Jim's EAA Platform '05

Old July 11th 05, 07:20 AM
Morgans

"Andrew Gideon" wrote

You mean "pull" like the rudder or elevator? I was thinking "push" like

the
flaps.

I was thinking "pushed", as in *out* the open door of an airplane, without a
'chute! g
--
Jim in NC

Old July 12th 05, 09:38 PM
Andrew Gideon

RST Engineering wrote:

TryÂ*it.Â*Â*SpitballsÂ*atÂ*lowÂ*machÂ*are
very efficient.

Why not just wrap the paper around a rock? In a Fed Ex envelope.

I'm stuck. On one hand, I'd want to see that sort of thing prohibited from
a contest. On the other hand, one should certainly be rewarded for
thinking outside the box.

Laugh

- Andrew

Old July 12th 05, 10:17 PM
RST Engineering

Because the rules read: One piece of 20# bond typewriter/copier paper 8½ x
11" plus two pieces of "magic mending" tape not more than 1" wide and a
total of 2" long. That's all. No paperclips, rocks, or other materials.

Jim

Old July 12th 05, 10:52 PM

Andrew Gideon wrote:
RST Engineering wrote:

Try it. Spitballs at low mach are
very efficient.

Why not just wrap the paper around a rock? In a Fed Ex envelope.

I'm stuck. On one hand, I'd want to see that sort of thing prohibited from
a contest. On the other hand, one should certainly be rewarded for
thinking outside the box.

Back in my high school physics class, we had a project where we had to
build something to hold one egg, which would be dropped out a 3rd-floor
window, and survive, with a budget of I think 99 cents. Everybody else
build these contraptions with strings and rubber bands, or parachutes
that were too small. I took a packet of gelatin, a Big Gulp cup from
7-11, and molded the egg in the middle. 39 cents. Made one hell of a
SPLAT when it landed but the egg didn't break. Cheapest one that
worked, so I got the prize.

-cwk.

Old July 13th 05, 12:06 AM
Montblack

)
[snip]
Back in my high school physics class, we had a project where we had to
build something to hold one egg, which would be dropped out a 3rd-floor
window, and survive, with a budget of I think 99 cents. Everybody else
build these contraptions with strings and rubber bands, or parachutes
that were too small. I took a packet of gelatin, a Big Gulp cup from
7-11, and molded the egg in the middle. 39 cents. Made one hell of a
SPLAT when it landed but the egg didn't break. Cheapest one that
worked, so I got the prize.

Mine was similar: an empty medium size oatmeal container, a quart baggie
full of applesauce (with pressure release holes punched in it), a rock in
the bottom to right-side-up the container, some Wheaties as packing peanuts,
and my egg - cocooned in the applesauce bag. Guy on the school roof
"flipped" my oatmeal tube. That little egg didn't stand a chance hitting
upside-down.

Montblack

Old July 13th 05, 10:40 PM
Andrew Gideon

RST Engineering wrote:

NoÂ*paperclips,Â*rocks,Â*orÂ*otherÂ*materials.

Hey! It would appear that saliva is precluded.

- Andrew

Jim's EAA Platform '05 RST Engineering Home Built 18 July 14th 05 09:57 PM
Hydraulic Motion Platform saotware and hardware [email protected] Simulators 3 November 13th 04 01:28 AM
Flying Platform Ballchain Home Built 1 October 7th 04 10:17 PM
flying platform Bill3 Home Built 5 October 5th 04 07:00 PM
172P vs 172R for instrument platform..... Jonathan Instrument Flight Rules 6 July 22nd 04 01:52 AM