Russian NAVY detected foreign subs near Kamchatka

Old August 25th 03, 08:28 AM
Michael Petukhov

Default Russian NAVY detected foreign subs near Kamchatka

http://gazeta.ru/lenta.shtml?274014#274014 (in russian)

Aug 25, 7:40

commander-in-chief of Russian NAVY admiral Kuroedov told
press that forces of russian pacific ocean fleet have
detected in Saturday and also today foreign submarines
in the area near Kamchatka where large scale manoeuvres of our
fleet are carried out. "We are fully in control of this
situation and prepared to interact with our foreign
"observers" in this way as well. Perhaps those subs
came instead of observers who were invited but did not
came from some countries", he said //Interfax

Yesterday there were news reports that two Tu-160s arrived
to Vladivostok to carry out missions in "long distant ocean
zone". Tu-160s never operated in Pacific Ocean area.

Michael
Old August 25th 03, 04:16 PM
Gordon

Yesterday there were news reports that two Tu-160s arrived
to Vladivostok to carry out missions in "long distant ocean
zone". Tu-160s never operated in Pacific Ocean area.

"Never" Another typical Michael lie. The Breakout in April 85 included an
entire regiment of Central Asian-based Backfires, flying out over -- guess
where ? -- the Pacific, in the area south-east of Kamchatka. Keep it up,
Michael, you have a little bit of credibility left to destroy.

Gordon
Old August 25th 03, 04:20 PM
Yeff

On 25 Aug 2003 15:16:54 GMT, Gordon wrote:

"Never" Another typical Michael lie. The Breakout in April 85 included an
entire regiment of Central Asian-based Backfires, flying out over -- guess
where ? -- the Pacific, in the area south-east of Kamchatka. Keep it up,
Michael, you have a little bit of credibility left to destroy.

Aren't you confusing Backfire's (Tu-22M) and Blackjack's (Tu-160)?

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com
Old August 25th 03, 05:32 PM
Gordon

Aren't you confusing Backfire's (Tu-22M) and Blackjack's (Tu-160)?

LOL Hate to admit I screwed that one up! I read his post as saying Backfire.

v/r
Gordon
Old August 26th 03, 05:26 PM
Gordon

snip my mistake from three days ago

Do I? Thanks a lot! It is particularly valueablefrom you who has a
stainless credibility of high flying US NAVY aviation expert. Although
the question remains do all US NAVY aviation experts still believe that
Tu-160s and russian NAVY Tu-22M3s are the same planes? Just curiosity.

No, comrade Mikey, I simply made a small mistake that was discovered days ago
and apologized for at that time.

Gordon
Old August 26th 03, 10:44 PM
Chris Mark

Russia would be better off if it sold its Tu-160s to the Confederate Air Force
and used the money to buy medicines:

AIHA's CommonHealth

What does the coming decade hold for the New Independent States?

"Demograhically the outlook is bleak. I expect population growth to decline and
possibly even become negative over the next few years, in virtually all of the
former Republics. Although it is difficult to generalize, several factors
contribute to this trend.

First, and most visibly, is the military unrest in several regions and the
attendant emigration patterns....

Second, my gloomy projections reflect disturbing decreases in life expectancy,
and equally troubling increases in infant mortality. Moreover, abortions
continue at a high level, often causing secondary infections and infertility.
Thus in many regions of Russia and Ukraine, crude death rates now exceed crude
birth rates....

In part these patterns reflect the third notable factor in NIS demographic
trends: dramatic increases in childhood diseases. For example, Moscow, which
has a population of 9 million, recorded an astonishing 46 cases of diphtheria
in 1988, 94 in 1989, 688 in 1990, and 1,100 in 1991. The 1991 incidence of
diphtheria in Moscow (12.5 per 100,000) was more than 7, 000 times the rate in
the US (.0016 per 100,000). Stated another way, if the incidence of diphtheria
in the US were the same as it is in Moscow, diphtheria would strike 30,500
Americans each year.

