Electronic TE compensation, will this work?

Old February 14th 20, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Electronic TE compensation, will this work?

Are you anywhere near Moriarty?Â* Either Fidel or Robert Mudd could that
work.

On 2/13/2020 8:09 AM, soaringjac wrote:
On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 2:59:36 AM UTC-8, krasw wrote:
Just pull the adapter (with tube attached) out of the fin leading edge and install new one:

https://www.esa-systems.com/en/produ...ter-st1r-6-mm/

Should be possible with little effort, the adapter is just glued to place.

Thanks Krasw
Just got the drawings from Grob (linder). It does look like there is a barbed fitting at the end of the TE socket, and it seem like that is what has broken off based on the photo i took. Seems like having that whole tube replaced by an A&P isn't going to too bad of a process, but who knows, could turn out to be a pain. Really don't want them to have to cut any holes in the skin or have to do any major composite work. Will chat with the A&P and composite shop about this.

--
Dan, 5J
Old February 14th 20, 07:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 5:05:07 PM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

In LA, so pretty far. I have already spoken to Robert about it.
Old February 14th 20, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 1:33:44 AM UTC-5, soaringjac wrote:
I am working through and investigating a leaking TE line in my ship. Leak tested the TE line and it seem to be wide open. Still have some more testing to do but as of now my feeling is the leak is in the fin and completely inaccessible. I think its leaking at the back of the TE port in the fin.

I have an LXNav S100 installed and I am curious if the electronic TE compensation on it might help or work for me. If the leak is at the back of the TE port in the fin then it is basically acting as a static port pulling pressure from the inside of the fin. I read that for electronic TE to work right the static and pitot should be co-located (multiprobe). If the TE line is indeed leaking at the back of the TE port, which is right below the pitot port, then this would be pretty close to a multiprobe setup since the sources are so close and both on the fin.

So, any idea if this will work for me to get at least a somewhat compensated vario?

The plumbing in the ship now for TE line is:
TE line from fin and split under seat pan. One line going to the S100 and the other to a Winter mechanical vario (with flask)

All you need to do to try electronic TE is identify the static used for your airspeed indicator. If properly plumbed it will be to the source identified by the manufacturer as the best source they have. The flight manual likely has the error chart for this source.
Connect this static source to your vario, reconfigure as needed , and go fly. If you are satisfied, you are good to go on that vario.
Repairing the TE system is another issue and would be needed to get the mechanical vario working right.
I would bet that your issue is likely either a missing or damaged o-ring if you are using a multi probe, or something funky further forward. I would isolate it at the tee under the seat and check back. Note that you can not do any valid leak checking with bad seal in the socket.
For leak checking I use a small pressure gage reading in inches of water. 5 inches is equal to about 100 mph. You can also rig a water manometer made of instrument tubing to do the same thing.
Good luck
UH
Old February 14th 20, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

[...]

Take the rudder off; there may be an access hole in the spar.
JMF