Immediate Action Items Checklist

Old June 17th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

Default Immediate Action Items Checklist

Do YOU have one? Do you rehearse it or practice it while the pressure
is off? If not, why not? What do you use for immediate action and why?
Old June 18th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
K l e i n[_2_]

On Jun 17, 4:46 pm, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
Do YOU have one? Do you rehearse it or practice it while the pressure
is off? If not, why not? What do you use for immediate action and why?

What I've been working on is a checklist for my wife to use to save
her life (and maybe mine) in the event of a sudden incapacitation of
the PIC (me). It's a turbine twin so it's no small task for someone
unfamiliar to get it on the ground safely. She has a ppsel but hasn't
flown solo in almost thirty years. At least she knows what a good
approach and landing looks like. In this case, a good landing would
not require reuse of the airplane.

K l e i n
Old June 18th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_2_]

"K l e i n" wrote in message
On Jun 17, 4:46 pm, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
Do YOU have one? Do you rehearse it or practice it while the pressure
is off? If not, why not? What do you use for immediate action and why?

What I've been working on is a checklist for my wife to use to save
her life (and maybe mine) in the event of a sudden incapacitation of
the PIC (me). It's a turbine twin so it's no small task for someone
unfamiliar to get it on the ground safely. She has a ppsel but hasn't
flown solo in almost thirty years. At least she knows what a good
approach and landing looks like. In this case, a good landing would
not require reuse of the airplane.

K l e i n

Have you considered the AOPA Pinch Hitters Course?
see: http://www.avweb.com/news/safety/183023-1.html

--
Regards, BobF.

Old June 18th 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Bob F. wrote:

"K l e i n" wrote in message
On Jun 17, 4:46 pm, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
Do YOU have one? Do you rehearse it or practice it while the pressure
is off? If not, why not? What do you use for immediate action and why?

What I've been working on is a checklist for my wife to use to save
her life (and maybe mine) in the event of a sudden incapacitation of
the PIC (me). It's a turbine twin so it's no small task for someone
unfamiliar to get it on the ground safely. She has a ppsel but hasn't
flown solo in almost thirty years. At least she knows what a good
approach and landing looks like. In this case, a good landing would
not require reuse of the airplane.

K l e i n

Have you considered the AOPA Pinch Hitters Course?
see: http://www.avweb.com/news/safety/183023-1.html

My wife took this years ago. She also soloed, but never went on to get
her license. She did say there is nothing like flying alone to have the
confidence. She thought the AOPA course would not satisfy that.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old June 18th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Of course not. The checklist for a goose coming through the windshield is
completely different than smoke in the cockpit is completely different from
the engine burping and stopping is completely different from ... (insert
multiple scenarios here).

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

Old June 18th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"RST Engineering" wrote in message m...
Of course not. The checklist for a goose coming through the windshield is
completely different than smoke in the cockpit is completely different from
the engine burping and stopping is completely different from ... (insert
multiple scenarios here).

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."
--Aristotle

It is not a goose, it is a DUCK...
Old June 18th 08, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

If it is a duck, trust me, you are goosed.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."
--Aristotle

"Blueskies" wrote in message

It is not a goose, it is a DUCK...

Old June 18th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Jun 17, 7:21*pm, "RST Engineering" wrote:
Of course not. *The checklist for a goose coming through the windshield is
completely different than smoke in the cockpit is completely different from
the engine burping and stopping is completely different from ... (insert
multiple scenarios here).

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."
* * * * --Aristotle

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in ...

Do YOU have one? Do you rehearse it or practice it while the pressure
is off? If not, why not? What do you use for immediate action and why?- Hide quoted text -

OF COURSE NOT? Do you just wait to see what happens before you make
any kind of plan? Jim I'm not trying to start an argument and of
course every emergency is likely to be different. What I AM trying to
do is make people think ahead of emergencies. This most recent
accident where the pilot dead sticked a Bonanza onto a 2000' grass
strip and wrecked the airplane prompted the post.
He was headed for my base of operations which is about 10 miles away
when he said his engine quit. There is a lot of swampy area but there
is also I-65 which borders the strip he chose for landing. I suspect
the pressure got to him and he picked the best of his personal
options. Don't know the man or his capabilities so its dumb to say
what he "coulda woulda shoulda done".
BTW, in over 50 years I've had more than 15 actual emergencies and any
number of minor ones like birds coming thru the windshield.
Cheers
Ol S&B
Old June 18th 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Well, I've got just over 40 years and about 5000 hours and only two
emergencies that I considered entertaining, so I've got a bit of a way to
catch you ... but ...

Both emergencies were engine failures, one a double ignition failure and one
a jug that decided it liked it better alone than with its 5 buddies. Those
you can plan for. The first one was at 200 AGL, but since our airport is at
800 AGL from the surrounding neighborhood, the freeway was the optimum
answer, and one that we had planned for from day one. The other one was
from 5000 AGL over the COntinental Divide (now I know why Continental
Engines named it that) with a dragstrip right below me. Both can be planned
for, and if "what the hell do I do when the fan stops" isn't in your head
during those times, then your instructor hasn't been nasty enough with you.

I've had birds on the wings and birds on the glass, but never a bird big
enough to go THROUGH the glass. I've had electrical smoke in the cockpit,
asymmetric flap failure that taught me snap rolls right NOW, and some minor
crap from student blunders that caught me unawares. Nothing that could be
planned for; just take it as it is and do what you need to do to remedy the
situation.

OF COURSE for the common ones and OF COURSE NOT for the ones that are just
plain off the wall.

Jim

Old June 18th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:46:47 -0700 (PDT), "Ol Shy & Bashful"
wrote in
:

Do YOU have one? Do you rehearse it or practice it while the pressure
is off? If not, why not? What do you use for immediate action and why?

This is the first I've heard of that term. Are you referring to
emergency procedures contained in the aircraft's POH?

Checklist Larry D. Cosby Piloting 148 March 29th 08 04:10 AM
Checklist use Private Piloting 2 February 12th 08 08:25 PM
747-100 Checklist Bartscher General Aviation 0 December 18th 04 07:20 PM
Jepp checklist: How did you do? Peter R. Instrument Flight Rules 9 November 10th 04 01:34 PM
C-180 100 hr checklist ConchyJoe Owning 1 May 3rd 04 11:53 PM