Help change GAS prices

Old May 17th 04, 11:24 PM
Vaughn

"Jay" wrote in message
om...
"Running at capacity" is just a b_llsh_t excuse for increasing
profits.

I don't really know about the refineries, but you don't have to be a genius
to look at the huge monstrosities that clog our roads and figure out that THERE
is at least part of the problem. My Honda Civic takes me everywhere I need to
go in comfort, and probably is burning half the gas of the vehicle in the next
lane. If you really want to show the greedy *******s a thing or two, figure out
how to burn less gas.

Old May 17th 04, 11:48 PM
Rich S.

"Vaughn" wrote in message

"Jay" wrote in message
om...
"Running at capacity" is just a b_llsh_t excuse for increasing
profits.

I don't really know about the refineries, but you don't have to be a

genius
to look at the huge monstrosities that clog our roads and figure out that

THERE
is at least part of the problem. My Honda Civic takes me everywhere I

need to
go in comfort, and probably is burning half the gas of the vehicle in the

next
lane. If you really want to show the greedy *******s a thing or two,

figure out
how to burn less gas.

Lessee........ we're runing out of oil, trees, water, air, food and
waterfront property. Pull your heads out of the sand and quit breeding like
lemmings. Spaceship Earth only holds so many passengers. Devote every spare
dollar towards annexing more real estate. Mars is just a step.

Oh, sorry. Just fantacizing. Rutan is to blame.

Rich S.

Old May 18th 04, 02:59 AM
Blueskies

Lets get everyone to stay home May 19. Sounds interesting...

--
Dan D.
http://www.ameritech.net/users/ddevillers/start.html

..
"Veeduber" wrote in message ...
Worth a try.

Dear Richard (and the Group),

The only message a one day deferral of gas-buying would send is that the
American public is as dumb as a stump.

If you want your message to appear in the bottom line of a corporation you must
boycot their product, as gun owners did with Smith & Wesson. To simply defer
your purchase is the sort of meaningless feel-good bull**** they feed to
college kids to keep them from burning down the school.

As a point of historical interest there has been at least a dozen such idiot
plans to "send a message" to the oil companies, dating back to the Arab oil
embargo following the 1973 'Yom Kipper' war. It doesn't take a rocket
scientist to see how ineffective they have been.

Want to send a REAL message?

Imagine what would happen if EVERYONE in the nation stayed home for a day.
Don't go ANYWHERE. Don't buy ANYTHING. Don't even turn on the TV. Freeways
completely empty of vehicles. Public buildings with their doors locked and
parking lots empty. Sporting events not being played in an empty, echoing
stadium.

Never happen of course, for the simple reason that such an expression of your
individual freedom just happens to be illegal for most of us 'free' citizens of
the United States of America.

Better to play it safe. So go ahead and defer your purchase of gas for a day.
Or fill up the day before. Really show those oil companies who's the boss.
Yeah... that should do it.

-R.S.Hoover

Old May 18th 04, 03:56 PM
tongaloa

Build a refinery!
Find some oil!
Make some $!

How?

Well I'm looking for work (sold business, relocated).
I have board level managerial experience, oil industry experience,
geophysics degree and exploration experience. My ChE uncle built
refineries for ARAMCO for 30 years, is bored with retirement, and
ready to work.

If there is all this obscene profit, as proposed, then it makes sense
to get into the business. Am I right?

Will need serious players to finance...

Are any of you bitchin turkeys serious enough to put up some bucks and
put together a company? Go look at free edgar for some financials on the
competition. If you still think you can play, write.

Old May 18th 04, 07:47 PM
Daniel

Bob Olds wrote ...
If everyone in the U.S. will NOT buy gasoline on MAY 19 , Then we
will hit the oil companies in the bottom line (Profit). It is
estimated that this would cost them in the millions.
I WON'T buy gas on May 19.

Thank you for redefining the fundamentals of both economics and human
behavior. Your Nobel prize will be mailed to you.

Given the draconian effect that your boycott will have, we can expect
gasoline prices to fall to just pennies per gallon by midday.
Refineries, storage facilities & delivery stations should also fall to
scrap value. My plan (and that of thousands of others) is to buy up
all such surplus fuel & facilities using the change under the sofa
cushions. We'll see you Thursday morning at the pumps.

Daniel
Old May 19th 04, 04:46 AM
C J Campbell

"Bob Olds" wrote in message
m...
If everyone in the U.S. will NOT buy gasoline on MAY 19 , Then we
will hit the oil companies in the bottom line (Profit). It is
estimated that this would cost them in the millions.
I WON'T buy gas on May 19.

And this will cost the oil companies money how? The gas out will not
inconvenience them in the slightest. Now, if everyone just stopped buying
gas, period, that might mean something.

