L-188 and P-3

Old April 30th 04, 08:25 PM
Mike

Default L-188 and P-3

Why was the Lockheed Electra L-188 selected by the U. S. Navy for its
Orion P-3? What modifications did it undergo to become the Orion P-3?
Would there be any federal documents from that era that might be
relevant? The contract was awarded in 1959. The first delivery was in
1962.
Thanks.
Mike

Old May 1st 04, 02:27 PM
Pechs1

yared- Why was the Lockheed Electra L-188 selected by the U. S. Navy for its
Orion P-3? What modifications did it undergo to become the Orion P-3?
BRBR

Bunks, microwave, room to store perdium $....
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old May 2nd 04, 01:06 AM
Harriet and John

Pechs1 always has very pleasant thing to say about us (ugh!) but another
source is David Reade's "The Age of Orion" and the first chapter will
amplify some of the data in "damon's" URL. I was the first P3C PPC in the
Navy as CO of VP-56 at the Fleet Introduction and while it was centuries ago
(it seems) the data is good and pretty much the way I remember it.

John McIntyre
--
Author of
The Last Boomerang

"Pechs1" wrote in message
yared- Why was the Lockheed Electra L-188 selected by the U. S. Navy for

its
Orion P-3? What modifications did it undergo to become the Orion P-3?
BRBR

Bunks, microwave, room to store perdium $....
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer

Old May 2nd 04, 02:06 AM
Jim

On Sun, 02 May 2004 00:06:16 GMT, "Harriet and John"
wrote:

I was the first P3C PPC in the
Navy as CO of VP-56 at the Fleet Introduction and while it was centuries ago
(it seems) the data is good and pretty much the way I remember it.

John McIntyre

Did you deploy to KIKF shortly thereafter?

ACC USN ret.
NKX, BIKF, NAB, CV-63, NIR
67-69 69-71 71-74 77-80 80-85
&
74-77

Co-founder of newsgroup - RAMN
Anti-spam measures in action.
For e-mail response delete "nospam"

Old May 2nd 04, 11:35 AM
Marco P.J. Borst

See our booklet "P-3 Orion, Volume 2" which still can be ordered at the
Scramble shop in The Netherlands. See www.scramble.nl.

Further information about the P-3 Orion can be found on our website
http://home.planet.nl/~p3orion

--
Regards,
Marco P.J. Borst

website: http://home.planet.nl/~p3orion
MSN Messenger:
subscribe to the P-3 Orion e-mail group:

"The reward of a job well done is to have done it."

"Mike" schreef in bericht
om...

Old May 2nd 04, 02:36 PM
Pechs1

Darryl- Oh come on, don't be silly! They didn't have microwave ovens back
then!
:-) BRBR

Silly of me...back then, before the $ devalue required a bigger $ room and
before MWO, they had a complete Martha Stewart kitchen, complete with a little
Dolly in flooffy skirt and flowered apron.

'Lunch is served boys'...twinkle twinkle , batt, batt of eyelashes....
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old May 23rd 04, 06:14 PM
Jim Morris

Once traded a case of Navy survival knives to an Air Force mess sgt for a
case of steaks for one of our Market time ops. at NAF Naha.
--
jim morris