop with T-tail and canard. For
some reason Hangar 53 in Hillboro has dozen models of them.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old April 28th 04, 10:40 PM
nooneimportant

Well it could have been a Piaggio Avanti, another very unique looking plane,
does have a canard, but not a "rear wing" think its more of a "3 lifting
surface" aircraft, wiht twin turboprops in a pusher configuration. Looking
at it from the front it looks like a catfish.... Here's a link::
http://www.piaggioamerica.com/ And i haven't seen a starship in a long time,
hear beech is trying to buy them back and hack them to bits.

Old April 29th 04, 01:59 PM

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:07:05 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

As I said in my blog entry of November 14th, 2003, whenever anybody asks
"what was that airplane", they just saw a Beech Starship:

I know what the Starship and the Piaggio Avanti look like and this
definately wasn't either. Remember, I said the engines were mounted
on pylons. They were not mounted on the rear of the wing. They were
hung out off the rear fuselage and the wing was clean and not swept
back.

It's possible that there was a canard, but I really did not see one.
i'm only assuming that the engines had the props facing the rear
because of the strange noise it made, I did not actually see the props
themselves as the airplane was moving fast and there were trees in the
way of my view.

Corky Scott
Old April 29th 04, 04:31 PM
Peter Duniho

wrote in message
[...] I did not actually see the props
themselves as the airplane was moving fast and there were trees in the
way of my view.

Any chance there were no props, and it was some sort of turbofan that just
happened to sound like it had props? Especially given that it didn't even
sound like a normal prop airplane? Modern, high-bypass turbofans make what
I think is a decidedly non-jet sound.

Given that you didn't see the props, what makes you so certain there were
any?

I can't think of any prop twin with engines mounted on pylons attached to
the rear fuselage, but I can think of lots of jets like that. For sure, I'd
think if there was a prop twin with that configuration, it'd make for easy
identification; surely there aren't *two* types like that.

Pete

Old April 29th 04, 05:05 PM

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 08:31:02 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

Any chance there were no props, and it was some sort of turbofan that just
happened to sound like it had props? Especially given that it didn't even
sound like a normal prop airplane? Modern, high-bypass turbofans make what
I think is a decidedly non-jet sound.

Given that you didn't see the props, what makes you so certain there were
any?

I can't think of any prop twin with engines mounted on pylons attached to
the rear fuselage, but I can think of lots of jets like that. For sure, I'd
think if there was a prop twin with that configuration, it'd make for easy
identification; surely there aren't *two* types like that.

It made a rasping/buzzing type of sound, along with what sounded like
prop noise to me. I've heard a few rear engined airplanes and it had
that kind of sound. Since I did not actually see the props due to the
tree obstruction and the relatively high speed at which it was
traveling, I'd have to conceed that it's possible it was not a turbo
prop.

But if it wasn't, it was one of the strangest sounding turbines I've
ever heard, or something was seriously wrong with them.

Corky Scott
Old April 29th 04, 05:38 PM
Shiver Me Timbers

Remember, I said the engines were mounted
on pylons. They were not mounted on the rear of the wing. They were
hung out off the rear fuselage and the wing was clean and not swept
back.

Sounds like a Russian made new to the market amphibian.

Low wing like the lake bucanneer, twin gas engines, pylon mounted.

Was it blue and white.

Is so it was probably the one at sun and fun the past few years.

I saw a couple of shots of it in the aviation binaries group.

I will ask the original photographer to identify themselves and see if
I can't find it for you.

Give it a couple of hours.
Old April 29th 04, 05:47 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Shiver Me Timbers said:
wrote:
Remember, I said the engines were mounted
on pylons. They were not mounted on the rear of the wing. They were
hung out off the rear fuselage and the wing was clean and not swept
back.

Sounds like a Russian made new to the market amphibian.

This one:
http://xcski.com/gallery/osh_seaplanes/143_be103_2
(hit the button a few times for more views)

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Every computer crashes, because every OS sucks"