Arrogant judges making law...

Old March 19th 05, 01:04 PM
Denny

Default Arrogant judges making law...

Quoted text to follow my comments:

The Federal Judges have gone nuts (so what's new?)... Based on what I
read here a non pilot judge has decided that the controller is
obligated to fly the airplane... These kinds of garbage rulings have
enormous concequences for the rest of us as pilots... The general
public doesn't understand and doesn't care and thus will remain silent,
but we pilots need to start protesting to the courts( with real
letters, not email) about their bad decisions...

*****************Lifted shamelessly from AOPA bulletin*******
FAA accused in two Florida crashes
Instrument flying in Florida is enshrouded in a heavy fog of
litigation. Two recent court cases, one pending and one already
decided, have some similarities that could place some of the blame on
FAA controllers.

Survivors of a pilot who was killed in a crash sued the FAA in federal
court recently, alleging that controllers didn't warn the pilot of his
position on final approach and that FAA employees didn't maintain
landing equipment properly.

On November 27, 2003, Dr. George Swanson, a physician from Texas, was
flying a Swearingen Merlin II on an ILS approach into Craig Municipal
Airport in Jacksonville. Controllers had advised the pilot that the
weather was below landing minimums and gave him alternate airports,
according to the NTSB's preliminary report.

But the lawsuit claims that controllers didn't advise Swanson of the
alternate airports and failed to warn him that he was flying too low on
final approach because of irregularities in transponder altitude
readouts that were "greater than 300 feet in error." The lawsuit also
alleges that FAA employees were negligent in inspecting the ILS for
electrical interference from nearby microwave and cell phone towers.

The pilot attempted the approach but hit trees behind a shopping
center. Swanson died in the incident while his four children on board
reported only minor injuries.

The lawsuit comes on the heels of another case in which a federal judge
found the FAA mostly liable for a 2001 crash that killed two attorneys
and their two clients at Jacksonville International Airport. In the
decision reached November 15, the FAA was faulted for not giving the
pilot current and complete weather information. The pilot in that
crash, Donald Weidner, was found to be 35 percent responsible because
he became disoriented after two missed approaches (one of which was at
Craig).

The FAA claimed that the pilot was "well-informed about the weather"
during "all stages of the flight," reported The Florida Times-Union. A
contributing factor may have been cold medication, not approved by the
FAA, that he had taken. "Weidner's decision to undertake the flight
despite his illness, fatigue, and ingestion of medications does not
meet the standard of care expected of a reasonably prudent instrument
pilot," said Justice Department attorney Colleen Conlin, according to
the newspaper.

There will be a separate trial to determine the amount of damages. -
Nathan A. Ferguson

Old March 19th 05, 02:32 PM
Dan Luke

"Denny" wrote:
The Federal Judges have gone nuts

No jury?

Old March 19th 05, 04:51 PM
Matt Barrow

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"Denny" wrote:
The Federal Judges have gone nuts

No jury?

Juries determine facts, not law (who is responsible -- this might not be
the case here). Further, check http://www.fija.org for how lame juries can
be made when a judge or the government (at any level) decides to make a
point.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old March 19th 05, 11:51 PM
skym

Cases against the US govt are tried to a federal judge, not a jury.
The gov't doesn't trust juries.

Old March 20th 05, 12:17 AM
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

Juries determine facts, not law (who is responsible -- this might not be

Juries don't determine facts. Facts exist or don't.

--
Bob Noel
looking for a sig the lawyers will like
Old March 20th 05, 06:34 PM
Matt Barrow

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

Juries determine facts, not law (who is responsible -- this might not be

Juries don't determine facts. Facts exist or don't.

Hmmm!! As my Dad used to say, "Is that a fact?".

And how do you know they exist or not?

Gee, using that logic, why do we bother to investigate? Hell, why do we go
further and bother to try the case at all?

Matt
---------------------
Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
Montrose, CO

Old March 20th 05, 08:02 PM
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

Juries determine facts, not law (who is responsible -- this might not be

Juries don't determine facts. Facts exist or don't.

Hmmm!! As my Dad used to say, "Is that a fact?".

yep

And how do you know they exist or not?

Think about the difference between having commited a crime and
being convicted of a crime in a court of law. Think about how a
jury could actually "determine facts" if some of the evidence is excluded
because it was improperly obtained.

Gee, using that logic, why do we bother to investigate? Hell, why do we go
further and bother to try the case at all?

yeah, that's a logical conclusion to reach...

Old March 20th 05, 11:19 PM
George Patterson

"The law is what the court decides it is."
Chief Justice Marshall - early 19th century

George Patterson
I prefer Heaven for climate but Hell for company.
Old March 21st 05, 03:56 AM
Matt Barrow

"George Patterson" wrote in message
"The law is what the court decides it is."
Chief Justice Marshall - early 19th century

Hmmm!! I can't find that quote anywhere...

--
Matt
---------------------

Old March 21st 05, 04:02 AM
Matt Barrow

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

Juries determine facts, not law (who is responsible -- this might

not be

Juries don't determine facts. Facts exist or don't.

Hmmm!! As my Dad used to say, "Is that a fact?".

yep

And how do you know they exist or not?

Think about the difference between having commited a crime and
being convicted of a crime in a court of law. Think about how a
jury could actually "determine facts" if some of the evidence is excluded
because it was improperly obtained.

Not an attorney, are 'ya? Or an epistolologist?

Gee, using that logic, why do we bother to investigate? Hell, why do we

go
further and bother to try the case at all?

yeah, that's a logical conclusion to reach...

Yeah, your attempt to spin your dumbass remark is where it leads.

--
Matt