WWII warplanes vs combat sim realism

Old November 22nd 03, 09:53 AM
Nele_VII

Mr Irvine, Mr. Kauppinen,

I have also read the book(s) "Fighter" and it is a great reference, too, but
I also have re-printed Me-109E-3 flight manual in Serbo-Croatian(!) language
and I have read RAE evaluation on Internet.

Firstly, the figther's name for export was Me-109. The manual is the
re-print of the original manual for Yugoslav Kingdom (1918-1941) called
"Me-109 manual". I do not have it handy, but I remembered few things;

Max speed: 570 kph
Max allowed dive speed: 750 kph

Dive procedu

1) Turn the trim whell up so the plane is "tail-heavy", take off the
throttle, propeller pitch 12 (I -might- be mistaken for the last one-sorry,
it comes from the memory);
2) Depress stick "down";
3) If aircraft is diving on it is own, abort dive emmidiatelly
4) max allowed dive speed is 750 kph.

Taking the plane out from the dive:
1) DO NOT (bold letters!) pull on the stick!
2) since the aircraft is wheel-trimmed "tail-heavy" (i.e. up), leave the
aircraft to bring itself from the dive (black-on white manual statement!)

So, there was some worry... but for the tail, not wings!

From the RAE evaluation of the captured Bf-109;

quote
Safety in the Dive
During a dive at 400 mph all three controls were in turn displaced slightly
and released. No vibration, flutter or snaking developed. If the elevator is
trimmed for level flight at full throttle, a large push is needed to hold in
the dive, and there is a temptation to trim in. If, in fact, the airplane is
trimmed into the dive, recovery is difficult unless the trimmer is moved
back owing to the excessive heaviness of the elevator.
Elevator
This is an exceptionally good control at low air speeds, being fairly heavy
and not over-sensitive. Above 250 mph, however, it becomes too heavy, so
that maneuvrability is seriously restricted. When diving at 400 mph a pilot,
pulling very hard, cannot put on enough 'g' to black himself out; stick
force -'g' probably exsceeds 20 lb/g in the dive.
end quote

It is strange that RAE experts didn't have 109's flight manual and made such
errors in handling, especialy they have sold Hurricane I fighters to
Yugoslavia after Yugoslavia has obtained Me-109s!

Book "fighter" also describes the Bf-109 that it has the tighter circle. It
is not true, but it has the best instantenuos turn rate-Huricane is the
second, and Spitfire on the third place. But, due to the high wing loading
(no matter that the slats are installed), Bf-109 bleeds speed very quickly
in turns.

Since Mr. Irvine and I are reffering to the same source and same plane
version, it should be noted that these information are valid for the
Bf/Me-109E-3 ONLY.

--

Nele

NULLA ROSA SINE SPINA
Mark Irvine wrote in message ...

"Jukka O. Kauppinen" wrote in
message ...
decides the fight! Alas for the luftwaffe the Bf109 wings were not

designed
for guns etc so were not terrifically robust, the pilots were often

more
worried about the wings falling off than blacking out......

Incorrect.

Having guns or not doesn't have anything to do with the strenght of the
wings. 109s from A-E had wing weapons, again one of the K models was
designed for wing weapons. The wings were also one single structure,
which made it possible to make them very strong.

"- Are the stories true, that the 109 had weak wings and would loose
them easily?
He has never heard of a 109 loosing its wings from his experience or
others. The wings could withstand 12 g's and since most pilots could
only handle at most 9 g's there was never a problem. He was never
worried about loosing a wing in any form of combat."
- Franz Stigler, German fighter ace. 28 victories. Interview of Franz
Stigler.

snip

The reference that I was using was Len Deightons book "Fighter" which
examines the Battle of Britain. When discussing tactics he asserts that

the
Bf109 pilots used the tactic of diving away as the Bf109 engine maintained
power during the dive unlike that generation of Merlin. However the 109
pilots tended to pull out of their dives in a shallower curve, due to fears
over the wings. The spitfire pilots would continue the dive longer and

then
pull out harder, so overhauling them and pushing home their attack. This

is
of course a generalisation, and it is not a claim that the Bf109 was a bad
aircraft.

