Trig TT22 transponder issues

Old June 3rd 17, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Echo

Default Trig TT22 transponder issues

Installed my transponder this off season, passed the transponder check to make it legal. First flight with it yesterday. Called the local controlling agency to check it out. They had nothing on me, but they did once I cycled the transponder off and back on. I then realized that where the "ALT" is indicated on the lower right of the screen with the little airplane symbol was actually just 3 dashes instead. Multiple times in flight I noticed it kicked off to the dashes, and I wasn't broadcasting. It seems a reboot worked, but not for long. Running it with a premade wiring harness and L2 antenna, dual LiPo batteries. Anyone have any ideas?

Jordan
ASW20
Old June 3rd 17, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Contact Trig, they have the best service I have ever experienced with a instrument company.

Kevin
92
Old June 3rd 17, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I agree with Kevin - Trig were very helpful when I had a wiring issue.
I could only suggest that you check that the pneumatic plumbing is
installed correctly and functioning properly.

--
Dan, 5J
Old June 3rd 17, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Echo

No the altitude reported indicates fine. It's where the airplane flashes when it gets pinged. I'll check with their north American distributor and see what info they have.
Old June 4th 17, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 1:16:51 PM UTC-7, Echo wrote:
No the altitude reported indicates fine. It's where the airplane flashes when it gets pinged. I'll check with their north American distributor and see what info they have.

Give them a call in Scotland on Monday morning. They are quite responsive.
Jim
Old June 4th 17, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 9:00:55 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 1:16:51 PM UTC-7, Echo wrote:
No the altitude reported indicates fine. It's where the airplane flashes when it gets pinged. I'll check with their north American distributor and see what info they have.

Give them a call in Scotland on Monday morning. They are quite responsive..
Jim

were you high enough to normally be in radar contact with ATC? Were you orientated so your antenna was not shielded from ATC by the fuselage? Do you have a long coax to the antenna? Do you have a low loss antenna cable? Do you have a ground plane under the antenna?
Old June 18th 17, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 5:34:46 AM UTC-7, Echo wrote:
Installed my transponder this off season, passed the transponder check to make it legal. First flight with it yesterday. Called the local controlling agency to check it out. They had nothing on me, but they did once I cycled the transponder off and back on. I then realized that where the "ALT" is indicated on the lower right of the screen with the little airplane symbol was actually just 3 dashes instead. Multiple times in flight I noticed it kicked off to the dashes, and I wasn't broadcasting. It seems a reboot worked, but not for long. Running it with a premade wiring harness and L2 antenna, dual LiPo batteries. Anyone have any ideas?

Jordan
ASW20

The only thing in the manual that addresses this is this:

Warning Messages
If the transponder detects a problem, the screen will indicate WARNING and a brief statement of the problem. Depending on the nature of the problem, your transponder may not be replying to interrogations. Note the message on the screen and pass that information to your avionics maintenance organisation. Press ENT to clear the message; if the fault is still present the message will reappear.

My guess is that the transponder detected an impedance mismatch with the antenna and shut down transmissions to protect itself. A mismatch could be the result of a damaged coax (there may be no external signs of damage). Let us know what Trig says.

Tom
Old June 18th 17, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Echo

Will do. Mid continent (the North American distributor) said check connections. No screen messages. Gonna reset all hookups and try again this weekend...then it's a call to trig.

Old June 19th 17, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

1. Where did you put your L2 antenna? I did fine putting it in the nose
after
shaping a balsa piece to fit.

2. How did you route the coax? With a lifting instrument panel you have to
be
careful the coax does not get mangled by adjacent hardware.

3. Are the coax connectors secure to the conductors, especially outer?

If it gets to the point that you might have to ship it out for diagnosis,
it might
help to hook up the removed components to a battery. If there's a major
airport within 50 miles you should see replies to TCAS interrogations from

the heavies. You don't have to be in the air to receive TCAS
interrogations.

But do double check the harness plugs are seated properly before doing
anything else.