Oshkosh 2003 Redux

Old August 5th 03, 07:21 PM
Jay Honeck

Respectfully disagree. The Vertex/Yaesu got one of our "BEST OF SHOW"
awards
this year for doing things the Icom can only dream of.

Dang -- I KNEW we shoulda made it to your forum!

What's it do that's so cool? (Heck, my ICOM even records transmissions for
later listening!)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 5th 03, 07:49 PM
Jim Weir

It is a geek thing. It has both AM for the aircraft band, FM for amateur
2-meters, the whole FM broadcast band AND a spectrum analyzer to see what
channels either side of the one you are on are being used.

I gotta agree, that digital recorder is a pretty nice feature also.

Jim

-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old August 5th 03, 08:44 PM
Jack Allison

Ah, at least *somebody* remembered me and my brother. Must have been the
schnapps that affected Jay's memory. :-) Yep, flew from Sacramento, CA in
a 2000 model super spam can. Made it home in two days though so we've
proven to ourselves that yes, it is possible to traverse a vast portion of
the country at speeds of 90-130 kts. You just get to enjoy more of the
landscape this way.

Firsts:
1) First time flying into and attending OSH for me. Got a "Nice job white
Cessna" after putting it down slightly past the white dot on runway 9.
Arrival was a rush and it was great hearing those words from the 9/27 tower
controller. ATC guys/gals did a super job during our arrival and departure.

2) First time flying through Bravo airspace on our way through Salt Lake.
Great view of Hill Air Force base and Ogden as we dodged clouds getting
lined up to go over the pass.

3) First time landing within Charlie airspace as we gassed up in at Reno
Intl. Ah, the perks that come with 100LL at $3-something a gallon.

4) First time flying through more states than I can count on our way to/from
OSH. Very cool, very tiring, very much worth it. Definitely added to my
bucket of experience without taking too much out of my bucket of luck.
Logged a tad over 16 hours of PIC time. Total time on the airplane was 32
hours. Never before have I logged so much time in such a short timeframe.

5) First time camping next to our plane, getting my sleeping bag wet and
attempting to dry it out before the next storm.

6) First time sleeping in a parked airplane as it was the only thing not
leaking during one of the early storms. I'm glad the seats reclined.

7) First time meeting some folks from the newsgroup. Had a blast at Jay's
little get together and as Jay said, didn't have the urge to try flying
after consuming a fair quantity of adult beverage. Great chance to put
names/faces together.

8) First time flying within 10 miles of a lightening strike. Over Salt Lake
on the return trip, we were headed toward an area of clear weather. To our
right was a rain squall about 10 miles away. Kept an eye on it and when I
saw two bolts hit the water, called for plan-B from brother/at the time
navigator. Managed to divert north and get over the MOAs and around the
weather.

Managed to avoid sunburn and dehydration but man did my feet hurt. Will
post pictures and description of our trip when I get some time. The trip
was definitely worth it and we're talking about coming back next year. The
plan is to drag our Dad with us. As a retired Air Force fighter pilot, he'd
get an absolute kick out of attending, especially since he's flown many of
the warbirds that are displayed.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old August 5th 03, 11:11 PM
Greg Burkhart

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Mary and I just returned from six glorious days camped next to Atlas on

the
field in Oshkosh! We're tired, sunburned, our feet hurt -- and damn, if
we didn't want to stay another week or three...

This was my first trek to Oshkosh. Here's my own recollections (probably not
in any particular order either):

-Drove over to OSH on Wednesday. Arrived about 8PM, parked at Piggly Wiggly
and entered the N40 to look for Jay's plane. Walked on the north side up to
the Hilton when I ran into someone and asked where I could find a plane.
They told me to go back around to the south side and check with
registration. Got to the registration area and found it was closed. Started
walking up and down the rows looking at the N-numbers and see if I
recognized any. Gave up after about 60 rows or so and went to Friar Tucks
for a few beers then returned to my car to sleep for the night. Needed the
beers to get sleep in the driver's seat of a Miata!

-Awoke Thursday to the sounds of aircraft taking off about 6:20 AM and went
into Piggly Wiggly for something for breakfast and get some spending cash.
Re-entered the N40 and walked to the registration to find that Jay was
parked in row 567. Walked around to where Jay was and he suggested I move my
car to either the Super-8 or Hilton and it would be closer. I went back for
the car and took it over to the Hilton and got a cup of coffee. I had a
slight head ache from the beers from the night before (I wasn't flying
anyways!) and was sore from sleeping in the Miata. Jay recommended that I
could set up my tent next to Brian and Christina's (right?) plane. It would
be better sleeping horizontal on the hard ground than crumpled up in the car
again!

