Electric Trim

Old October 1st 05, 08:38 PM
Jon Woellhaf

Default Electric Trim

The recent comments about the difficulty of setting electric pitch trim in a
Cirrus made me wonder if any electric trim systems use a design where the
trim speed is proportional to switch deflection. Are they all single speed?

Jon

Old October 2nd 05, 12:46 AM
john smith

In article ,
"Jon Woellhaf" wrote:

The recent comments about the difficulty of setting electric pitch trim in a
Cirrus made me wonder if any electric trim systems use a design where the
trim speed is proportional to switch deflection. Are they all single speed?

Trim motors generally run at the same speed as flap motors.
Old October 4th 05, 02:30 PM
Ron Natalie

Jon Woellhaf wrote:
The recent comments about the difficulty of setting electric pitch trim in a
Cirrus made me wonder if any electric trim systems use a design where the
trim speed is proportional to switch deflection. Are they all single speed?

As we were taught in elementary control theory: Never use proportional
control unless bang-bang doesn't work. Can't vouch for the Cirrus,
but I've never had any problem with single speed electric trim (either
in an Arrow or my Navion).

Old October 4th 05, 02:31 PM
Ron Natalie

john smith wrote:
In article ,
"Jon Woellhaf" wrote:

The recent comments about the difficulty of setting electric pitch trim in a
Cirrus made me wonder if any electric trim systems use a design where the
trim speed is proportional to switch deflection. Are they all single speed?

Trim motors generally run at the same speed as flap motors.

Usually slower actually. Flaps move further and go stop to stop
faster in most planes I've flown.