I do wonder how much of this stemmed from the narrow undercarraige, which
while it allowed wing removal while the aircraft sat on its own wheels,

also
forced a narrow undercarraige. Presumably if the thing toppled over the
main area of damage would be the wings. Something like 5% of Bf109s made
were reportedly lost in landing accidents. One would assume that a
contributing factor was the narrow undercarraige. Something that was
certainly looked at in the Fw190, which had one of the widest fighter
undercarraiges of the war!

In summary the Bf109 could probably take a lot of stress and it is not as
though they were falling out of the sky due to wings falling off. However
in all likelyhood the pilots did have a concern. It could be one of those
cases where perception is everything....

Mark

Old November 22nd 03, 10:57 AM
Greg Hennessy

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 08:17:29 GMT, (The Revolution
Will Not Be Televised) wrote:

I dunno, at least the Valiant came in on time and almost to budget.
which is impressive

Not just impressive, a bleeding miracle considering the money which was
wasted on projects like the brabazon.

if we ignore the fatigue situation for a minute.

Was re-sparring them ever seriously looked at ?

They really should have made a choice between the Vulcan and the
Victor, though, and probably in favour of the latter.

I'd agree with that. I reckon if they had done so, the victor would still
be in service today.

Think of all the french aerospace workers we can featherbed.

No, this is not a collaborative effort.

Ahh we wouldn't be good europeans then mate :-).

They can work for certain
flagship programs at the political level, but one financial quagmire
at a time until the Eurofighter procurement and the A-whatever
(ex-FLA) contract is complete. This is a UK-led supplier effort.

/me shudders at the thoughts of Nimrod AEW.

- I doubt they'd go for embedded engines again.

Yes, with a modern high bypass turbofan, it would lead to some interesting
levels of wing root thickness.

Dig those old Short Sperrin airframes out of storage now!

LOL! Thinking about it, a lifting body design like boeing was proposing for
future air lifters could take nice thrifty turbofans with humongous amounts
of internal volume for fuel, electronics and things to drop on the heads of
the other side.

greg
--
$ReplyAddress =~ s#\@.*$##; # Delete everything after the '@'
The Following is a true story.....
Old November 22nd 03, 11:25 AM
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article ,
Greg Hennessy nntp wrote:
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:30:19 GMT, (The Revolution
Will Not Be Televised) wrote:

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:53:55 +0000, Greg Hennessy
wrote:

A reengined victor would be superior to the vulcan in all aspects of what
you propose IMHO.

Carrying 50% more bombload, higher and faster.

Yeah, but let's face it, all the old V-force are shagged, and in any
case wouldn't have the same pork-barrel job-creation dynamic as a new
aircraft.

Quite. The unnecessary selection and production of 3 aircraft was an act of
political stupidity. Nonsense about it being 'insurance' should have been
sorted at the trial stage.

Four aircraft. There was the Short Sperrin as well, albeit prototypes
only. In a sense you can see why they went for multiple designs -
Victor and Vulcan were very daring designs for their day, Valiant
(and Sperrin) would work, but might not be good enough, long enough.
However actually going into production with three of the designs.. hmm.
If they'd done the four designs as prototypes and then built one of them
once they were sure it would work - well, perhaps there'd have been monet
over for the Avro 730 (or even the EE P10..)

Yes, airbus will suggest using the wings and engines of the A-400M on a new
slender fuselage and call it the A-95M Ursa, The maritime variant, A-142M
would be an ideal nimrod replacement.

Yes, with a modern high bypass turbofan, it would lead to some interesting
levels of wing root thickness.

Still think it's amazing that the original Comet wing managed to go from
housing the Ghost to the Avon to the Spey..

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/
Old November 22nd 03, 01:49 PM
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:57:47 +0000, Greg Hennessy
wrote:

I dunno, at least the Valiant came in on time and almost to budget.
which is impressive

Not just impressive, a bleeding miracle considering the money which was
wasted on projects like the brabazon.

Too true.

if we ignore the fatigue situation for a minute.

Was re-sparring them ever seriously looked at ?

IIRC it was considered, but the cost was prohibitive. I think the
jigs had gone west by then, and Vulcan B.2 was the next stage on
everybody's minds.

They really should have made a choice between the Vulcan and the
Victor, though, and probably in favour of the latter.

I'd agree with that. I reckon if they had done so, the victor would still
be in service today.

