Reporting an Aviation Accident

Old November 27th 04, 03:03 AM
Happy Dog

Default Reporting an Aviation Accident

The Canadian and US regulations state reporting procedures and the
conditions under which a accident plane can be moved. But what is the
procedure for this scenario:

Two planes are involved in a midair enroute from Canada to the US. The
midair happens in Canadian Airspace but the planes land in the US. Both
planes are seriously damaged. Is it an offence to land anywhere but the
nearest suitable airport? Which authority must be notified? Once the
planes have landed, can they be moved from the place they stopped without
permission from the investigating authority? (i.e. Moved from the ramp to a
hangar.)

Le Moo

Old November 27th 04, 03:28 AM
zatatime

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:03:55 -0500, "Happy Dog"
wrote:

The Canadian and US regulations state reporting procedures and the
conditions under which a accident plane can be moved. But what is the
procedure for this scenario:

Two planes are involved in a midair enroute from Canada to the US. The
midair happens in Canadian Airspace but the planes land in the US. Both
planes are seriously damaged. Is it an offence to land anywhere but the
nearest suitable airport? Which authority must be notified? Once the
planes have landed, can they be moved from the place they stopped without
permission from the investigating authority? (i.e. Moved from the ramp to a
hangar.)

Le Moo

Call everybody, let them work it out, and stop trolling.

Old November 27th 04, 03:30 AM
tony roberts

Is it an offence to land anywhere but the
nearest suitable airport?

As far as I'm aware it isn't an offense to crash anywhere other than the
nearest airport - which appears to be what you are describing.

Which authority must be notified?

Initially the US - that's where the planes crashed.
Where were the aircraft registered?

Once the
planes have landed, can they be moved from the place they stopped without
permission from the investigating authority?

Not unless they pose an immediate threat

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old November 27th 04, 03:43 AM
Happy Dog

"zatatime" wrote in message
wrote:

The Canadian and US regulations state reporting procedures and the
conditions under which a accident plane can be moved. But what is the
procedure for this scenario:

Two planes are involved in a midair enroute from Canada to the US. The
midair happens in Canadian Airspace but the planes land in the US. Both
planes are seriously damaged. Is it an offence to land anywhere but the
nearest suitable airport? Which authority must be notified? Once the
planes have landed, can they be moved from the place they stopped without
permission from the investigating authority? (i.e. Moved from the ramp to
hangar.)

Le Moo

Call everybody, let them work it out, and stop trolling.

Thanks for the informed response. Trolls usually post from anonymous
addresses though, idiot.

Old November 27th 04, 03:55 AM
Happy Dog

"tony roberts" wrote in message

Is it an offence to land anywhere but the
nearest suitable airport?

As far as I'm aware it isn't an offense to crash anywhere other than the
nearest airport - which appears to be what you are describing.

If you thought (thought?) that you could continue on would it be an offense
to land anywhere but the nearest suitable airport? I'm guessing that
arguing that you believed the plane to still be airworthy wouldn't fly, as
it were. So, there would be no excuse for landing anywhere but the closest
airport. That might result in an illegal entry vis a vis immigration
authorities but the emergency justifies it. (I know a case where a Canadian
student lost electrical power on a night solo and landed at a US airport.
He was given very little trouble by US authorities. Pre 9/11 though.)

Which authority must be notified?

Initially the US - that's where the planes crashed.

I would suspect. But is it an offence not to contact the TSB in Canada per
Canadian regulations? (AIP GEN 3)

Where were the aircraft registered?

I believe they're US based.

Once the
planes have landed, can they be moved from the place they stopped without
permission from the investigating authority?

Not unless they pose an immediate threat

My interpretation as well.

Thanks.

Old November 27th 04, 04:31 AM
Newps

tony roberts wrote:

Once the
planes have landed, can they be moved from the place they stopped without
permission from the investigating authority?

Not unless they pose an immediate threat

Common misconception. It's my property and if I feel I need to move it
then I will move it. Also nowhere in any regs does it say an aircraft
cannot be moved or must be released by some authority.
Old November 27th 04, 05:19 AM
Happy Dog

"Newps"

tony roberts wrote:

Once the planes have landed, can they be moved from the place they
stopped without permission from the investigating authority?

Not unless they pose an immediate threat

Common misconception. It's my property and if I feel I need to move it
then I will move it. Also nowhere in any regs does it say an aircraft
cannot be moved or must be released by some authority.

Of course you will. In what country? This question is a routine exam item.
I assume that you're in the US (but Canadian regs are the same). You cannot
legally move an airplane involved in an accident (with few exceptions) until
authorized by the appropriate authority. Do some research:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...cfr830_03.html

Score yourself:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/ge.../Section14.htm

le moo

Old November 27th 04, 05:44 AM
tony roberts

Common misconception. It's my property and if I feel I need to move it
then I will move it. Also nowhere in any regs does it say an aircraft
cannot be moved or must be released by some authority.

I'm Canadian and am following the Canadian regs, which state:

Except to rescue or remove survivors, extinguish a fire, or to prevent
danger to any person or property, nothing at the site should be touched
or removed . The preservation of any marks on the ground or objects
along the accident trail is also of critical importance.

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old November 27th 04, 05:45 AM
John Harlow

Call everybody, let them work it out, and stop trolling.

Thanks for the informed response. Trolls usually post from anonymous
addresses though, idiot.

If a "seriously damaged" plane can land anywhere the LAST thing the persons
on board are going to worry about is some silly regulation or which country
it's in.

Amd you call HIM an idiot!

Old November 27th 04, 06:02 AM
Dale

In article ,
Newps wrote:

Common misconception. It's my property and if I feel I need to move it
then I will move it. Also nowhere in any regs does it say an aircraft
cannot be moved or must be released by some authority.

That depends on where your mishap happens. On the airport I worked at
your airplane belonged to me until I released it.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html