ScaryLittleAirplanes.org

Old September 1st 05, 11:31 PM
Rob Montgomery

Default ScaryLittleAirplanes.org

First, I'm really conflicted about doing this (it is shameless
promotion), but it is aviation related.

It's obvious to most pilots that most of the post-Sept. 11 restrictions
are, at best, foolish and ineffective, and some of them are downright
dangerous. Unfortunately, most people don't know how to fight back.

As a result of a few discussions over at forums.aopa.org, a few of us
have cooperated in putting together a website dedicated to giving
people the tools to fight back. This includes:

1. Up to date news on GA security issues.
2. A website with information about light GA and GA security.
3. Issue briefs on some of the "hot" issues.
4. A "fact file" of talking points which you can use as reference when
writing letters or talking to people.
5. Contact information (still to come) for decision makers (so you know
where to send your letters.
6. A discussion forum to discuss security related issues, and to give
people the option of having their letters "peer reviewed" before their
sent (really helpful if you have doubts about your writing ability.)
7. A CafePress shop where you can buy shirts, bumper stickers, license
plate frames, etc. to advertise your support for the cause. (We don't
mark up the prices, so you just pay the CafePress fees...).

While we haven't been indexed by any search engines yet, the doors are
open, and we're looking for volunteers who can manage issues, write
news, copy edit, etc. (I'm paying for the website, but I can't afford
to hire anybody :-)).

Comments and criticisms are also eagerly anticipated! (As are
suggestions on how to promote the site.)

Thanks,

-Rob

Old September 2nd 05, 01:09 AM
Larry Dighera

On 1 Sep 2005 15:31:56 -0700, "Rob Montgomery"
wrote in
.com::

As a result of a few discussions over at forums.aopa.org, a few of us
have cooperated in putting together a website dedicated to giving
people the tools to fight back.

You sure have. Well done! And thanks for creating a very
professional appearing web site:

http://www.scarylittleairplanes.org/

More after I've had a chance to look at it some more.
Old September 2nd 05, 02:48 AM
Montblack

("Larry Dighera" wrote)
[snip]
You sure have. Well done! And thanks for creating a very
professional appearing web site:

http://www.scarylittleairplanes.org/

Bookmarked/ Favorites

Montblack
Old September 2nd 05, 06:16 AM
Michael 182

Wll done! What can we do to help?

Michael

Old September 2nd 05, 12:32 PM
Denny

You are doing everything right except the name... I will think about
what I can do to contribute...

denny

Old September 2nd 05, 03:57 PM
Rob Montgomery

I really appreciate the positive feedback.

Michael,

There are a few things that you can do to help (some easy and some
hard):

- Write letters and visit politicians.
- Join the Forum and help seed it.
- Tell all your friends.
- Link to the site (if you have a site).
- Copy Edit (I don't do that very well)
- Write News.
- Manage Issues.
- Populate the "Fact Files".

Any assistance is helpful. (For the last three, I'll need to grant
people access)

Denny,

What's wrong with the name *sniff*? Actually, I was trying to pick a
name that didn't really telegraph which side of the issue I'm on.
Taking the name in a serious or humorous sense completely inverts the
meaning. Besides, how can anyone be afraid of X when you talk about
"Scary Little X's"?

Thanks!

-Rob
http://www.scarylittleairplanes.org

Old September 2nd 05, 04:46 PM
George Patterson

Denny wrote:
You are doing everything right except the name... I will think about
what I can do to contribute...

Personally, I think the name is fine. If he uses a name that sounds like it's
supportive of small planes, all visitors will tend to be people like us. He'll
be preaching to the choir. This name might attract surfers who are ambivalent or
even hostile to GA. Who knows? A few of them might change their views.

George Patterson
Old September 2nd 05, 11:03 PM
Seth Masia

This is doable and should be done by Civil Air Patrol or Coast Guard
Auxiliary a/c, who will be cleared into the TFR by the appropriate folks.
As a CAP pilot I flew searches in restricted airspace at Air Force request.

If CAP hasn't been activated, it's a crime.

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Larry Dighera" wrote)
[snip]