Wearing a G-1 Flight Jacket Off Base?

Old October 29th 03, 07:37 AM
dano

Obviously, you haven't been around NAS Brunswick

There are quite a few folks up here who wear them; I would be among them if
I had the extra cash...

Dano, AWC

"Jake Donovan" wrote in message
I haven't seen anyone wearing Aviation Greens since the mid 80's. They

are
still in the Uniform Regs though. (As someone stated earlier, we have
enough uniforms to drag around with us.)

JD

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" wrote in message
On 10/27/03 3:34 PM, in article
, "Justin Broderick"
wrote:

(Rich) wrote in message
. com...

During the war Fleet Admiral EJ King designed a grey uniform that he
proposed to be all purpose, eliminating khaki and the service dress
blues (which he felt, reportedly, were too much like the Royal Navy).
Never a popular uniform and generally only worn in King's presence or
in East Coast commands where he was likely to appear, it barely
survived his tenure and was no longer authorized after 1948.

Working gray was supposed to replace working khaki, but not service
dress blue. After early '43 blues could be "dress," which was the
basic pre-war SD blues (A, B or C), or "service" which could have
stripes only halfway round the sleeves and could be worn with the
"service" combination cap (black chinstrap instead of gold and no
scambled eggs) or blue garrison cap. Service blues could also be worn
with the gray shirt and collar insignia, another of King's ideas that
didn't really catch on.

Gray short-sleeved shirts and shorts were also supposed to replace
tropical khaki, but I don't know if anyone ever actually wore it.
Grays were considered something of an abomination in the PTO.

For a brief time in the 1980's aviation greens were not authorized

and
the use of brown shoes with khakis was likewise done away with, but

in
recent years greens have made a comeback and are authorized to be

worn
with brown shoes.

Did Lehman bring back the aviation greens?

--Justin

They never went away. It's just that most folks choose not to buy them,

and
since their a working uniform, no aviation skipper I know of has ever
required their wear.

--Woody

Old October 29th 03, 01:43 PM
nafod40

Doug \"Woody\" and Erin Beal wrote:
My last trip to Brunswick was January 1995 for a week. DANGED cold!

snip

You guys should get medals for surviving those winters.

I remember the time I was relaxing in Norfolk in 65 degree heat, and got
the call to shoot up to Brunswick so we could Link 11 with a ship at
Bath Iron Works. Milk run. Full stop included, so we could get some
lobsters for HomeLant. Check the weather...20 degrees and blowing snow.
Ouch!

Good thing I was the plane commander, so the nugget could preflight for
the way back.

Old October 29th 03, 02:14 PM
Robert Moore

"Doug \"Woody\" and Erin Beal" wrote
My last trip to Brunswick was January 1995 for a week. DANGED
cold!

Jeeze...I spent three years ('59-'62) there in VP-21 (P-2V).
Aviation Greens would have been comfortable even in June!
My last winter there ('61-'62), we had 21 straight days when
the temperature never rose to zero at any time. It would drop
to minus 25-30 at night. For enduring the Brunswick climate,
we were rewarded with deployments to Iceland and Newfoundland,
both warmer than NHZ.

Bob Moore
VP-21, FAETULANT, VP-46
PanAm (retired)
Old October 29th 03, 02:38 PM
Pechs1

Joe- Some of the Air Force officers I work with have told me that
the large number of unifornms required of a Naval Officer
was one of the factors that led them to join the Air Force. BRBR

Even the ones that had been in the USAF...hard to believe that somebody would
want to put up with the USAF cuz of uniforms...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old October 29th 03, 03:30 PM
George Shirley

vincent p. norris wrote:

We had nothing like that when I was in. We had ankle-high "field
shoes," which we called "boondockers," that were made of inside-out
(suede) leather that was very light brown when new. I can't recall
ever hearing them called "boots."

They were nice in a cold drafty airplane in winter; we could tuck the
legs of the flight suit into them.

vince norris

That doesn't make sense, because somehow, the first sentence of the
second paragraph got lost in the shuffle. It should read:

Some of us (pilots) wore half-Wellingtons, which we did call "boots."
They were nice in a cold drafty airplane in winter; we could tuck the
legs of the flight suit into them.

vince norris

Vince: I flew crew on transports in 1958-1959 for the Navy and we all
wore "half-Wellingtons". They were bought at the Navy Exchange, were
made by Frye, and were called "Jet Boots." Not an official uniform item
but a whole lot better in unpressurized prop transports than the
official low quarter shoes. Shore Patrol just loved to catch us going
ashore at the bases we landed at with those boots on and would usually
write us up. Once the write up got back to the squadron the skipper
would send them an acknowledgement and then tear the citation up. Sort
of unofficial approval to wear the boots. But, hey, we weren't allowed
to wear jeans ashore back then either. You had to wear "trousers with a
crease on the front of the leg" or the Marines at the gate wouldn't let
you out.

Never saw an officer or enlisted going off base in a flight suit, just
wasn't allowed. You had to wear the uniform of the day to get out. This
was at Pax River, MD. Flight suits, flight jackets and boots went in
your flight locker at the hangar.

George

Old October 29th 03, 04:23 PM
Tex Houston

"George Shirley" wrote in message
.. .
Vince: I flew crew on transports in 1958-1959 for the Navy and we all
wore "half-Wellingtons". They were bought at the Navy Exchange, were
made by Frye, and were called "Jet Boots."

snipped
George

George,

I continued to wear 'Jet Boots' after I retired and needing replacements I
went to the local Frye dealer and ordered them and the order went
unfulfilled because the pattern had been discontinued. My dealer gave me
the number of the factory remainders store and I bought the last two pairs
of the black ones in my size. After years of resoleing they finally wore
out. I found the Justin 'Ropers' model an adequate substitute although the
tops are much higher.

I still think they went well with the uniform.

Tex Houston

Old October 29th 03, 05:00 PM
Jake Donovan

Dano,

You care correct. Jet guy. Made one stop at NAS Buunswick in 85 in a test
14B. Summer but still cool.

JD

Old October 29th 03, 05:13 PM
Leanne

You care correct. Jet guy. Made one stop at NAS Buunswick in 85 in a test
14B. Summer but still cool.

It has long been known by the residents of Maine that they have two seasons,
wintah and the 4th of July.

Leanne - Who still loves to visit friends and family there.

Old October 29th 03, 06:25 PM
George Shirley

Tex Houston wrote:

[...]

I did too, but the Armed Forces Police in DC sure didn't. And, when I
went to sea in late '59 I had to send them home. Wore mine until they
wore out and then went to just plain shoes. Had a duplicate pair made in
Thailand in 1981 that I still wear occasionally. Don't wear them that
much since they look funny with shorts and a tee shirt. The shoemaker
knew what I wanted when I said "Jet Boots". Evidentally he made a lot of
them during SEA for the zoomies on I&I.

Oh yeah, I no longer own a suit or a tie and only one pair of "dress"
shoes to wear with slacks and a sports shirt. BSEG

George

George

bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
PC flight simulators Bjørnar Bolsøy Military Aviation 178 December 14th 03 12:14 PM
Wearing a G-1 flight jacket off base? Michael Naval Aviation 31 October 25th 03 08:29 AM