I dunno, the cost/role issue would raise it's head as it did
historically. John Nott would have settled their hash. What we
really need is a new type with 30-40 years of operational life at a
shatteringly low pound sterling per bomb cost, rather than trying to
reanimate an old V Force zombie which guzzles fuel using late '50's
engine technology.

Think of all the french aerospace workers we can featherbed.

No, this is not a collaborative effort.

Ahh we wouldn't be good europeans then mate :-).

Nobody else is pushing a similar requirement, although I'm sure the
French will jump on the bandwagon to "collaborate" (**** it up) if
they thought it might actually have a danger of appearing. We can
call it RAF A.L. to annoy them.

They can work for certain
flagship programs at the political level, but one financial quagmire
at a time until the Eurofighter procurement and the A-whatever
(ex-FLA) contract is complete. This is a UK-led supplier effort.

/me shudders at the thoughts of Nimrod AEW.

Yeah, but that was the internal squiggly bits fit. This project is an
existing-tech come as you are party. No new mission-critical systems
to be built from scratch and which can fail the airframe and the whole
project.

Dig those old Short Sperrin airframes out of storage now!

LOL! Thinking about it, a lifting body design like boeing was proposing for
future air lifters could take nice thrifty turbofans with humongous amounts
of internal volume for fuel, electronics and things to drop on the heads of
the other side.

This is what we want. Sod the radar signature, if the opposition have
any credible ability to a) detect it tooling in for the bomb run at
46,000 feet or b) intercept a nice, fat target like it, it won't be
going anywhere until the defences are suppressed. Afterwards they
orbit Talibanistan with their humungous internal fuel capacity at 0.9
Mach all day long dropping PGMs on every mud hut until they run out of
stores and go home.

I want a 10,000 mile range on internal fuel with a minimum of 50,000
lbs internal bombload, lowest quote wins.

Gavin Bailey

--

"Will Boogie Down For Food".- Sign held by Disco Stu outside the unemployment office.
Old November 22nd 03, 02:32 PM
Peter Stickney

Will Not Be Televised) wrote:

I dunno, at least the Valiant came in on time and almost to budget.
which is impressive

Jumping in at this point, because it concentrates a number of replys.

Not just impressive, a bleeding miracle considering the money which was
wasted on projects like the brabazon.

if we ignore the fatigue situation for a minute.

Was re-sparring them ever seriously looked at ?

Yes, it was. But eamination of the spars already built for that
purose, and laid up in storage, showed that they were suffering from
the early stages of fatigue as well - brought on by jouncing them
around as they wer transorted. Damned brittle, if you ask me!
Since at that time the Mk I Vulcans and Victors were available, it was
viewed to be more cost effective to use teh Vulcans for the NATO Nuke
role, and the Victors as tankers.

They really should have made a choice between the Vulcan and the
Victor, though, and probably in favour of the latter.

I'd agree with that. I reckon if they had done so, the victor would still
be in service today.

Think of all the french aerospace workers we can featherbed.

No, this is not a collaborative effort.

Ahh we wouldn't be good europeans then mate :-).

They can work for certain
flagship programs at the political level, but one financial quagmire
at a time until the Eurofighter procurement and the A-whatever
(ex-FLA) contract is complete. This is a UK-led supplier effort.

/me shudders at the thoughts of Nimrod AEW.

USAnian smirk of superiority taken as read, thereby filling the
Gratuitous Nationalistic Insult requirement for Tranatlantic Posting.

- I doubt they'd go for embedded engines again.

Yes, with a modern high bypass turbofan, it would lead to some interesting
levels of wing root thickness.

The embedded engines actually held up turbofan development in the
U.K. The Conway's rediculously low bypass ratio (0.3 for the Victor's
flavor, 0.6 for the commercial ones used on the 707-400s) was a direct
result of having to fit it into a Victor's wing. This didn't give
much in the way of an efficiency increase. The JT3D/TF-33 for the
707-300B series and B-52s, had a 1.5 bypass ratio, and were much
better economically.

Dig those old Short Sperrin airframes out of storage now!

LOL! Thinking about it, a lifting body design like boeing was proposing for
future air lifters could take nice thrifty turbofans with humongous amounts
of internal volume for fuel, electronics and things to drop on the heads of
the other side.

