PFC Lynch gets a Bronze Star?

Old July 25th 03, 12:56 AM
Chris Mark

From: artkramr@a

Ya mean all you gotta do is get hit by fighters and you get a SIlver Star???
Where the hell is mine?

As luck would have it, the B-26 LBJ was on aborted before reaching the target
and being engaged by Zeros. So the citation for the SS is misleading. It's not
the only such citation that is not entirely accurate.
Johnson had joined Lt. Col. Francis Stevens and Col. Samuel Anderson, both on
George C. Marshall's staff and sent by him to review the situation in New
Guinea. The B-26 Stevens was on was shot down and all aboard killed. Anderson
made it back and reported to MacArthur personally, accompanied by Johnson.
MacA awarded both men Silver Stars and awarded Stevens the DSC posthumously.
Objectively, I suppose none of the men deserved medals. Apparently none of the
B-26 crew members received medals for the mission.
Interestingly, in Harold Ickes diary, he writes of this episode that MacArthur
offered Johnson the medal but that Johnson declined. Only some time later did
Johnson receive the citation and medal in the mail. Of course, throughout his
career Johnson never missed an opportunity to wear the Silver Star pin in his
lapel.

Chris Mark
Old July 25th 03, 02:07 AM
M Power

Your inability to correctly spell your own first name is noted as
well. Secondly, whether or not Lord Louis Mountbatten was killed in a
boating accident or not has nothing to do with PFC Lynch. Therefore,
no substantive response is needed.

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message ...
"M Power" wrote in message
om...

"M Power" wrote in message
om...
You're comparing apples to oranges. She got into a auto accident.

So you presumably think Lord Louis Mountbatten was killed
in a boating accident ?

Keith

Please put down the crack-pipe and speak sensibly. Thank you.

Your inability to post a substantive response is noted.

Keth

Old July 25th 03, 04:28 AM
Kevin Brooks

(M Power) wrote in message . com...
(Kevin Brooks) wrote in message . com...
(M Power) wrote in message . com...
You're comparing apples to oranges. She got into a auto accident.

She wasn't driving, and the accident occured during an ambush (hardly
your run-of-the-mill fender bender).

Who cares who was driving? She was in an accident, just as I said.

Then you are wrong. It happened during an active ambush, with their
vehicle smack dab in the KZ. You call that an *accident*? If so, what
do you call the shooting of all of those "sniper" victims we endured
last year in the DC/NVa area, "accidental weapons discharges"?

She wasn't parachuting into a hostile zone and saving a downed pilot.

Those kind of activities usually garner more than a BS.

No,they typically do not. Once in a great while they garner a SS, but
only if they kill a few bad-guys first.

Name an incident where a PJ jumped into a hostile DZ, rescued a pilot,
and got only a BS. Methinks you can't do so....

That's a horrible comparison. Soldiers should not get Bronze Stars
for wrecking their vehicles.

She didn't.

Yes, she did.

She did not wreck their vehicle, now did she?

She got a Purple heart for being injured. She got a
POW medal for being a POW. She didn't do anything else except survive
an auto accident and get a case of amnesia. Therefore, she must be
getting her BS for the latter events. Or, she might be getting it
simply because it's bad politics as I said before, but that *couldn't"
be the reason. They would never hand out an award for reasons as bad
as that sigh of sarcasm.

Read up on the criteria for the BS *without* V device, and then peruse
the history in terms of the number of BS's awarded during recent
conflicts...after you have done that, come back and tell us how her
conduct under the circumstances she found herself in did not measure
up to the lofty standards that all of those staff pogues, etc.,
exhibited in getting *their* BS's without V's.

There needs to be more to it than that.

There was.

No, there was not.

I am sure you are ready to tell us how you can so definitely state
that? Been captured after surviving an ambush lately?

She was a POW and she was injured in war, therefore the POW Medal and
Purple Heart are deserved, but not the BS. Why is that so hard to
understand?

Because you are not making sense? She got the BS without a V (at least
that is the way it reads in the DoD press release); hundreds, if not
thousands, of other folks will also get the BS w/o V for even more
mundane activities. The BS without V is merely an award for
meritorious service not involving personal heroism during a period of
combat operations. It is really that simple.

You are the one that is not making sense. In the Bosnia/Kosovo
campaign, only 204 Army BS were handed out. Out of those, only 25
enlisted Army soldiers recieved one. The lowest rank being an E-8.

Whoopie. So, are you now saying she did not deserve it because she was
not of a high enough grade? And what were those BS's awarded for?
Meritorious service, right? Usually with no involvement in ambushes,
injury, becoming a POW, acquiting oneself honorably under those
conditions, etc.?

They only recieved these for holding extremely high levels of
responsibility,

Bull poopie. The entire staff of my former BN (minus one single
individual) got the BS during ODS. I don't claim they did not deserve
that award (without V's), but the fact of the matter is that this was
a *theater level* engineer unit staff that spent the entire war in
Saudi Arabia. Folks in that unit as low as E-7 also received it, and
not one of them either faced an ambush or served a a PW.

or for saving someone's life. Jessica Lynch did none
of these thngs.

The latter would normally garner a "V", which she did not get. As to
meritorious service, your definition may vary with mileage, but the
fact of the matter is that a bunch of them have been awarded for more
mundane activities, and will be for the current operation--you can bet
on it.

She got a BS for purely political reasons.

How do you *know* that?

She
doesn't deserve to wear it,

Pardon me if I don't accept your whining as definitive proof of that.

and the BS has been watered down even more
by her receiving it. Yep, as you've said, it really is that simple.

Then why can't you seem to *get* it? 'Nuff said. been fun, and the
plain fact is that tomorrow when we awaken Jessica will still have her
BS, and there is not a thing you can do about it (which given your
poor understanding of what the award really conotates is probably a
good thing....)

Brooks

Brooks

(B2431) wrote in message ...

Jessica Lynch did *nothing* to deserve her Bronze Star. She was
injured in a auto accident, and never fired a single round. She
deserves a Purple Heart and POW medal of course, but not a Bronze
Star, especially with a Combat "V". I have a Combat "V", and I had to
do a lot more than wreck my vehicle to get it. No, PFC Lynch didn't
do anything deserving of the BS at all. This is simple politics at
it's worst.

And just how many combat medics would you want to take combat awards away from
simply because they never fired a shot?

I will say, however, the media pay too much attention to her just as they did
with Scott Grady.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

Old July 25th 03, 07:31 AM
Keith Willshaw

"M Power" wrote in message
om...
Your inability to correctly spell your own first name is noted as
well. Secondly, whether or not Lord Louis Mountbatten was killed in a
boating accident or not has nothing to do with PFC Lynch. Therefore,
no substantive response is needed.

A spelling (actually typing) flame - how original

So tell me oh mighty intelligence if the IRA opened fire
on traffic on a road you were driving down, killing the driver
in front and causing you to hurt yourself in the ensuing melee
would you describe the cause of your injuries as

1) A terrorist attack ?

2) A routine traffic accident ?

Keith