Filing with a STAR

Old October 11th 04, 03:27 PM
Paul Tomblin

Default Filing with a STAR

I'm going to be flying from ROC to BAF weekend after next. Just plugging
the end points into Aeroplanner gives me a nice simple route V2 ALB V146,
but I see that BAF has a STAR, SWEDE ONE. It's a bit longer than the
simple route, and since I've never flown that direction I don't know if I
should file what I want and expect them to reroute me along SWEDE ONE, or
should I just admit the inevitable and file SWEDE ONE? If I do that, how
do you put it in a flight plan? Is it V2 SYR V433 RKA RKA.SWEDE1?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
So Linus, what are we doing tonight?
Old October 11th 04, 03:51 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, (Paul Tomblin) said:
should file what I want and expect them to reroute me along SWEDE ONE, or
should I just admit the inevitable and file SWEDE ONE? If I do that, how
do you put it in a flight plan? Is it V2 SYR V433 RKA RKA.SWEDE1?

Oh, and I just noticed the note for STELA that says "Expect to cross at
11,000". I don't think I want to climb that high.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Please accept my resignation. I do not want to belong to a club that
Old October 11th 04, 03:53 PM

Paul Tomblin wrote:

I'm going to be flying from ROC to BAF weekend after next. Just plugging
the end points into Aeroplanner gives me a nice simple route V2 ALB V146,
but I see that BAF has a STAR, SWEDE ONE. It's a bit longer than the
simple route, and since I've never flown that direction I don't know if I
should file what I want and expect them to reroute me along SWEDE ONE, or
should I just admit the inevitable and file SWEDE ONE? If I do that, how
do you put it in a flight plan? Is it V2 SYR V433 RKA RKA.SWEDE1?

You don't need to state RKA twice, and you need to connect with dots::

V2.SYR.V433.RKA.SWEDE1

Old October 11th 04, 04:50 PM

Paul Tomblin wrote:

In a previous article, (Paul Tomblin) said:
should file what I want and expect them to reroute me along SWEDE ONE, or
should I just admit the inevitable and file SWEDE ONE? If I do that, how
do you put it in a flight plan? Is it V2 SYR V433 RKA RKA.SWEDE1?

Oh, and I just noticed the note for STELA that says "Expect to cross at
11,000". I don't think I want to climb that high.

Does it state on the STAR "For Turbojets?"

Old October 11th 04, 08:48 PM
Robert M. Gary

(Paul Tomblin) wrote in message ...
I'm going to be flying from ROC to BAF weekend after next. Just plugging
the end points into Aeroplanner gives me a nice simple route V2 ALB V146,
but I see that BAF has a STAR, SWEDE ONE. It's a bit longer than the
simple route, and since I've never flown that direction I don't know if I
should file what I want and expect them to reroute me along SWEDE ONE, or
should I just admit the inevitable and file SWEDE ONE? If I do that, how
do you put it in a flight plan? Is it V2 SYR V433 RKA RKA.SWEDE1?

Its pretty rare that a STAR is actually given to a non-jet aircraft
though. Usually they want us away from the STAR so we don't get in the
way.

-Robert
Old October 11th 04, 08:49 PM
C Kingsbury

I'm guessing the STAR is there to avoid conflicts with jet traffic from
Bradley (BDL) to the South. I'd just file to BAF and expect vectors from
Bradley Approach. Of course, if you want to know for sure, you could take
out the A/FD and call Bradley and ask.

-cwk.

In a previous article, said:
Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, (Paul Tomblin) said:
should file what I want and expect them to reroute me along SWEDE ONE,

or
should I just admit the inevitable and file SWEDE ONE? If I do that,

how
do you put it in a flight plan? Is it V2 SYR V433 RKA RKA.SWEDE1?

Oh, and I just noticed the note for STELA that says "Expect to cross at
11,000". I don't think I want to climb that high.

Does it state on the STAR "For Turbojets?"

Nope. But three of the four transitions say "are high altitude only".
And SWEDE says "Expect to cross at or below FL230".

Old October 11th 04, 10:13 PM
Dan Luke

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:
Its pretty rare that a STAR is actually given to a non-jet aircraft
though. Usually they want us away from the STAR so we don't get in the
way.

That seems to depend on the local way of doing things. I've been given the
Trinity One STAR going into Houston many times, although recently it's been
an abbreviated version. Memory is dim, but I'm pretty sure I got a STAR
into Atlanta once, too.
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old October 11th 04, 11:50 PM

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Its pretty rare that a STAR is actually given to a non-jet aircraft
though. Usually they want us away from the STAR so we don't get in the
way.

Depends where you're at.