GPS and old-fashioned thinking?

Old December 5th 05, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default GPS and old-fashioned thinking?

G,

The Europeans are ready to use every available argument (the threat of the US
unilaterally invoking Selective Availability being their favorite) to
denigrate GPS, so as to pave the way for their competing system, Galileo.
They see a huge market potential in a pay-per-use system, designed to
generate windfall profits for the usual group of sweetheart companies, but
they are threatened by the free availability of GPS. They have to denigrate
it to get funding for their system, then find regulatory means to make GPS
receivers illegal.

Exactly. Sadly.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 5th 05, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Thomas Borchert wrote On 12/05/05 04:45,:
G,

The Europeans are ready to use every available argument (the threat of the US
unilaterally invoking Selective Availability being their favorite) to
denigrate GPS, so as to pave the way for their competing system, Galileo.
They see a huge market potential in a pay-per-use system, designed to
generate windfall profits for the usual group of sweetheart companies, but
they are threatened by the free availability of GPS. They have to denigrate
it to get funding for their system, then find regulatory means to make GPS
receivers illegal.

Exactly. Sadly.

I'm sure the next step is to get the USA to fund it :-)

Old December 5th 05, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

G Farris wrote:

The Europeans are ready to use every available argument (the threat of the US
unilaterally invoking Selective Availability being their favorite) to
denigrate GPS, so as to pave the way for their competing system, Galileo.

I can't blame them. If I lived outside the US, I would be pretty wary
about depending on a navigation system which I had no control over. It's
the same battle that happening now with control of the Internet.
Old December 5th 05, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Roy Smith wrote On 12/05/05 07:01,:
G Farris wrote:

The Europeans are ready to use every available argument (the threat of the US
unilaterally invoking Selective Availability being their favorite) to
denigrate GPS, so as to pave the way for their competing system, Galileo.

I can't blame them. If I lived outside the US, I would be pretty wary
about depending on a navigation system which I had no control over. It's
the same battle that happening now with control of the Internet.

The "battle for control of the Internet" is far more about China wanting to
censor it than any freedom issue.

Old December 5th 05, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Roy Smith wrote:

G Farris wrote:

The Europeans are ready to use every available argument (the threat of the US
unilaterally invoking Selective Availability being their favorite) to
denigrate GPS, so as to pave the way for their competing system, Galileo.

I can't blame them. If I lived outside the US, I would be pretty wary
about depending on a navigation system which I had no control over. It's
the same battle that happening now with control of the Internet.

Yes, we definitely need to find a way to charge users who aren't
taxpaying US citizens!

Matt
Old December 5th 05, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Thomas Borchert wrote:
The FAA, and the rest of the world as well, want to eventually shut-down
the VORs. The only remaining ground-based systems will be ILSes.

Uhm, not quite. The JAA is all hot about DME-DME area navigation. They
thing GPS is not reliable enough. Go figure...

The JAA agenda is politically-driven. They simply don't want to use
those Dammn Yankee's GPS system. Also, in most of the JAA airspace,
there is a DME-rich environment, which is great for en route. But, the
model often collaspes on approach as the DMEs drop out and the remaining
two, or so, provide unacceptable geometry. If it is an RNP platform,
the alerts will become sufficiently dire to force a missed approach.

I am involved in the recent RNAV RNP programs. The JAA just quietly
looks the other way when some of its member states begin their journey
into performance-based RNAV (RNP) procedures that require GPS and IRUs
blended with advanced FMS platforms. DME/DME is simply not in that picure.

Go figure.
Old December 6th 05, 08:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

DME/DME is simply not in that picure.

You give me hope! I hate this JAA politics BS...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 5th 05, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Thomas Borchert wrote:
The FAA, and the rest of the world as well, want to eventually shut-down
the VORs. The only remaining ground-based systems will be ILSes.

Uhm, not quite. The JAA is all hot about DME-DME area navigation. They
thing GPS is not reliable enough. Go figure...

Thia the pertinent note on the LOWI RNAV (RNP) IAP:

1. GPS and IRS required (DME/DME, LLZ and VOR/DME updating not authorized).
Old December 2nd 05, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"G Farris" wrote in message
With all these questions about how to integrate GPS into our everyday
operations, I'm tempted to believe we have allowed the advent of this
wonderful new technology to send our thinking back to the dark ages!

I think the only problem with GPS is the human interface. We need either a
full keyboard input by keyboard or touch screen or they have to transition
them to voice activated, such as, Being able to just speak: "GPS - Direct
to - Kilo - Romeo - Victor - Bravo - Approach - ILS - One - Three" Then
there will be little to no heads down. For now I'd take the keyboard.

Kobra