folding bicycle - Cardinal RG

Old January 10th 05, 02:56 AM
Stephen N Mills

Default folding bicycle - Cardinal RG

I am planning to buy a folding bicycle for use in Vicky (N2679V -
Cardinal RG '75).

Eventually there will be two bicycles, his and hers. Occasional use
for trips up to 5 or 10 miles in moderate hills, no mountain biking,
no centuries. More than three speeds would be nice but I don't know if
necessary. I do Angel Flights and want to be able to take *one*
bicycle with the rear seat full of passengers. The bike can go in the
door and over the seat into baggage but not on the rear seat. When my
wife and I go on trips, we want to be able to take two bicycles and
can spread bikes and baggage. I also have dual weight & balance specs
so I can remove the rear seat.

My current thought is to get Dahon 16" (Picollo, $280) or 20"
(Boardwalk, $250) from Aircraft Spruce. While price is not a
determining factor, I would rather pay $280 than $800 or more.

Two 16" look to go in thru the baggage door, fit fore and aft of the
gear hump, but they're only 3 speed. It doesn't look like the 20" will
go thru the baggage door but I think two will fit on the rear seat and
it has 6 (7?) speeds. And I don't know if I can get it in the door and
over the seat into the baggage hold.

Comments based on experience are hereby requested.

- Steve
- N2679V ('Vicky') '75 Cardinal RG @ PDK, Atlanta

Old January 10th 05, 03:49 AM
Don Tuite

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 21:56:38 -0500, Stephen N Mills
wrote:

Comments based on experience are hereby requested.

My only experience is with the 20" version.

The ride's OK. Not up to a real bike (no toe cllips for ascents, the
ends of the gear range could be a little higher and a little lower, or
maybe the cranks could be a llittle longer -- but then it wouldn't
fold.). Steering response is a little quick. (That might be even more
pronounced with the 16" wheels.)

25# is heavy. It might be lighter without the fenders and rack, but
the rack, at least, is handy. (I'm not sure an aftermarket seatpost
rack would fit the oversize seatpost -- which necks down to fit a
standard seat.) If I had unlimited bucks, I might investigate alloy
wheels.

Folded width is, what? I estimate 10". Include width wen you figure
how they're going to fit. I can get exactly 1 Dahon into the cargo
hold of a Cherokee 235.

Folding and unfolding is fast and easy (30 seconds, max), and the
frame is rigid--no whip). The indexed rear derailleur is reliable and
easily adjusted. Brakes are, well, they're bicycle brakes.

Dahons are, IMO, adequate on the flat. I wouldn't contemplate doing a
succession of long hills or anything like a day in the saddle.

Don

Old January 10th 05, 07:24 AM
Roger

wrote:

I am planning to buy a folding bicycle for use in Vicky (N2679V -
Cardinal RG '75).

Eventually there will be two bicycles, his and hers. Occasional use
for trips up to 5 or 10 miles in moderate hills, no mountain biking,
no centuries. More than three speeds would be nice but I don't know if
necessary. I do Angel Flights and want to be able to take *one*
bicycle with the rear seat full of passengers. The bike can go in the
door and over the seat into baggage but not on the rear seat. When my
wife and I go on trips, we want to be able to take two bicycles and
can spread bikes and baggage. I also have dual weight & balance specs
so I can remove the rear seat.

I put a full size Fuji road bike in the baggage compartment on the
Debonair and I'd think the Cardinal would have more room that it.

With my wife and I, we put both bikes in back (removing the front
wheels), throw a blanket over them, then the wheels which are tied
down. Then anything light and soft. Heavier stuff goes in the back
seat.

My current thought is to get Dahon 16" (Picollo, $280) or 20"
(Boardwalk, $250) from Aircraft Spruce. While price is not a
determining factor, I would rather pay $280 than $800 or more.

Two 16" look to go in thru the baggage door, fit fore and aft of the
gear hump, but they're only 3 speed. It doesn't look like the 20" will
go thru the baggage door but I think two will fit on the rear seat and

We put them in the front door and over the seats. The baggage door on
the Deb will only let you put in a small suit case.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old January 12th 05, 05:28 AM

Steve,
We bought a 7-gear Giant Halfway last summer. It's a beautiful,
well-designed bike, folds up very easily and rides very comfortably.
The cost was $550 including a carrying bag.

Mfg: Giant - check under specialty bike
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/page.asp
Model: Halfway (halfway between a street and dirt bike). 20", 7
speed
Reviews:
http://www.pestridge.go-plus.net/transport/giant.html
http://philip.greenspun.com/flying/shopping

It's a bit more heavy than the 8-speed Dahon Helios P8 which was
also under consideration (28lbs vs. 23lbs). The several months backlog
on Dahon bikes and some of the bad reports on this brand reliability
and mfg support were the reasons for the Giant Halfway purchase.

We have not tried to fit the bike inside our Cardinal FG but would
not expect any problems. Originally we had planned to get another
Giant but I may end up getting the Helios P8 to save some weight.