Tragically, we can also expect these remarkable numbers to climb in the NIS,
because immunization levels in the NIS are much below the minimum considered
necessary to prevent an epidemic. Current global standards define that level as
90 percent (although Soviet sources usually referred to 95 percent as the
necessary epidemic-prevention level). For the NIS as a whole, immunization
levels are below 80 percent. In Russia, those rates hovered near 65 percent; in
Uzbekistan they run as low as 40 percent.

All of these conditions have been aggravated by long decades of environmental
degradation. For example, 70 million persons in the NIS currently live in
cities where air pollutants exceed Maximum Pollution Concentration levels (the
"PDK") by five times: 50 million reside in cities where pollutants exceed the
PDK by ten times or more. In general, each five-fold increase in pollution
rates over the PDK represents a doubling in the illness rate. Surface water and
land contamination throughout the NIS pose analogous problems.

Perhaps the single most important environmental factor now under study is
radioactivity. Chernobyl's release of 50 million curies is minor compared to
the release of radioactivity by military testing in Chelyabinsk,
Sami-Palatinsk, and the Northern Seas, or the release of radioactivity by
civilian nuclear explosions throughout the entire country. I believe that this
radioactivity is related to the sharply rise in birth defects and deformities
throughout the former Soviet Union. It also offers an explanation for why life
expectancies are so low (45 to 50 years at birth) in areas such as the northern
tier of Russia and the Urals. All of these factors contribute to relatively low
life expectancy throughout the NIS.

The current situation is greatly aggravated by the state of the health care
system in the NIS. Medicines are in such short supply that a leading Russian
physician told the Moscow Medical Society that the expects 1.5 million excess
deaths in Russia this year due solely to lack of medications -not including
shortages of bandages, single-use syringes and needles, electrocardiographs,
and other supplies and equipment.

There is no simple cure for this confluence of negative factors...."

Murray Feshbach is Research Professor of Demography at Georgetown University
(Washington, DC).

Chris Mark
Old August 26th 03, 11:51 PM
Tank Fixer

In article ,
says...
As for Tu-22M3 vs. Tu-160

Have one great similarity...

They sit on the ground alot.....

Remember, Friendly fire, Isn't :
Old August 27th 03, 06:21 PM
Gordon

Let me get this straight, comrade Mikey - I made a mistake, admitted it
immediately, and, in your rather dim eyes, you see this as "destroying" my
"professional reputation"?

Well, I could take a page from your playbook and deny my error in the face of
overwhelming evidence (MOON HOAX) or slightly backpedal without ever admitting
I made a mistake, but to tell you the truth, I wouldn't want to do anything in
your manner. I prefer to admit my mistakes when they happen.

you who has a
stainless credibility of high flying US NAVY aviation expert.

Thanks, comrade Mikey! Here I thought I was just a face in the crowd of people
who think of you as a nationalist ex-patriot.

Although
the question remains do all US NAVY aviation experts still believe that
Tu-160s and russian NAVY Tu-22M3s are the same planes? Just curiosity.

Ask them, comrade - since I have been out of the Navy for years, it seems
ridiculous of you, as usual, to think I am speaking on their behalf. I don't
represent the US Navy; I represent the people who think you are a fool.

Look at the dates. your "days" are from the same department of "small
mistakes". It seems Gordon you do have propesities to distort
unpleasant
reality according to your current needs. Yeah Gordon small useful lie?

Funny, that - I made a mistake and didn't try to cover it. In the last couple
years of watching you here in RAM, I don't recall ever seeing you do the same.

As for Tu-22M3 vs. Tu-160 well some "small mistakes" can destroy
professional reputation forever.

I didn't confuse these two numerical designations, I confused their quite
similar NATO reporting names, ONCE, in a posting, and admitting to my mistake.
Since you seem in a position of being able to claim you've never made a similar
mistake, I'd love to see you say that in print.

in my personal view this
"small mistake" does speak for the real professional level of
its maker.

Your "personal view" is mighty narrow anyway and is of no concern. Or are you
pretending that before this error of mine, you considered me an expert...?
You're just being churlish, as I'd expect of you.

I do not know how about others but sorry Gordon after that
"accident" I cannot take you seriousely anymore, at least not in the
field of military aviation.

Please, Mikey, don't feel sorry - I think I can live with it.

Gordon