Yellow tags

Old February 20th 04, 03:07 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Gene Kearns wrote:

It really is a good idea.... maybe not for all the right reasons. The
average buyer is not going to comb the logs with a fine tooth comb
and/or have a professional idea of what they are looking at anyway,

Well, *every* prospective buyer that looked at my Cessna 150 read every page
of the logbooks. Since it had over 6,000 hours on the airframe, this took quite
some time. I'm sure that none of them had a "professional" idea of the entries,
but most sure knew what they were looking for.

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.
Old February 20th 04, 06:06 PM
Grandpa B.

Hell, I was selling a J5 as an experimental, and one tirekicker spent an
hour and a half poring over the logs - for an aircraft that was listed with
the feds as having been scrapped! There were only a handful of original J5
parts left; the rest was either amateur-built or missing.

Jon B.

Old February 20th 04, 11:38 PM
Dave Stadt

"Grandpa B." never.mind wrote in message
Hell, I was selling a J5 as an experimental, and one tirekicker spent an
hour and a half poring over the logs - for an aircraft that was listed

with
the feds as having been scrapped! There were only a handful of original J5
parts left; the rest was either amateur-built or missing.

Jon B.

I bet he hardly looked at the airplane.

Old February 21st 04, 01:23 AM
JDupre5762

"Grandpa B." never.mind wrote in message
Hell, I was selling a J5 as an experimental, and one tirekicker spent an
hour and a half poring over the logs - for an aircraft that was listed

with
the feds as having been scrapped! There were only a handful of original J5
parts left; the rest was either amateur-built or missing.

Jon B.

I bet he hardly looked at the airplane.

Not quite on the same topic. But I can usually tell how good an airplane will
be just by looking at the logs. Clear and concise log book entries that include
part and serial numbers for components installed and actually describe what was
accomplished to complete a repair or inspection plus a comprehensive list of
ADs tell me that an airplane was well maintained by someone who knew what he
was doing. Page after page of just "Annual complied with" with no account of
servicing or parts replacements or repairs or ADs complied with tells me that
the airplane will require a lot of work due to neglect. Then I look at the
airplane. It never fails, a few hours spent in the logs will tell me as much
as a visual inspection. One clue is tabulating total time. It is amazing how
many people just trust the math of the last guy to sign off the logbooks.
Probably every 5th new customer aircraft I look at has serious problems with
total time records. Usually someone has replaced the hobbs meter or recording
tach and the next guy doesn't bother to do the math. I will figure out what
the correction factor is and make a note of it right on the cover of the
logbook.

John Dupre'

Overall yellow Fw-190A-6 ??? Vicente Vazquez Military Aviation 5 April 20th 04 12:05 AM
Yellow, yellow. Fil330 Owning 1 November 2nd 03 03:13 PM
blue foam, pink foam, yellow foam? Corrie Home Built 26 September 1st 03 05:01 PM