-Went back to the registration booth and paid $83 for EAA membership, 2-days
of the airshow, a program and a 'free' hat. Made a bee-line through the
warbirds to where EAA's B-17 was sitting. Looked around at some of the other
warbirds and made my way south. Found the tent that had the type-clubs and
listened for a bit to the Ercoupe club people talking about motor mounts
then asked them about the trim tab mod. I wandered around looking at the
various displays. Went through the venders hangars gawking at all the
goodies available wishing I had the money to buy some of these to upgrade my
plane.

-My cousin wanted me to check out the price of Condor tires while I was
there. Saw the Varga booth and found the 'Oshkosh' price. Spent most of
Thursday walking and looking. Got caught in one of the afternoon rain
showers and was in the AOPA tent at the time. AOPA gave out the plastic rain
ponchos to anyone that asked. Saw the EAA ponchos were being sold for $3.
Found the 'Reopen Meigs' tent and signed the petition -- for what it's
worth. Saw a bunch of other stuff Thursday afternoon and then finally
returned to the N40 and met up with the Alexis Park Inn party group and met
more people from the groups than were at the Pre-Oshkosh party. Had a few
'ground-softeners' then over to Friar Tucks. Slept better Thursday night
than I did the night before...

-Woke up again Friday morning to the sounds of aircraft taxiing and taking
off. Walked over to the showers and back to the camp site. Met with Jay's
family and we decided to go to the Hilton for breakfast. Great breakfast! I
tagged along with Jay's family for a while as we walked through the warbirds
again watching the P51/Cessna incident happening and over to the Fly Market
area. Jay and I went on to the vendor hangars, I was going to order the
tires for my cousin and he was searching for the Narco and Icom radios,
artworks, etc. We went back to the Fly Market to search for an allen wrench
so Jay could swap the Narco radios. After a while I wandered off and looked
around on my own at the Segways at $10 for a 10 minute demo, the 8 Ercoupes
parked in the vintage area and various other 'stuff'. I then walked down to
the south end to catch the bus for the Sea Plane Base for the Friday night
fish fry. Met Jay's family there and enjoyed watching the Russian sea plane,
the sea-ultralights, and looking over the hovercrafts. Heading back from the
sea-plane base, we watched a lot of the various ultralights coming in for
touch & goes then walked up the flight line towards Theatre in the Woods for
the Neil Armstrong talk. Also enjoyed the 13y/o violinist, etc., that
preceded Neil. Still don't know who the emcee was. Headed back to the N40
and had a ground softener and watched the space station pass over Oshkosh at
10:53.

-Left Saturday morning and did my non-Oshkosh stuff, headed to Mackinac, MI
for the weekend. Left there Monday about noon and drove across Wisconsin.
Found the geological marker that says '45°N and 90°W'. Taking out my GPS, it
said that point was 0.20 miles from where the plaque was. Stayed the night
in western Wisconsin and finally made it home this afternoon.

Conclusion:
Bring more money and spend more time! There are a lot of things that I
missed and wished I saw. Now that I have 'some' idea what Oshkosh is like, I
may attempt to fly there next year and spend more time (and money). Great to
meet some of the people from these groups!

-Greg Burkhart

Old August 5th 03, 11:41 PM
Jay Honeck

Conclusion:
Bring more money and spend more time!

A) It is not possible to bring enough money.
B) It is not possible to spend enough time.

: )
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 6th 03, 12:31 AM
Scott Marquardt

Robert Perkins asked:

Well, whaddayaknow.

You getting back in the left seat, Scott?

Hi Rob!

Heck, Oshkosh is, itself, a left seat. Just about as much fun. I'm
extremely pleased that my kids got to hear Bud, Chuck, Bob, Burt, and
all the others in person. For my part, an hour at the Farm (just
watching) is more fun than I have around Chicago in a year.

The issue is entirely cash, so no, I won't be in the left seat for a
good time to come. It's these dang kids! It's their fault!

Meanwhile, inspired by the rash of scooter designs plaguing urban
police forces and Oshkosh booths this year, I'm mulling over a new
ultralight design. Enough, already, with sedentary flying! How about
the ultimate -- a Segway with a prop!