Old May 19th 04, 05:40 AM
Richard Lamb

C J Campbell wrote:

"Bob Olds" wrote in message
m...
If everyone in the U.S. will NOT buy gasoline on MAY 19 , Then we
will hit the oil companies in the bottom line (Profit). It is
estimated that this would cost them in the millions.
I WON'T buy gas on May 19.

And this will cost the oil companies money how? The gas out will not
inconvenience them in the slightest. Now, if everyone just stopped buying
gas, period, that might mean something.

It's not about costing them money, guys.

As has been pointed out (to death) we will all burn just as much gas
as we would have, regardless of when it was purchased.

The point of civil disobeadence is to make a point.

To say something.

Usually to someone who is not listening.

Richard
Old May 19th 04, 06:21 AM
C J Campbell

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message
C J Campbell wrote:

"Bob Olds" wrote in message
m...
If everyone in the U.S. will NOT buy gasoline on MAY 19 , Then we
will hit the oil companies in the bottom line (Profit). It is
estimated that this would cost them in the millions.
I WON'T buy gas on May 19.

And this will cost the oil companies money how? The gas out will not
inconvenience them in the slightest. Now, if everyone just stopped

buying
gas, period, that might mean something.

It's not about costing them money, guys.

It isn't? I thought hitting "the oil companies in the bottom line (Profit)"
was about costing them money. Silly me.

Old May 19th 04, 02:35 PM
Dude

Incredibly intelligent post. Unfortunately, you underestimate the level of
emotion with the big oil haters. They think that they could not possibly
get into the energy business, likely due to a conspiracy.

Gasoline is really running only $1.40 per gallon except for taxes and maybe
higher transport costs or local mandates that add refining costs (if your
state mandates refining processes or has managed to keep the refineries out
of everyone's backyard, then you are paying more). There is no one to blame
except for environmentalists and shieks, and even they are not doing so much
damage that the stuff is not cheaper than bottled water.

Otherwise, any bank in town would loan you the money to open an oil or gas
company. Unless they are in a conspiracy with big oil?

BTW there is plenty of oil and natural gas available in the US. The good
peoples of California and Florida have decided their beach views are more
important than the rest of our pocketbooks. The folks in the lower 48 have
prevented use of much of Alaskan reserves, and the nice people of Colorado
and some of their neighbors are sitting on the natural gas we need.

This will only change when no one can afford to drive to see the sites that
we are supposedly preserving for them and their grand children. When the
tourist industry is wiped out due to high fuel prices, they will stop
backing the environmental lobbies. That is when the change will occur.

Old May 19th 04, 02:44 PM
Dude

Jay,

Do you have any research showing that fuel taxes are not supporting the
costs of roads? I remember a story on television about the transportation
fund being held in surplus to help balance the budget or something.

I have always toyed with the gas tax idea, it makes a lot of sense in many
ways. The only problem is that it is a drain on the economy in several bad
ways, and I can't get my arms around what the unintended consequences might
be.

One of them would likely be higher taxes to build more public transportation
unless much of the fuel tax is earmarked for that. More public
transportation would mean an increase in corruption in government as the
extra control over where people go and how is just too yummy for those
folks.

"Jay" wrote in message
om...
Roger Halstead wrote in message
The problem is the refineries are running at capacity trying to meet a
record demand and until we, in general "conserve", the demand will
keep the price up there.

"Running at capacity" is just a b_llsh_t excuse for increasing
profits. They fear (rightly so) that people would get ****ed off if
they realized the gas companies largely control the market and set
whatever price they damn well please. If they ask for too much,
people will modify (in the long run) their consumption, if they ask
for too little, they've left money on the table.

With the amount of money that is at stake, do you think that for a
minute that the agrigate gasoline use of 10's of millions of people
would be so hard to predict that they would actually be caught off
guard (as opposed to intentionally having a shortage) by days getting
longer in the summer? Its been summer before, last year as I
remember, and I'm not even an high paid analyst.

If you really want to send a message to those crooks, support a
gasoline tax (in leiu of general obligation bonds and other taxes)
that fully supports the cost of people driving motor vehicles. This
includes road contruction, maintanence, highway patrol, uninsured
motorists going to the hospital, polution, alternative fuel
development, etc.

Its very simple, use more, pay more. Its crazy to subsidize the
consumption of road fuels with other taxes. Also its hard to jack up
prices when the actual costs of driving are being paid at the pump.
It will give people an incentive to conserve. You'll pay more at the
pump but less on April 15th. How well you make out will depend on how
much fuel you use.

V-8 powered Seabee Corky Scott Home Built 212 October 2nd 04 11:45 PM
Pitot tube prices B2431 Home Built 2 May 16th 04 08:13 PM
Time to change the air in your tires Rich S. Home Built 18 March 22nd 04 06:47 PM
Follow up Alright, All You Dashing, Swaggering Bush Pilots wmbjk Home Built 135 September 8th 03 06:09 AM
Change in TAS with constant Power and increasing altitude. Big John Home Built 6 July 13th 03 03:29 PM