Non Chromate Anti Corrosion and Paint Prep X-it Prekote?

Old April 28th 04, 03:30 PM
All Thumbs

Default Non Chromate Anti Corrosion and Paint Prep X-it Prekote?

I want to treat my aluminum parts for anti corrosion and paint. I am
reluctant to use etch and alodine because of the disposal problem. I
ran across a product called Prekote made by Pantheon chemicals. It
may have been called X-it before that. It is non-toxic and
non-hazardous. The Air Force is testing it.

I wondered if anyone here has used it, and what their experience was
like.
The MSDS is available at www.pantheonchemical.com

Thanks,

Craig Evans
BD Builder
Old April 29th 04, 05:25 PM
VideoFlyer

I am building a Zenith plane and using the anti-corrosion material that they
recommend....called Cortec. I purchased 5 gallon (the smallest quantity I
could) of the olive green "373" and have 4 gallon for sale. Zenith Aircraft
sells it for $20/quart. I will sell a gallon for $75 and that includes
shipping (in continental U.S.)

Here is Click he ProductsCortec's website if you want to know more about
it. I like it because it is completely non-toxic.

http://www.cortecvci.com/Products/products.php

Dave Harms

Old April 30th 04, 02:45 AM
Blueskies

12 months indoor protection?

--
Dan D.
http://www.ameritech.net/users/ddevillers/start.html

..

Old April 30th 04, 03:01 PM
DL152279546231

http://www.cortecvci.com/Products/products.php

Dave Harms

Their site lists a bunch of products but I don't see one labelled strictly
"Cortec"
Old May 1st 04, 05:45 AM
VideoFlyer

The Cortec product we're talking about is VpCI 373. Among the properties
listed on their website a

* Excellent replacement for chromate treatments.
*Good adhesion on surfaces which are difficult to adhere to.
* Multimetal protection
* Excellent primer for aluminum
* Conforms to MIL-P-15328D
....and etc.

I guess I should have given a more specific URL. Try this:

http://www.cortecvci.com/Publications/PDS/373.pdf

Old May 2nd 04, 06:46 PM
All Thumbs

www.terravendi.com/PreKote/prekote-EA.asp

This address shows PreKote for Experimental usage
Old May 5th 04, 02:19 AM
Ryan Young

These are both promising products, but they are very different.

I've done a fair amount of research on the least toxic ways to prep
and paint aluminum, and I have never seen anything like Prekote. It's
not a paint, and it's not a conversion coating, it's more like a
detergent with a residual film. Note that the scrubbing is not to
"penetrate the pores", it's to mechanically break down the existing
oxide coat. I plan on trying this on my long-term exposure test
piece. It MUST be top coated with a true primer and presumably a
finish coat.

The Coretec product looks like a waterborne version of long-existing
"Wash Primers". It's closer to a paint product, in that it forms a
"cured" film. A nice, low-impact product, but it's not as
revolutionary as the Prekote credibly seems to be.

Thanks to both of you for sharing these leads with us.
Old May 5th 04, 04:21 PM
All Thumbs

I just made arrangements to get a gallon of Prekote to test. I'll
post my experience here. Pantheon is interested in the Experimental
airplane market.

Craig