No, what you need is long loiter time, reasonable altitude capability,
and low observability on European Weather Conditions (Fog & Clouds,
with a chance of no rain). Might I suggest, then a Deltoid-shaped
Zeppelin, (Such as the Areon), powered by (Wait for it) Steam
Turbines. This would fill all of Great Britains classic requirements:
A huge internal volume, low sonic observability, a ;ong loiter time,
the use of steam, and the excuse to make a lot of stuff out of Brass.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old November 22nd 03, 05:26 PM
Greg Hennessy

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 13:49:35 GMT, (The Revolution
Will Not Be Televised) wrote:

I'd agree with that. I reckon if they had done so, the victor would still
be in service today.

I dunno, the cost/role issue would raise it's head as it did
historically. John Nott would have settled their hash.

I forgot about that malign influence. I am sure the treasury would have
found a hatchet somewhere also.

What we
really need is a new type with 30-40 years of operational life at a
shatteringly low pound sterling per bomb cost, rather than trying to
reanimate an old V Force zombie which guzzles fuel using late '50's
engine technology.

True.

Ahh we wouldn't be good europeans then mate :-).

Nobody else is pushing a similar requirement, although I'm sure the
French will jump on the bandwagon to "collaborate" (**** it up)
if they thought it might actually have a danger of appearing. We can
call it RAF A.L. to annoy them.

PMPL!

/me shudders at the thoughts of Nimrod AEW.

Yeah, but that was the internal squiggly bits fit. This project is an
existing-tech come as you are party. No new mission-critical systems
to be built from scratch and which can fail the airframe and the whole
project.

As with the Aden-25, it never ever works out that way though. It would turn
into another 'how can we featherbed Bae' project.

LOL! Thinking about it, a lifting body design like boeing was proposing for
future air lifters could take nice thrifty turbofans with humongous amounts
of internal volume for fuel, electronics and things to drop on the heads of
the other side.

This is what we want. Sod the radar signature, if the opposition have
any credible ability to a) detect it tooling in for the bomb run at
46,000 feet or b) intercept a nice, fat target like it,

A lifting body design could be surprisingly stealthy I reckon. All that
volume gives plenty of space to hide 3-4 RR Trents internally.

it won't be
going anywhere until the defences are suppressed. Afterwards they
orbit Talibanistan with their humungous internal fuel capacity at 0.9
Mach all day long dropping PGMs on every mud hut until they run out of
stores and go home.

LOL!

I want a 10,000 mile range on internal fuel with a minimum of 50,000
lbs internal bombload, lowest quote wins.

Why only 50k pounds ? A lifting body could easily carry 2-3 times that
without becoming overly large. I am sure the thoughts of them orbiting at
45k feet with 500 SDBs on board would give any corps commander a wet dream.

greg

Old November 22nd 03, 05:26 PM
Greg Hennessy

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 09:32:45 -0500, (Peter Stickney)
wrote:

Yes, it was. But eamination of the spars already built for that
purose, and laid up in storage, showed that they were suffering from
the early stages of fatigue as well - brought on by jouncing them
around as they wer transorted.

Jesus!

Damned brittle, if you ask me!

As with the comet, a lot about fatigue and stresses was pretty much unknown
back then. Makes one wonder what sort of acceptance testing was undertaken
though.

Since at that time the Mk I Vulcans and Victors were available, it was
viewed to be more cost effective to use teh Vulcans for the NATO Nuke
role, and the Victors as tankers.

What was the K model Victors fuel offload like compared to probe and
droguing a commercial alternative ?

[...]

Could one assume therefore that the 'selection' of Conway powered 707s by
BOAC was yet more idiotic whitehall interference.

No, what you need is long loiter time, reasonable altitude capability,
and low observability on European Weather Conditions (Fog & Clouds,
with a chance of no rain). Might I suggest, then a Deltoid-shaped
Zeppelin, (Such as the Areon), powered by (Wait for it) Steam
Turbines. This would fill all of Great Britains classic requirements:
A huge internal volume, low sonic observability, a ;ong loiter time,
the use of steam, and the excuse to make a lot of stuff out of Brass.

