Cherokee 235 vs Trinidad vs Comanche

Old January 16th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

Default Cherokee 235 vs Trinidad vs Comanche

Matt Whiting wrote:

What is Vs and Vx on the Pathfinder?

For comparison purposes

from my PA28-236/Dakota manual...

Vx = 73 kts
Vy = 85 kts
Vs = 56 kts / flaps 40
= 65 kts / flaps 0

Total fuel = 77 gal
Usuable fuel = 72 gal
* the 236 is a taper wing with two fuel tanks, the 235 is a straight
Hershey bar wing with four fuel tanks

Max gross wt = 3000 lbs
Max ramp wt = 3011 lbs
For the airplane I flew, BEW = 1789 lbs, or 1222 lbs useful load

The C182R that I fly, the manual lists the following...

Vx = 59 kts
Vy = 81 kts
Vs = 40 kts / flaps 40
= 50 kts / flaps 0

Total fuel = 92 gal
Usable fuel = 88 gal

Max gross wt = 3100 lbs
Max ramp wt = 3110
For this airplane, BEW =1880, or 1230 lbs useful load

Old January 16th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

Jay Honeck wrote:

With Skyhawks, I'd agree. Skylanes, however, are very heavy in pitch
(by comparison), and feel very truck-like. Our Pathfinder is postively
dainty-feeling, by comparison, and it's not known for being light on
the controls.

C182's have a spring in the pitch control. This provides and artificial
"heavy" feel to the elevator control. Several years ago, Richard Collins
wrote an article which examined the design factors and accident rates of
several popular GA single engine piston aircraft. Collin's assertion was
that the artifical heavy feel of the Skylane's elevator contributed to
its safety record since any pull or push had to be deliberate and felt.
With the other aircraft he reviewed, the elevator pressure was lighter
and contol inputs could be made without realizing it. This is important
in instrument flying.

Old January 16th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Thomas Borchert

Newps,

Visibility? Nope, I don't think so.

Well, I do. Definitely. I fly a TB-10 Tobago now (same airframe), and I
have about 70 hours in 35s and 33s. The Bo is still nice ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 16th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Thomas Borchert

Newps,

It's just going to cost more all around.

More than something from Beech??? Come on. Let's just say you seem to
really like your Bo... ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 16th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Newps,

It's just going to cost more all around.

More than something from Beech??? Come on. Let's just say you seem to
really like your Bo... ;-)

I'm a data point of one but the high prices just don't pan out. It's
like shock cooling, more myth than reality.
Old January 16th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

Thomas Borchert wrote:

Two words:

- Doors!
- Visibility!

When Trinadads first arrived in the US, the complaint was the lack of
ventilation. All the glass made for a green house in the cabin.

I never heard if this adquately was addressed in subsequent models.

Old January 16th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

john smith wrote:
Thomas Borchert wrote:

Two words:

- Doors!
- Visibility!

When Trinadads first arrived in the US, the complaint was the lack of
ventilation. All the glass made for a green house in the cabin.

I never heard if this adquately was addressed in subsequent models.

I can believe that. I always snickered at the planes with curtains,
looked ridiculous. Now I know why. I need them in the Bo. I will
probably have my wife cobble something up with fabric and velcro.
Old January 16th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

("Douglas Paterson" wrote)
About a year ago, I started airplane shopping. For personal and
professional reasons, I had to back-burner that after never getting past
the tire-kicking stage. Along the way, I got a lot of help from folks on
this board, so now I'm returning to the fount as I prepare to begin anew.

Thanks--I'm a newbie, I know it, and this board has been invaluable.

What is your acquisition cap? $80K? $100K $150K? $200K?

The reason I ask is, how about something brand new ...with two other
partners?

They were asking around $420K.
Looks like now $175K (x3) might be closer (loaded + tax)

Diamond DA-42 Twin Star.
http://www.asijetcenter.com/index.cfm?event=pageview&contentpieceid=1404
AOPA Flight review (Nov 2006) Specs at the bottom

The Cool Factor will not fit in a 40' hangar ...44.5' wingspan.

Q: Consider, for a moment, if 100LL will be around much longer?
A: You won't care. You'll have liquid cooled diesel engines.

Q: Parts?
A: Warranty!

Montblack

Old January 16th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Beech just announced they are lowering prices on the Bonanza and Baron.
Now a typically outfitted glass panel Bo has a suggested retail of
$574K down from $667K. The Baron goes from $1.186 million to $1.046
million.

Montblack wrote:
[...]

A: You won't care. You'll have liquid cooled diesel engines.

Q: Parts?
A: Warranty!

Montblack

Old January 16th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Don Tuite

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:02:48 -0700, Newps wrote:

Beech just announced they are lowering prices on the Bonanza and Baron.
Now a typically outfitted glass panel Bo has a suggested retail of
$574K down from $667K. The Baron goes from $1.186 million to $1.046
million.

Soon as the minimum wage boost cuts in, it'll go right back up.

Don