BRAC and Fort Rucker

Old June 16th 04, 09:13 PM
BamaJohn

Default BRAC and Fort Rucker

Anyone have any information on how they feel Fort Rucker will fare in
the next round of Base Realignment and Closure. What are its strenths
and what are in weaknesses, and what are its major threats? Any
information is appreciated.

Old June 16th 04, 10:18 PM
Fuzzy Footie

BamaJohn wrote:

Anyone have any information on how they feel Fort Rucker will fare in
the next round of Base Realignment and Closure. What are its strenths
and what are in weaknesses, and what are its major threats? Any
information is appreciated.

Fort Rucker will probably survive this round due to politics. (Yes, I
know the BRAC is supposed to be non-political.)

If the location of the Army Flight Training Center were to be made on a
strictly military needs basis, the Aviation Center would be moved to
Fort Irwin. Between the NTC and Edwards AFB, there are about 950,000
acres of desert and mountains for maneuver.

--
Fuzz
Old June 17th 04, 12:58 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Fuzzy Footie" wrote in message
BamaJohn wrote:

Anyone have any information on how they feel Fort Rucker will fare in
the next round of Base Realignment and Closure. What are its strenths
and what are in weaknesses, and what are its major threats? Any
information is appreciated.

Fort Rucker will probably survive this round due to politics. (Yes, I
know the BRAC is supposed to be non-political.)

If the location of the Army Flight Training Center were to be made on a
strictly military needs basis, the Aviation Center would be moved to
Fort Irwin. Between the NTC and Edwards AFB, there are about 950,000
acres of desert and mountains for maneuver.

Is putting new trainee pilots into a high/hot situation from the outset
really advisable? Not to mention the folks running the NTC would probably
just as soon not have to worry about all of those TH-67's whirling around
while they are trying to do serious work like running a BLUEFOR BCT through
the wringer...

Brooks

--
Fuzz

Old June 17th 04, 01:16 AM
Fuzzy Footie

BamaJohn wrote:

[...]

Hey! Evolution in action. While Fort Irwin is probably not the best
climate or altitude to learn, for the foreseeable future that's the
climate they will be flying in. There is enough acreage that they could
keep to propeller heads away from the maneuver forces.

Of course, Forts Campbell, Bragg or Benning have much more 'back' post
area for flight training without flying trainees over civilian
neighborhoods.

--
Fuzz

Old June 17th 04, 02:27 AM
John Hart

BamaJohn wrote:

[...]

I see you've never been trained as a pilot. Hell, Texas ain't big enough to
train pilots in! Been there and done that, got the T-shirt, and wore it out
completely!

Old June 17th 04, 05:47 AM
Fuzzy Footie

BamaJohn wrote:

[...]

Glad to hear it, but what's that got to do with the small on post flight
area for first phase trainees at Fort Rucker? The post has worked for
years in trying to gain more restricted air space for training.

--
Fuzz
Old June 17th 04, 01:03 PM
John Carrier

"BamaJohn" wrote in message
om...
Anyone have any information on how they feel Fort Rucker will fare in
the next round of Base Realignment and Closure. What are its strenths
and what are in weaknesses, and what are its major threats? Any
information is appreciated.

My bet would be on relocating Navy Helo training to Rucker. Consolidate the
primary Helo training and reflect the "joint" world. In the past, the Navy
has had a number of arguments against such a concept, but the wind ain't
blowin' in that direction no mo'.

R / John

Old June 17th 04, 04:59 PM
Lone Haranguer

©Old Sarge®° wrote:

While assigned to HQ Sixth Army at the Presidio of San Francisco, I was
responsible for the reassignment of our officers and I had to request their
orders. Well we had one officer that was being reassigned to the U.S. Army
Aviation Center and School, Ft Rucker, AL and I requested his orders.
Later that day the officer came in and called my attention to his orders
which read "Ft ****er, AL". Oh ****. I ran back to the orders section and
told them the orders needed to be amended immediately and distribution
halted on the old copies. Well, distribution had already been made, and an
amendment was out of the question. Why? Because an amendment would have
directly called attention to the mistake. Instead they revoked the orders
and re-cut them. I think that was the best laugh we had there in my three
years there. A damn good assignment too.

They called it "Camp ****ed Up" when I was there in '54-'55. Hq Co was
the most ****ed up of all.
LZ

Old June 17th 04, 10:19 PM
Lone Haranguer

©Old Sarge®° wrote:

"Lone Haranguer" wrote in message

They called it "Camp ****ed Up" when I was there in '54-'55. Hq Co was
the most ****ed up of all.
LZ

Damn Linus, while you were there I was learning how to drive. First car I
ever drove was a new 55 Chevy, stick. Bad experience, but I got better and
in 1957 I got my first car - a 46 Ford Club Coupe. You ARE an old fart.

I was a member of the virgins club that opened the weather station there
when Army Aviation was hatched. They had a few clunker fixed wing and
ancient choppers they brought from Ft. Sill. The control tower was a
barrel on a telephone post. No furnace or heat in the barracks, so no
hot water. Coal burning stoves in the weather station and operations
and even the mess hall. Towns around there were stuck in the 1920s.

Got married there, turned 21 and made SSgt before volunteering to open
up another weather station at Hurlburt Field in May of '55. I'd only
been in the weather service a year and I was sent off to open a station
all by myself with 60 days to get it up and running. They sent me a 2nd
Lt. and 2 warm bodies a few days before we opened for business.
LZ