ROFLMAO!!! Getting 'em to a target 5000 miles away in a timely manner could
be a problem though.

greg

Old November 22nd 03, 07:14 PM
Jukka O. Kauppinen

The reference that I was using was Len Deightons book "Fighter" which
examines the Battle of Britain. When discussing tactics he asserts that the
Bf109 pilots used the tactic of diving away as the Bf109 engine maintained
power during the dive unlike that generation of Merlin. However the 109

While being just armchair enthusiast, I wonder how much of this "wing
failure" myth is based on hollow claims - or facts. I don't know for
fact, but were 109 pilots themselves really worried of wing failure in
dives? I don't remember reading any such accounts. It could be the
greener pilots were worried, but were those who were more familiar with
the plane? And how mcuh changes there was between various subtypes? In
BoB 109 E-4 to E-7 were standard types. Was there some real problem with
them? I haven't at least heard of such. Early 109 Fs had weak tail
structure and several planes were lost, when tail ripped off. Later Fs,
Gs and Ks had no such problem. Several Finnish 109 G pilots had dived
regularly 750-900 km speeds in vertical dives when disengaging and they
haven't been worried about the plane.

I do wonder how much of this stemmed from the narrow undercarraige, which
while it allowed wing removal while the aircraft sat on its own wheels, also
forced a narrow undercarraige. Presumably if the thing toppled over the
main area of damage would be the wings. Something like 5% of Bf109s made
were reportedly lost in landing accidents. One would assume that a
contributing factor was the narrow undercarraige.

Actually,

The width of undercarriage in Me 109 E is 1,97 meters; 109 G 2,06 meters
and 109 K 2,1 meters. However - Spitifre's undercarriage width was 1,68
meters.

Nothing unusual with the undercarriage there.

The real problem was the center of gravity behind the undercarriage.
This made it possible to brake unusually hard in landings, but it also
required the pilot to keep the plane straight in takeoff and landing. If
this failed the plane could get into quickly worsening turn until the
other undercarriage failed or the plane drifted off the runway.

jok

I'm putting together an article about various aspects of the 109 with
pilot commentary. Here's some quotes about 109s diving:

- The Me 109 was dived to Mach 0.79 in instrumented tests. Slightly
modified, it was even dived to Mach 0.80, and the problems experimented
there weren't due to compressility, but due to aileron overbalancing.
Compare this to Supermarine Spitfire, which achieved dive speeds well
above those of any other WW2 fighter, getting to Mach 0.89 on one
occasion. P-51 and Fw 190 achieved about Mach 0.80. The P-47 had the
lowest permissible Mach number of these aircraft. Test pilot Eric Brown
observed it became uncontrollable at Mach 0.73, and "analysis showed
that a dive to M=0.74 would almost certainly be a 'graveyard dive'."
- Source: Radinger/Otto/Schick: "Messerschmitt Me 109", volumes 1 and 2,
Eric Brown: "Testing for Combat".

- 109 didn't "compress" but the elevators became heavy. When adjusting
trim the entire horizontal tail plane moved and reduced the force needed
to pull out.

Me 109 G:
"The maximum speed not to be exceeded was 750kmh. Once I was flying
above Helsinki as I received a report of Russkies in the South. There
was a big Cumulus cloud on my way there but I decided to fly right
through. I centered the controls and then something extraordinary
happened. I must have involuntarily entered into half-roll and dive. The
planes had individual handling characteristics; even though I held the
turning indicator in the middle, the plane kept going faster and faster,
I pulled the stick, yet the plane went into an ever steeper dive.
In the same time she started rotating, and I came out of the cloud with
less than one kilometer of altitude. I started pulling the stick,
nothing happened, I checked the speed, it was about 850kmh. I tried to
recover the plane but the stick was as if locked and nothing happened. I
broke into a sweat of agony: now I am going into the sea and cannot help
it. I pulled with both hands, groaning and by and by she started
recovering, she recovered more, I pulled and pulled, but the surface of
the sea approached, I thought I was going to crash. I kept pulling until
I saw that I had survived. The distance between me and the sea may have
been five meters. I pulled up and found myself on the coast of Estonia.
If I in that situation had used the vertical trim the wings would have
been broken off. A minimal trim movement has a strong effect on wings
when the speed limit has been exceded. I had 100kmh overspeed! It was
out of all limits.
The Messerschmitt's wings were fastened with two bolts. When I saw the
construction I had thought that they are strong enough but in this case
I was thinking, when are they going to break
- What about the phenomenon called "buffeting" or vibration, was there any?
No, I did not encounter it even in the 850kmh speed."
- Kyösti Karhila, Finnish fighter ace. 32 victories. Source: Interview
by Finnish Virtual Pilots Association.

