Left Coast Oshkosh Convoy

Old July 14th 05, 10:46 PM
RST Engineering

It was the better part of ten years ago. I freely admit that, lacking
updated information, that I tend to avoid places that have not been good to
me. I'll put BFF back on the OK list.

Jim

When was this Jim? In 2003, we stopped there on our way back. The little
Mom & Pop motel kept two cars out at the FBO, was about $60 for the night,
and there was a great steakhouse next door. Maybe things have changed
since them...or...improved since your last experience (?)

Old July 15th 05, 12:15 AM
RST Engineering

Jack Allison and anybody else RON Rawlins ...

GET YOUR RESERVATIONS TODAY. THere is a softball tournament in Rawlins next
weekend and the place is nearly sold out. I had to settle for a smoking
(yecch) room at Day's Inn, but was promised that if a NS room became
available I'd get it. THey also promised that if I had to take the smoker
that they would open up the windows in the morning.

Jim

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Current thinking ...

Old July 15th 05, 03:29 AM
Jack Allison

RST Engineering wrote:

It was the better part of ten years ago. I freely admit that, lacking
updated information, that I tend to avoid places that have not been good to
me. I'll put BFF back on the OK list.

Ah, good to know they've improved rather than declined. Can't blame you
for not going back after your first experience. Glad I could provide an
updated PIREP.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old July 15th 05, 03:34 AM
Jack Allison

RST Engineering wrote:

Jack Allison and anybody else RON Rawlins ...

GET YOUR RESERVATIONS TODAY. THere is a softball tournament in Rawlins next
weekend and the place is nearly sold out. I had to settle for a smoking
(yecch) room at Day's Inn, but was promised that if a NS room became
available I'd get it. THey also promised that if I had to take the smoker
that they would open up the windows in the morning.

Yep, I called them this morning and had to do the same thing. I'll bet
we'll have to opt for the airing out option.

Old July 16th 05, 12:22 AM
RST Engineering

Jack --

I know Jay will have a hissyfit for me suggesting this, but...

fuel at Torrington WY (about an hour past Rawlins) is 63 cents cheaper than
Rawlins. The problem with Torrington is that it is on the other side of the
continental divide, and all that humid air from Nebraska/Colorado makes for
some pretty spectacular buildups in the afternoon backing up to the divide
around Medicine Bow on selected days. Whether or not next Friday is a
"selected day" remains to be seen.

63 cents for me works out to about 30 bucks. That ain't chump change.

That and we have an hour less to fly on Saturday to get to Jay's gig.

I'm going to make a Friday night reservation in both Rawlins (which I have
already done) and Torrington (which I have NOT done).

The problem with Torrington reservations is this:

The Holiday Express is $75 a night, but they have shuttle service. The
Super 8 is $62 a night, but does not have shuttle service. The airport car
is first come, first serve. The Super 8 is a little less than 2 miles from
the airport, but 2 miles with luggage is a pain. There is no cab service in
town.

My hit is to make a reservation at the Super 8 and gamble that we will be
the first in line for the airport courtesy car. If not, most small
midwestern towns will let you hitch a ride with the city cops if there is no
cab service. Failing that, I always carry an 11x17 sign saying "Pilot -
Airport" and you can generally hitch a ride within five minutes.

How say you?

Jim

Old July 16th 05, 04:01 AM
Jack Allison

RST Engineering wrote:

fuel at Torrington WY (about an hour past Rawlins) is 63 cents cheaper than
Rawlins.

Hmmm, .63 a gallon cheaper would probably be somewhere around $20 for
me. Heck, that's another T-shirt I can buy at OSH...I'm in! :-)

That and we have an hour less to fly on Saturday to get to Jay's gig.

Which means one *more* hour to hang out at Jay's gig.

I'm going to make a Friday night reservation in both Rawlins (which I have
already done) and Torrington (which I have NOT done).

Sounds like a plane. I can dig up the number for the Super-8 and (shhh,
don't tell Jay) do the same thing. Perhaps they have the same deal as
the Day's in in Rawlins where they'll hold the room until a certain time
w/o a credit card.

Old July 16th 05, 04:01 AM
Jay Honeck

I know Jay will have a hissyfit for me suggesting this, but...

Please. I throw "****fits" -- no "hissyfits" in these parts...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 16th 05, 04:32 AM
RST Engineering

Just made a reservation at the Best Value Inn ( the successor to the Super-8
motel.) in Torrington Phone number

(307) 532-7118

Go for it.

One of us need to get there first to glom onto the airport courtesy car.
You go like dammity hell, I'll go like dammity hell, and one of us will get
there first.

Jim

Old July 16th 05, 04:14 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

Please. I throw "****fits" -- no "hissyfits" in these parts...

Bet you never get your panties in a wad either. :-)

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old July 17th 05, 10:48 PM
Jack Allison

RST Engineering wrote:
Just made a reservation at the Best Value Inn ( the successor to the Super-8
motel.) in Torrington Phone number

(307) 532-7118

Thanks, just made the reservation.