Do you flight plan?

Old December 11th 03, 08:10 PM
Blanche

I've sent comments and such to AOPA and have received no response either.

Guess all they want is my money.

Old December 11th 03, 08:40 PM
Jay Honeck

I've sent comments and such to AOPA and have received no response either.

Guess all they want is my money.

No, really? ;-)

Shoot, we've even tried to offer them discounts for their members that stay
at our inn -- no strings attached -- and they won't even respond to THAT!

AOPA is a complete mystery to me.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 11th 03, 10:04 PM
Royce Brown

TTA Cherokee Driver writes:
Nasir wrote:

How much do you all plan before each x-country? Am I the only slacker?

Thanks to the AOPA's new flight planner, I now flight plan a lot more
than I used to. Give it a try, it's easy and very well done.

Where is this on the website? Hmmm.

I have seen the website where you pay $100 per year to flightplan but I
wouldnt use it enough to pay that much.

Old December 11th 03, 11:10 PM
Kyler Laird

ospam (Rosspilot) writes:

For a good example of what can go wrong if you don't
take winds aloft into account properly, see the following link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3306443.stm

That really sux. I can't believe they wouldn't SELL the pilot fuel . . . what
assholes.

Yeah, what kind of people are these who refuse to encourage pilots
to do dumb things? They're probably the same party-poopers who
won't let their friends drive home drunk.

--kyler
Old December 11th 03, 11:26 PM
Rosspilot

For a good example of what can go wrong if you don't
take winds aloft into account properly, see the following link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3306443.stm

That really sux. I can't believe they wouldn't SELL the pilot fuel . . .

what
assholes.

Yeah, what kind of people are these who refuse to encourage pilots
to do dumb things? They're probably the same party-poopers who
won't let their friends drive home drunk.

Kyler . . . every pilot has done dumb things. This guy had flown that plane
around the world 3 times. How does that equate to trying to drive home drunk?

www.Rosspilot.com

Old December 12th 03, 12:03 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Rosspilot wrote:

For a good example of what can go wrong if you don't
take winds aloft into account properly, see the following link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3306443.stm

That really sux. I can't believe they wouldn't SELL the pilot fuel . . . what
assholes.

They don't have any to spare. See
http://www.eaa.org/communications/ea..._johanson.html

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".
Old December 12th 03, 01:15 AM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Shoot, we've even tried to offer them discounts for their members that

stay
at our inn -- no strings attached -- and they won't even respond to THAT!

Why do you need AOPA's permission? Obviously, you can't *advertise* using
their name or logo without their permission. But nothing stops you from
offering a discount to AOPA members.

Old December 12th 03, 02:28 AM
Jay Honeck

Shoot, we've even tried to offer them discounts for their members that
stay
at our inn -- no strings attached -- and they won't even respond to

THAT!

Why do you need AOPA's permission? Obviously, you can't *advertise* using
their name or logo without their permission. But nothing stops you from
offering a discount to AOPA members.

We do. And EAA'ers, too. And anyone who knows our "N" number! :-)

Which is beside the point. Bottom line: AOPA couldn't care less what we do
for their membership. They're not in it for them.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 12th 03, 11:24 AM
Neil Gould

Recently, Jay Honeck posted:

Shoot, we've even tried to offer them discounts for their members
that stay at our inn -- no strings attached -- and they won't even
respond to THAT!

Why do you need AOPA's permission? Obviously, you can't *advertise*
using their name or logo without their permission. But nothing
stops you from offering a discount to AOPA members.

We do. And EAA'ers, too. And anyone who knows our "N" number! :-)

Which is beside the point. Bottom line: AOPA couldn't care less what
we do for their membership. They're not in it for them.

That's a rather strong statement, Jay. The member benefits are many, as
far as I can tell (I've only been a member since 2000). But, they aren't
"all inclusive". Is there some other organization that is effectively
advocating for GA on a national level? Is there no benefit to the free
on-line services, such as DUATs and Jeppesen plates, or receiving local
notice of TFRs by e-mail that members receive?

To look at it another way, why would AOPA care one way or another whether
you offer discounts to their members? If you were talking to a commercial
operation, like Sporty's, I'd expect a response, because you are
co-marketing and offering an in-kind value that may attract customers to
both businesses, much like the credit card companies that offer kick-backs
for purchases made at Sporty's. But, you may even be too "local" to be of
interest in that example, as well.

I think that if I were coming to stay at your Inn, I'd much rather know
your N number, anyway! ;-)

Neil

Old December 12th 03, 01:10 PM
Kyler Laird

ospam (Rosspilot) writes:

For a good example of what can go wrong if you don't
take winds aloft into account properly, see the following link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3306443.stm

That really sux. I can't believe they wouldn't SELL the pilot fuel . . .

what
assholes.

Yeah, what kind of people are these who refuse to encourage pilots
to do dumb things? They're probably the same party-poopers who
won't let their friends drive home drunk.

Kyler . . . every pilot has done dumb things.

That's an astute observation. Thank you for sharing it.

This guy had flown that plane
around the world 3 times.

...so he should have had a clue of what procedures to follow and what
risks are involved.

How does that equate to trying to drive home drunk?

Read the article you quoted and let me know when you get to this
part.
"He appears to have gone in there without a search and
rescue plan and without a contingency plan if things go
wrong, and he's expecting the New Zealand and United
States Governments to pick up and be his contingency,"
Mr Sanson added.

He didn't have a good plan for dealing with headwinds. He got
bitten. Now you want people to encourage this behavior so that
other pilots are more likely to do the same? And you really don't
see how poor fuel management in a plane equates to driving drunk?
(Hints: both kill, both can be readily avoided.)

Yes, I realize that there are US citizens who always expect to be
bailed out when they fail to plan ahead. I'm not one of them. (I
just work in California. I live in Indiana.)

--kyler