STAR to neighboring airport

Old May 23rd 04, 02:19 PM
Viperdoc

Default STAR to neighboring airport

Recently I was arriving from the southwest to my home base of UES (Waukesha,
WI), and was given the Veena arrival.

However, the Veena arrival is not listed as a STAR to Waukesha, but is under
the section for Milwaukee, which is around 20 miles away (in the Jepp
charts). Waukesha is not under the class C area of MKE. On the chart there
is no listed transition to Waukesha. However, one of the fixes on the star
is the Badger VOR, which is the IAF for several approaches into Waukesha.

There is also a nearby class C, which is Madison.

If unfamiliar, issuing a clearance with a STAR to a nearby airport might be
confusing. If suddenly going nordo where should one land- at the original
airport or follow the complete transition into the class C? (I know this is
a somewhat academic question)

Is this a common practice for controllers? I could see it producing some
confusion by pilots if unfamiliar with the area. Using NACO charts it is
easy to look up, but in the Jepps it could be very difficult to find.

Old May 23rd 04, 03:41 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sun, 23 May 2004 13:19:12 GMT, "Viperdoc"
wrote:

Recently I was arriving from the southwest to my home base of UES (Waukesha,
WI), and was given the Veena arrival.

However, the Veena arrival is not listed as a STAR to Waukesha, but is under
the section for Milwaukee, which is around 20 miles away (in the Jepp
charts). Waukesha is not under the class C area of MKE. On the chart there
is no listed transition to Waukesha. However, one of the fixes on the star
is the Badger VOR, which is the IAF for several approaches into Waukesha.

There is also a nearby class C, which is Madison.

If unfamiliar, issuing a clearance with a STAR to a nearby airport might be
confusing. If suddenly going nordo where should one land- at the original
airport or follow the complete transition into the class C? (I know this is
a somewhat academic question)

Academically, I would follow the note on the STAR chart (at least on the
Jepp chart): "LOST COMMUNICATIONS PROCEDURE ONLY From Veena Int proceed
direct IAF for the destination airport."

Is this a common practice for controllers?

The STAR only has one name. In this case it has several transitions.

I could see it producing some confusion by pilots if unfamiliar with the area. Using NACO charts it is
easy to look up, but in the Jepps it could be very difficult to find.

Well, I use JeppView and the VEENA ONE Arrival popped up when I selected
your airport. There is a list on the STAR of the airports to which the
STAR applies. But if you have a problem in the air, you can query ATC as
to the primary airport for the STAR, or tell him you don't have the chart
available.

Old May 23rd 04, 07:10 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Viperdoc" wrote in message

Recently I was arriving from the southwest to my home base of
UES (Waukesha, WI), and was given the Veena arrival.

However, the Veena arrival is not listed as a STAR to Waukesha, but
is under the section for Milwaukee, which is around 20 miles away (in
the Jepp charts).

The Veena One arrival is listed as a STAR to Waukesha in the NACO plates.
Perhaps you should complain to Jeppesen.

Waukesha is not under the class C area of MKE. On the chart there
is no listed transition to Waukesha. However, one of the fixes on the star
is the Badger VOR, which is the IAF for several approaches into Waukesha.

But Waukesha is depicted on the STAR, as are Timmerman, Racine, and Kenosha.
Airspace delegated to an approach control facility tends to be considerably
larger than any Class C airspace it may contain.

There is also a nearby class C, which is Madison.

Yes, but UES is in controlled airspace delegated to Milwaukee approach.

If unfamiliar, issuing a clearance with a STAR to a nearby airport
might be confusing. If suddenly going nordo where should one land- at
the original airport or follow the complete transition into the class C?

(I
know this is a somewhat academic question)

The VEENA 1 says you "From VEENA INT proceed direct IAF for destination
airport" in the event of lost communications.

Is this a common practice for controllers?

Yup.

I could see it producing some
confusion by pilots if unfamiliar with the area. Using NACO charts it is
easy to look up, but in the Jepps it could be very difficult to find.

Well, that's a shortcoming of Jeppesen.