Key West

Old January 21st 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bsalai

Default Key West

I'm going to Key West for a few days next month, and am going to try to
fly a little.

Any ideas on things to see?

Brad
Old January 21st 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Look out for the tethered radar balloon on the 14,000 line.

Old January 21st 07, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Markus

"bsalai" wrote in message
| I'm going to Key West for a few days next month, and am
going to try to
| fly a little.
|
| Any ideas on things to see?
|
| Brad

I'll be flying from West Palm Beach to Key West on Feb. 10...
The flight down the Keys is spectacular to anyone not used to it, or
anyone who has spent too much time in traffic on the I-95.

Old January 21st 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_3_]

Going to lurk this one!

I wil be there as well, on the ground except for a ride (hopefully) in
the L-39 jets they have there...

Anybody been for a ride with them?

Dave

Old January 21st 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns

I'm about 6 hours away from making reservations for the end of March. We
plan on spending about a week down there. Where's everybody staying?
Jim

Old January 21st 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"bsalai" wrote in message
I'm going to Key West for a few days next month, and am going to try to
fly a little.

Any ideas on things to see?

Brad

I've done the trip a few times, it's a blast! Coming from west palm
(or the east coast in general), some pilots take the shortcut across
the swamps and over the water. I never thought that was a very good
idea.

I recommend going VFR and following the coastline to US 1. First of
all, it is a much more scenic route, which is half the fun of going
there. Second, there are some airports along the way, such as Ocean
Reef (private), MTH, etc. You might not be able to land on US 1
because of powerlines and traffic, but at least you are near help if
you ditch. Can't say the same for the swamps and the Gulf. FLL and
MIA ATC are very accomodating and will treat you well. Just don't be a
radio dork, it is busy down there until you get to Homestead. FLL will
keep you about 500 ft agl and 1 sm offshore. Nice view of the beach
from there!

Once you get to Key West (don't mistake it for the naval facility, duh)
find a place to park (try calling ahead to make sure there's room on
the ramp, it gets busy until summer). If you want to go downtown,
which of course you do, take the bus from the airport (but take a cab
back, NOT the bus! - trust me on this!).

Places to see... Well everything on Duval street (Sloppy Joes, etc.)
is fun. Once you're sick of bars or before you even start that whole
crazy scene, I highly recommend visiting the Mel Fisher treasure
museum:
http://www.melfisher.org/

You will be blown away by the treasure there, and you can even touch
and pick up a real gold bar. Very cool place.

Oh yeah, stay away from that blimp when you're flying down there. Have
fun and if you have any questions please feel free to ask. I'm
jealous, I'm staring out my window at another 6" of snow coming down in
Denver.

Sam

Old January 21st 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_3_]

Not sure yet Jim..

Have a room in Fla City for night of the 7th, have a week to wander
and play tourist until due back in Miami on the 14th..

Dave

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 12:45:11 -0600, "Jim Burns"
wrote:

I'm about 6 hours away from making reservations for the end of March. We
plan on spending about a week down there. Where's everybody staying?
Jim

.. .

Old January 22nd 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns

We're still looking. Hardly anything available for under $200 per night.
Wife saw a 2 bedroom suite ( 4 of us going) at a resort for $1125. She
thought it was for 5 days. Turned out being PER NIGHT! gulp!
Jim

wrote:

I'm about 6 hours away from making reservations for the end of March. We
plan on spending about a week down there. Where's everybody staying?
Jim

. ..

Old January 22nd 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_3_]

Ya! We found that out as well. ...

Looks like I gotta keep my day job for a while..

Nuthin cheap down there!

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 19:36:57 -0600, "Jim Burns"
wrote:

We're still looking. Hardly anything available for under $200 per night.
Wife saw a 2 bedroom suite ( 4 of us going) at a resort for $1125. She
thought it was for 5 days. Turned out being PER NIGHT! gulp!
Jim

.. .

wrote:

I'm about 6 hours away from making reservations for the end of March. We
plan on spending about a week down there. Where's everybody staying?
Jim

.. .

Old January 22nd 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bsalai

We found a place called Lighthouse Court across the street from the
Hemingway house. The prices generally are pretty spectacular. Makes
flying look like a reasonably inexpensive hobby.

Brad