Me 109 G:
"- The vertical dive was how to disengage.
Jussi Huotari: That was the remedy.
Antti Tani: That is how I survived when attacking two of them and losing
the first round. They had more speed because I was coming from a lower
altitude.
It was nothing special, the (Yak-9) planes were climbing and began to
turn back. I had planned to get to shoot at them as they have lost their
speed in the turn. But I was not in the right position. I turned at them
and pulled the nose up - and I lost my speed, I had to turn below them.
I had to push the stick to get behind them, and as they dived at me I
dived right down. I turned with ailerons a couple of times, and had full
power on.
Then I started recovery from the dive, of course in the direction of
home, then checked the dials, the reading was eight hundred plus kmh.
Then I started pulling the stick, pulled harder as hard as ever: never
in my life did I pull so hard. I pulled with right hand and tried to
trim the horizontal rudder with my left hand. But it did not budge, as
if it had been set in concrete. But by the by the nose began to rise,
but terribly slowly. As my angle was about 45 I heard over the radio as
Onni Paronen said, "hey lads, look, a Messerschmitt is going in the
sea!" I wanted to answer back but I could not afford to do anything put
pull with two hands. As soon as I had returned to level flight and had
been able to breath normally for a while, I in a way regained
consciousness. I pushed the transmitter key and said "not quite". It was
a close shave.
- It was so hard that you almost blacked out?
Antti Tani: I felt I was on the edge, pulling as hard as I ever could."
- Antti Tani, Finnish fighter ace. 21,5 victories. Source: Interview by
Finnish Virtual Pilots Association.
- Jouko "Jussi" Huotari, Finnish fighter ace. 17 victories. Source:
Interview by Finnish Virtual Pilots Association.

Me 109 G-6:
After landing Me 109 with damaged rudder trim tab, which shook the
rudder heavily in flight:
"Antti Tani: It had to be strong, both the rudder and the pedals, they
withstood the damn shaking without any further damage.
Jussi Huotari: The Messerschmitt was a very tough aircraft. You could do
vertical dives and the tailplane hang along..."
Antti Tani: But Mäittälä, what happened to him, he lost the tailplane?
Mäittälä dived like that, and being a strong man he was able to pull
harder than I did. And so the tailplane was ripped off
- The day before a similar dive and recovery had happened to the same
plane. Two steep dives in succession and a strong pilot pulling the
stick each time, so...
Antti Tani: It certainly was a risky job. It must be that I remember him
because I did a dive like that and remembered his tailplane had been
ripped off. I, too pulled as hard as I could, because I thought that I
am going to die if I don't."
- Antti Tani, Finnish fighter ace. 21,5 victories. Source: Interview by
Finnish Virtual Pilots Association.
- Jouko "Jussi" Huotari, Finnish fighter ace. 17 victories. Source:
Interview by Finnish Virtual Pilots Association.

Me 109 G-6:
"The story of Valte Estama's 109 G-6 getting shot down by a Yak-6 was
also an interesting one. Their flight of nine planes was doing
high-altitude CAP at 7,000 meters (23,000').
(snip) So it happened that the devil fired at him. One cannon round hit
his engine, spilling out oil that caught fire. Estama noticed that it
wasn't fuel that leaked or burned, just oil.
He pushed the nose of the plane and throttled up. His feet felt hot, but
the fire was extinguished and there was no more smoke. The speedometer
went over the top as the speed exceeded 950 km/h. The wings began to
shake and Estama feared the fighter would come apart. He pulled the
throttle back, but the stick was stiff and couldn't pull the plane out
of the dive. Letting the flaps out little by little gradually lifted the
nose. The plane leveled at 1,000 meters (3,300').
Clarification of the escape dive: "It didn't stay (vertical) otherwise,
it had to be kept with the stabilizer. I trimmed it so the plane was
certainly nose down. Once I felt it didn't burn anymore and there was no
black smoke in the mirror, then I began to straighten it up, and it
wouldn't obey. The stick was so stiff it was useless. So a nudge at a
time, (then straightening off with trims).
Then the wings came alive with the flutter effect, I was afraid it's
coming apart and shut the throttle. Only then I began to level out. To a
thousand meters. It was a long time - and the hard pull blacked me out."
- Edvald Estama, Finnish fighter pilot. Source: Recollections by Eino
and Edvald Estama by Finnish Virtual Pilots Association.

