Tail Dolly Tire

Old August 2nd 16, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

Default Tail Dolly Tire

On Monday, August 1, 2016 at 8:01:15 AM UTC-7, John Cochrane wrote:
The tail dolly tire is flat again. The last time this happened, it took me bloody forever to get the tire bead off the rim, and back on again, with bicycle tools. (The wheel is one piece and does not come apart.) Somebody else must have figured this out. Short of taking it to a tire store, who has a tool, tip or trick for how to do this right?
Thanks for advice
John Cochrane BB

Timing....
I had my solid tail dolly tire come off while moving the glider down a very ratty runway at Mackay Idaho last Wednesday. I quickly borrowed a like tail dolly to get the glider positioned. The tire lost a chunk on the inner rim, but was still intact. I used a bucket, Dawn liquid dish, and water. Soaked the tire and rim, 2 large screwdrivers, a curb, and my foot to get the tire easily back on the rim.

Replacement from http://www.magnusinc.com/ (pretty much an exact match)
Cost: under $40 not including shipping

part no: VW 202/20R

·wheels with ‘Blickle Soft’ soft rubber tyres, with pressed steel rim

Wheels:
Made of ‘Blickle Soft’ highly elastic soft rubber, round profile, highest operational comfort, exceptionally low-noise operation, excellent floor preservation.

· Tread/ty
Made of “Blickle Soft" soft rubber.

· Wheel centre/rim:
Pressed steel rim with tubular steel hub, pressed rim (special shock and impact-resistant design), zinc-plated, blue-passivated, Cr6-free. Tyre pressed with rim.

· Wheel centre colour:
blau passiviert

Technical data

Display in: "/lbs/°F

Wheel Ø
200 mm (D)

Tyre width
50 mm (T2)

Load capacity
100 kg

Axle bore Ø
20 mm (d)

Hub length
60 mm (T1)

unit weight
1,7 kg

Temperature resistance
-25 ° C

Temperature resistance to
80 ° C

tread and tyre hardness
50° Shore A

Bearing type
Roller bearing

Wheel Ø
7,9 inch (D)

Wheel width
0,197 inch (T2)

Load capacity
220 lb

Axle bore Ø
0,787 inch (d)

Hub length
0,2 inch (T1)

Schraubloch-Ø
5,512 inch (d2)

Offset swivel castor
33,5 inch

unit weight
3,8 lb

Temperature resistance
-13 °F

Temperature resistance to
176 °F

tread and tyre hardness
50° Shore A

Bearing type:
Roller bearing

Old August 20th 16, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 11:36:44 AM UTC-4, Craig Reinholt wrote:
I had my solid tail dolly tire come off while moving the glider down
a very ratty runway at Mackay Idaho last Wednesday.
... I used a bucket, Dawn liquid dish, and water. Soaked the tire and
rim, 2 large screwdrivers, a curb, and my foot to get the tire easily
back on the rim.

Wheels:
Made of ‘Blickle Soft’ highly elastic soft rubber, round profile,
highest operational comfort, exceptionally low-noise operation,
excellent floor preservation.

Well, these nice soft solid-rubber tires have a bad habit of coming
off the rim. In addition to two posts above, this happened to at least
3 Arcus owners at Uvalde, including me twice. First time I was a wimp
and dropped it off at the tire store next to the airport. 2nd time I
used two screwdrivers and some nasty language to frighten it back onto
the rim. 2nd time it happened I was making a gentle turn towing out
on a nice smooth taxiway.

Probably I'll ditch this and get the old style tube/tire and foam-fill...

Aaarrrgggg......
Old August 20th 16, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

Dave, you could use contact cement or double stick tape to bond the rubber to the rim like cyclists do with sew ups.

Ka-6 E Tail Dolly [email protected] Soaring 0 November 8th 15 05:26 PM
Tail dolly for 1-35? [email protected] Soaring 5 October 22nd 13 11:14 PM
FS: ASW-24 Tail Dolly [email protected] Soaring 0 December 26th 06 03:40 PM
Tail Dolly Tire Albert Gold Soaring 7 May 19th 05 01:36 PM
L-23 tail dolly Mark Zivley Soaring 1 November 27th 04 12:16 PM