Flying wing vs tailless airplane

Old April 23rd 04, 05:02 PM
BernadetteTS

Default Flying wing vs tailless airplane

What is the difference between a flying wing and a tailless airplane? Is
there a difference? Just wondering after reading the post about the
monarch glider a few weeks ago. Where would an ME-163 be classified.
Does an F-106 or B-58 delta wing count as a tailless airplane?

Thanks
Bernadette
Old April 23rd 04, 05:06 PM
Dude

I don't know if there is an official answer, but I would say that a flying
wing has no discernible fuselage.

A fuselage that is shaped to provide lift might be a sticky call though.

Old April 23rd 04, 07:20 PM
Bill Daniels

The term 'flying wing' is newspaper bafflegab. All wings fly even if they
are attached to an aircraft that has a tail. I once read that Jack Northrop
was appalled by the term but accepted it when the newspapers wrote favorable
articles about his designs.

Aerodynamic texts seem to use the term 'tailless aircraft' to describe any
aircraft whose elevator function is integrated into the wing. This is
distinct from the fin and rudder which can be retained as in the ME-163. If
the aircraft is small and uses a high aspect ratio wing, it needs some sort
of fuselage or nacelle to contain the pilot as in the case of Jim Marske's
gliders.

Northrop and the Hortons dreamed of eliminating everything but the wing
itself. Their designs would probably have been better if they had made a
concession and used winglets.

Bill Daniels

Old April 23rd 04, 07:30 PM
Wright1902Glider

Actually, I think a lifting fuselage comes under its own category... lifting
body.
Historically, a flying wing aircraft is not only without a fuselage, it is just
a wing. Its engines, cockpit, bomb bays, landing gear, etc. are all contained
within the wing structure itself. That would include all of Northrop's designs
(YB-49, B-2), most/all of Horten's, and just about every hang-glider since
Francis Regallo. I would also clasify the ME-162 as a flying wing even though
it is a little fat in its center section.

I'd call the F-106, Mirage, space shuttle, Concorde, etc. delta-winged
aircraft. Definately a triangular-shaped wing attached to a fuselage.

Now here's another question: are canard aircraft tailless? I can think of
some that a Rutan EZ, Wright 1900 & 1901 gliders. I can also think of some
that aren't: Rutan Voyager, Wright 1902-1908 Flyers.

Fun stuff,
Harry
Old April 24th 04, 02:26 AM
Blueskies

The B2 fails the no fuselage definition I would think, blended fuselage maybe but not no fuselage.

--
Dan D.
http://www.ameritech.net/users/ddevillers/start.html

..

Old May 1st 04, 06:47 PM
Wright1902Glider

Dan,

Before I had a good idea of what I was doing, I built quite a few wings that
couldn't fly. And I'm not real sure about the one I have now.

How would you classify an aircraft like mine? Its got a canard, and its got a
rear mounted rudder. But I havn't met a single person yet that would call the
parts in between a "fuselage." A few sticks maybe... The whole rudder assy.
and tail end of my glider is behind my bedroom door right now.

Ah, the joys of pioneer aircraft. Nobody knows what they are, nobody knows how
to classify them, but everyone's pretty sure that I shouldn't be allowed to fly
them. Hmmm... gonna hafta get a radial engine... and some guns... people like
airplanes with radial engines and guns.

Harry Frey
Wright Brothers Enterprises

"PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!" ...Professor Marvel,
Wizard of Oz

Old May 2nd 04, 07:21 PM
Fred the Red Shirt

"Blueskies" wrote in message ...
Sounds like an ultralight to me ;-)

.
"Wright1902Glider" wrote in message ...

How would you classify an aircraft like mine? Its got a canard, and its got a
rear mounted rudder. But I havn't met a single person yet that would call the
parts in between a "fuselage." A few sticks maybe... The whole rudder assy.
and tail end of my glider is behind my bedroom door right now.

Wings on a stick.

Google for 'Breezy'.

--

FF