Me 109 G:
"-Many claim that the MT becomes stiff as hell in a dive, difficult to
bring up in high speed, the controls lock up?
Nnnooo, they don't lock up.
It was usually because you exceeded diving speed limits. Guys didn't
remember you shouldn't let it go over.
We had also Lauri Mäittälä, he took (unclear tape), he had to evade and
exceeded the speed, and the rudders broke off. He fell in a well in the
Isthmus. He was later collected from there, he's now there in Askola
cemetery.
The controls don't lock up, they become stiffer of course but don't
lock. And of course you couldn't straighten up (shows a 'straightening'
from a dive directly up) like an arrow."
- Väinö Pokela, Finnish fighter ace and Me 109 trainer. 5 victories.
Source: Interview of Väinö Pokela by Finnish Virtual Pilots Association.

Me 109 G:
"- How fast could you go with it? How fast did you dare to fly in a
dive, what was the limit?
It was ... 720 (kilometers/hour), if I remember right. You weren't
supposed to exceed it but we did it many times. And as the air was thin
up there, so we often had to go vertical when escorting a photographing
plane."
- Väinö Pokela, Finnish fighter ace and Me 109 trainer. 5 victories.
Source: Interview of Väinö Pokela by Finnish Virtual Pilots Association.

"- Are the stories true, that the 109 had weak wings and would loose
them easily?
He has never heard of a 109 loosing its wings from his experience or
others. The wings could withstand 12 g's and since most pilots could
only handle at most 9 g's there was never a problem. He was never
worried about loosing a wing in any form of combat."
- Franz Stigler, German fighter ace. 28 victories. Interview of Franz
Stigler.

Me 109 F/G:
"- What's the fastest you ever had a 109 in a dive?
I've taken it to about 680 to 750 km/hr at which point you needed 2
hands to pulls it out of the dive."
- Franz Stigler, German fighter ace. 28 victories. Interview of Franz
Stigler.

"During a dive at 400 mph all three controls were in turn displaced
slightly and released. No vibration, flutter or snaking developed. If
the elevator is trimmed for level flight at full throttle, a large push
is needed to hold in the dive, and there is a temptation to trim in. If,
in fact, the airplane is trimmed into the dive, recovery is difficult
unless the trimmer is would back owing to the excessive heaviness of the
elevator."
- RAF Royal Aircraft Establishment (RAE) Farnborough handling
trials,Bf.109E Wn: 1304. M.B. Morgan and R. Smelt of the RAE, 1944.

"My flight chased 12 109s south of Vienna. They climbed and we followed,
unable to close on them. At 38,000 feet I fired a long burst at one of
them from at least a 1000 yards, and saw some strikes. It rolled over
and dived and I followed but soon reached compressibility with severe
buffeting of the tail and loss of elevator control. I slowed my plane
and regained control, but the 109 got away.
On two other occasions ME 109s got away from me because the P 51d could
not stay with them in a high-speed dive. At 525-550 mph the plane would
start to porpoise uncontrollably and had to be slowed to regain control.
The P 51 was redlined at 505 mph, meaning that this speed should not be
exceeded. But when chasing 109s or 190s in a dive from 25-26,000 it
often was exceeded, if you wanted to keep up with those enemy planes.
The P 51b, and c, could stay with those planes in a dive. The P 51d had
a thicker wing and a bubble canopy which changed the airflow and brought
on compressibility at lower speeds."
- Robert C.Curtis, American P-51 pilot.

Old November 22nd 03, 09:01 PM

Back in 1961, there was a fierce battle between the RAF and RN for the
deterrent system for the 70s. At that time we were buying Skybolt for
the Vulcans, and it was reckoned they'd be time expired by 1970.

The Navy's proposal was for Polaris. The RAF proposal was to fit up to
6 Skybolts on VC10s and maintain some form of standing patrol. The
British Nuclear Study Group's [BNDSG, affectionately known to the Navy
as the 'Benders'] Technical SubCommittee under Solly Zuckerman
preferred Polaris. The Treasury preferred the Skybolt option.

All of which became null & void with the cancellation of Skybolt.

Nicholas Hill