New Oudie 2 Condor 2 cable connection

Old February 12th 20, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Hill[_3_]

Default New Oudie 2 Condor 2 cable connection

On 12/02/2020 02:57, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Nick,

The challenge with the Oudie and similar devices is that they are using a mini-USB port to do double-duty. It connects to a PC as a USB slave, and it has TTL Serial connections for communicating with soaring variometers and Condor on a PC. The cable has 5 wires. They are very well defined for USB communications, but since TTL serial data communications are non-standard, the connections are not set in stone. Old and new Oudie 2 units and Oudie IGC units will all connect to a PC using a standard USB to mini-USB cable for flight log downloads, waypoint uploads, updates, etc. But for TTL serial data, something changed in the hardware due to lack of standardization. It isn't Naviter's fault, they buy the Oudie hardware. The change is a bummer, but well defined.

OK Thanks. Sounds non standard. I had assumed that the Oudie power and
data cable was just a 12-5V converter plus something like an FTDI USB to
TTL serial converter chip on a single PCB under the shrink wrap. In
which case as long as the USB portion was working the cables would
always be the same.

cheers,

--

Nick Hill
Old February 12th 20, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

As a field service guy, many "standards" are not standard unless carved in stone.
Example, company I worked for, certain things (usually power) were consistent. So power was good, data was "wishy washy".
Certain FTDI adaptors worked, others didn't. We used a lot of boards from Rabbit that did what we needed, others didn't work.....
Sorta same spec, but different....
"It's the exact same thing, only different....".
Sigh.

Oudie and Condor GeneReinecke Soaring 5 June 10th 15 05:55 PM
Oudie to C302 cable [email protected] Soaring 8 August 21st 13 09:18 PM
Oudie Cable Peter von Tresckow Soaring 7 June 15th 12 04:59 PM
Oudie for sale, Goddard PS5a-1 cable for sale Sean Fidler Soaring 3 April 3rd 12 02:51 PM
Connection cable for an IFR GPS Doug Owning 8 November 29th 04 01:56 AM