If I won the lotto (unlikely, since I don't play it), it'd be the
Velocity. That determination hasn't changed since it won my affection
from the Q2 years ago (alas, Dave Thompson). Before the Q2 it was a
Mooney 201 I wanted, but that was just a childhood fantasy.

As I said to my kids of the paralite skycruisers, though, "I'd strap
one of those to my back anytime, anywhere."

Happy flying...
Old August 6th 03, 02:34 AM
Paul Dowgewicz

Let's see, what can I add.

I did find out that if you get there after 5 PM, you get in free with
the next day's admission.

Listened to Yeager/Andersen/Roy Clark on Wed. night. Best moment was
earlier when someone got an award for his work with Young Eagles. He
went on for about 15 minutes and wasn't close to being done. Someone
whispered to him to wrap it up. He just abruptly said "Thank you" and
left. Does any organization give out more awards than EAA? I guess I
juat say that since I don't have one yet.

Parking at the Museum and taking the shuttle bus over works well most of
the time, but when the evening program gets over at 10 PM, I found the
busses don't run. Walked about 1/2 way. Then the storm started. I
guess you can only get so wet. After that it doesn't matter. Walking
across an open field with an umbrella probably wasn't a good idea.

On to better things. I didn't avoid eating on-site food. I heard the
fresh donuts were good, but I found them greaasy, and no bargain at
$1.25 each. I hate to say it, but McDonalds seems to have the best
on-site prices. I did make another convert to Culver's Butterburgers
though. I should work at starting a franchise in the New England.

The Orbis eye surgery DC-10 was impressive. I wouldn't think they would
need such a facility, but after taking the tour, I'm convinced they're
doing it right.

Listened to Burt Rutan talk about his sub-orbital project. One thing
that doesn't sound too good is that on reentry there will be a 15 sec.
time of a 5G load. The pilot needs to fly the craft during that time
too. Sounds like it's not for everybody yet.

Another unusual thing was the plane with the fan underneath powered by a
450 HP Mazda engine. I can't find its name right now.

Went to the web editor seminar. Held at the same time as Rod Machado,
but I figure I can hear him at AOPA in Oct. I was hoping to get more
tips on web content instead of how to set one up.

Also saw Dick Rutan's Voyager talk again which always reminds me of how
underachieving I am. I wanted to see Kent White do some magic with
aluminum, but didn't make it over.

Saw Scott Shields on the efforts of his rescue dog finding victims of
the WTC collapse. It was an amazing dog, but he was REALLY attached to
it.

Finally, I saw Richard Graham on the SR-71. I believe he said the
record to climb to 80,000 ft and accelerate to Mach 3 was 14 minutes.

EAA's streaming audio was nice to have on the days I wasn't able to be
there. It would have been nice to add the ATC for the day before the
show, but the price was still right.

Old August 6th 03, 03:23 AM
Bob Fry

"Montblack" writes:

Random thoughts, because I'm tired - haven't unpacked yet...

Tired...flying an Aircoupe 4 days to get back to California, I'm
tired...

Here's one observation that sticks with me. I was parked in the
Vintage Camping near the North-South runway, sort of half listening to
the announcer (who was far more often annoying, than helpful), when
something he said caused me to pay more attention. Some kind of high
wing plane, powered by a 300 hp geared-down diesel, went zipping by as
a demo. You could hardly hear it, so well muffled was the engine, and
the prop geared to 2000 rpm. Amazing quiet.

Old August 6th 03, 04:48 AM
RobertR237

In article QoWXa.72715$Ho3.10326@sccrnsc03, "Jay Honeck"
writes:

Conclusion:
Bring more money and spend more time!

A) It is not possible to bring enough money.
B) It is not possible to spend enough time.

: )
--
Jay Honeck

I must respectfully disagree to the (B). I just spent 7 days (Sunday thru
Sunday) and can tell you that I spent enough time. My feet and legs said that
I had spent enough time by Friday. I still haven't seen everything but there
is always next year and besides, you want to have something new to look forward
to.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old August 6th 03, 06:18 AM
Sydney Hoeltzli

Jim Weir wrote:
There was a young lady named Sydney
Who drank 'til she ruined her kidney.
It shriveled and shrank
As she sat there and drank
But she had a good time doin' it, didn't she?

I love it! Did you just make it up? One
effort deserves another:

There was an old pilot named Jim
Who flew off to Oshkosh on a whim
He got in a fight
with a Blonde one hot night
Now the Blonde has a husband named Jim

And next time you're in St. Louis for gosh sakes
give me a chance to ruin your kidneys!

Cheers,
Sydney