Canadians importing from Aircraft Spruce?

Old June 2nd 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Canadians importing from Aircraft Spruce?

I posted earlier regarding a Canadian alternate for 4130 steeel tubing
but now require assistance when importing other aircraft supplies into
Canada from Aircraft Spruce.

When parcel arrives here in Canada, shipping, GST, duty and brokerage
fees are incredibly high... Are there any secrets or hints I might use
when having this stuff shipped north... For those who do a lot of
importing, how is it best accomplished? Can a small aviation
enthusiast like myself save a little in any way?

thanks so much in advance
TJ...

Old June 2nd 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"TJ400" wrote in message
oups.com...
I posted earlier regarding a Canadian alternate for 4130 steeel tubing
but now require assistance when importing other aircraft supplies into
Canada from Aircraft Spruce.

When parcel arrives here in Canada, shipping, GST, duty and brokerage
fees are incredibly high...

Wait a minute. I thought NAFTA was supposed to eliminate tariffs for both
northbound and southbound goods crossing the 49th parallel? Wasn't that one
of the points NAFTA supporters were bragging about?

Old June 2nd 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

No matter where you purchase your materials, you will pay GST and PST,
so what you are really up set with is the brokerage...

From what I understand if you send something UPS ground you will get
dinged with a large brokerage fee. If you step up to the next level of
UPS shipment to Canada, the Brokerage fee is included in the shipping
price or it isn't as bad as ground.

If you ship FedExpres ground you my be SOL when it hits the border as
you will have use your Broker as FedExpress will not use theirs. If you
step up a level, the shipping cost goes up, but they will clear it and
the brokerage fee is $7.00.

If it a small shipment, you can have them send it via the US Postal
Service. It won't be traceable but you will only get dinged $7.00 for
the brokerage.

hth

Rob from Ontario

Old June 2nd 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

NAFTA is a joke, and the brokerage outfits are worse. If for example you
ship by UPS, you pay big time for them to fill out the form and to put a
zero in the duty column. You still have to pay GST (federal tax) on
anything coming in, and here in BC, you pay PST (provincial) as well.

You can't get around paying GST. But if you are a business (and have a
business number) you can just pay the GST and not the PST if its business
related. If you can, the way to do it is to have your items shipped to a
place just on the US side of the border, and drive down and get clear them
through customs yourself, and pay the duty (usually very little) and GST at
the counter. Depending on where you cross the customs guys vary from very
helpful to mildly hostile when it comes to help filling out forms. If its
personal, they'll do it for you. Make sure you know (and can prove) where
the item was made. If its commercial, forget it, they won't help you. If
its just for the occasioal package, or you live too far from the border, you
just have to grit your teeth and pay the customs brokers.

One thing though- you don't HAVE to hire a customs broker, but for all the
aggravation it saves for the occasional shipment, its worth it.

oups.com...

Old June 2nd 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 20:56:06 GMT, "Benbo" wrote:

"TJ400" wrote in message
roups.com...
I posted earlier regarding a Canadian alternate for 4130 steeel tubing
but now require assistance when importing other aircraft supplies into
Canada from Aircraft Spruce.

When parcel arrives here in Canada, shipping, GST, duty and brokerage
fees are incredibly high...

Wait a minute. I thought NAFTA was supposed to eliminate tariffs for both
northbound and southbound goods crossing the 49th parallel? Wasn't that one
of the points NAFTA supporters were bragging about?

Are there any secrets or hints I might use
when having this stuff shipped north... For those who do a lot of
importing, how is it best accomplished? Can a small aviation
enthusiast like myself save a little in any way?

thanks so much in advance
TJ...

NAFTA eliminates the duty on good made in the US or Mexico. All the
other fees still apply. To save on brokerage get them to ship by mail.
Then you just pay a $5.00 flat fee plus the GST and provincial tax
depending what province you live in. Often on small items they just go
straight through with no charges at all. Another way is to have your
shipment go to the UPS store in a border city. Then you can go over
and pick it up then broker it through yourself. I just did that with
my new prop cuz it was to big to ship by mail. Another way is to plan
your summer vacation to include a trip to Oshkosh all the vendors will
be there with much of their stuff on sale. If you stay long enough you
can bring back your stuff tax exempt.
Old June 3rd 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

DON'T ship by UPS.

Never.

Ever.

Ship by postal if possible, only costs $5.00 to cover the paperwork.
DHL is pretty good for brokerage fees right now, they're after
buisness .

Shouldn't be any duty on stuff marked as US origin on the paperwork,
you will have to pay the GST .

H.

Old June 3rd 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Howard Eisenhauer" wrote in message
DON'T ship by UPS.

Never.

Ever.

OK ???

Now tell us why you obviously feel so strongly about that.

'Cause I said so, just doesn't cut it, in an adult's world.
--
Jim in NC

Old June 3rd 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 20:53:35 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Howard Eisenhauer" wrote in message
.. .
DON'T ship by UPS.

Never.

Ever.

OK ???

Now tell us why you obviously feel so strongly about that.

'Cause I said so, just doesn't cut it, in an adult's world.
--
Jim in NC

Because they're not a bonded carrier. They hand over your parcel to a
bonded trucking company for them to carry over the border. Then they
pick it up again on the other side after it's gone through the
warehouse. Very slow and Very expensive. UPS is the worst way to get
cross border shipments.

Old June 3rd 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

OK, I'll give you my hit on it. RST used to use UPS exclusively back in the
80s. After fee increase over fee increase we started to look into sending
our stuff other ways. Whether you like the USPO or not, they are HALF the
cost of UPS and less than FedEx. FedEx beats UPS on cost also.

And, we have checked. If you send me something by UPS ground and it gets
here early for whatever reason, UPS will sit it on the shelf until the
"normal" ground time has expired, then deliver it. FedEx delivers it when
it gets to the terminal.

We also ship to Canada. MUCH less hassle to deliver by Post Office. If you
mark the box "Experimental Aircraft Parts" there is no (as our customers
have told us) duty on the package.

Don't ship by UPS.

Never.

Ever.