Annoying Habbits?

Old July 1st 04, 04:26 PM
Shawn Curry

Michael wrote:

"tango4" wrote

Fond? How many people did this prick drive out of the sport?

That's what you'd expect from someone who needs drugs to control their
emotions I suppose. If you need this kind of crutch I suggest you ground
yourself. Aviation is not for you.

No, aviation is not for him. Aviation is only for the strong. The
ones who don't mind being whacked on the head with things, and accept
it as just a normal part of instruction. The ones who don't go in for
this newfangled psychiatry crap, and deal with their problems the
old-fashioned way - drinking and womanizing. Aviation is only for the
real men.

Michael

LOL
Old July 1st 04, 07:36 PM
Mike Lindsay

In article , Michael
No, aviation is not for him. Aviation is only for the strong. The
ones who don't mind being whacked on the head with things, and accept
it as just a normal part of instruction. The ones who don't go in for
this newfangled psychiatry crap, and deal with their problems the
old-fashioned way - drinking and womanizing. Aviation is only for the
real men.

Michael

That's an interesting viewpoint. Many years ago Mike Bird's wife pointed
out that gliding seemed to be a substitute for SEX. No, he replied, sex
is a substitute for gliding.

But WTHDIK.
--
Mike Lindsay
Old July 1st 04, 08:04 PM
Bruce Greeff

Shawn Curry wrote:
tango4 wrote:

One of my first instructors would whistle and hum to himself if you were
doing well. When the whistling stopped, look out, the next thing was
usually
him stretching forward to beat you around the ears with his hat.

In answer to his heavily German accented 'where are your wings?', usually
meant to inquire about the diversion of the string from the straight back
position, I once replied 'well there's one there and one there' nodding
first left then right. At that point I think he unscrewed the stick
from the
rear seat of the bergfalke and hit me with that because it certainly
wasn't
a cap that he hit me with! I reckon that smart alec comment delayed my
solo
by months!

Fond memories!

Fond? How many people did this prick drive out of the sport? If he did
this to me he'd have a black eye before he got off the runway. If my
kid were flying with someone who behaved this way, I would end his
flying career in an instant.
Where's my Ativan, gotta calm down.

Shawn

This chap introduced me to gliding 22 years ago. One of the gentlest and nicest
people you could hope to meet.
An excellent if slightly eccentric teacher, he taught generations to fly long
white wings - for next to nothing but the joy of it. The only thing that
reliably got a student a lecture, was a lax attitude - particularly to safety.
Over all he brought many into the sport, I don't know of any he drove away. I do
know many who hold him in the highest respect.

I wonder how many scare themselves witless, or kill themselves being sloppy
because their instruction did not include some robust criticism. Or even the
occasional good natured slap with a gliding hat - hardly a weapon of mass
destruction
Old July 1st 04, 09:24 PM
Shawn Curry

Bruce Greeff wrote:

This chap introduced me to gliding 22 years ago. One of the gentlest and
nicest people you could hope to meet.
An excellent if slightly eccentric teacher, he taught generations to fly
long white wings - for next to nothing but the joy of it. The only thing
that reliably got a student a lecture, was a lax attitude - particularly
to safety.
Over all he brought many into the sport, I don't know of any he drove
away. I do know many who hold him in the highest respect.

I wonder how many scare themselves witless, or kill themselves being
sloppy because their instruction did not include some robust criticism.
Or even the occasional good natured slap with a gliding hat - hardly a
weapon of mass destruction

Sounds like a difference in perspective between you Ian and myself. I
think we can all live with that.
I really do understand the difference between your "...Or even the
occasional good natured slap with a gliding hat" I've probably gotten
one or two of those (no harm done), and Ian's "...beat you around the
ears with his hat" and perhaps something harder.
The former gets your attention, the latter sounds abusive and counter
productive.
I'm all for robust criticism BTW, but it can be "Look if you continue to
do xyz you'll kill yourself one day." Not "You stupid *^@@#$%^^%$#
you're an embarrassment to aviation." :-)

Shawn
Old July 2nd 04, 04:48 AM
tango4

Same bloke. Thank you Bruce!

Ian

Old July 2nd 04, 03:05 PM
Malcolm Austin

Heard on our gliding field some time last year:

"Well dear, that d*m white thing gets me up quicker and keeps me up longer
than some other things I could care to mention"

I'm not sure how you could answer back on that one, and if he's got teeth
and if he's still married !!

Malcolm...

In article , Michael

Old July 2nd 04, 06:39 PM
Michael

Mike Lindsay wrote
That's an interesting viewpoint.

Um, that wasn't a viewpoint. It was a joke. I'm guessing US humor
(sic) doesn't play well in the UK.

In case there is any doubt here - I wasn't actually serious. I don't
think there's anything wrong with taking prescription psychiatric
drugs - sometimes they actually work, and 'toughing out' an imbalance
in brain chemistry is about as sensible as 'toughing out' an imbalance
in blood chemistry. Only difference is that we've got a better handle
on blood disorders than we do brain disorders, so the drugs work
better and more consistently.

I also don't care for flight instruction that includes shouting,
belittling the student, and certainly physical assault is never
acceptable. This is not a generational thing, either - it's pure
(bad) personality. The best instructors I ever flew with (including
the one who signed me off for my private glider ride) were well past
sixty, had military backgrounds - and never, ever raised their voices
in the cockpit. There is simply no reason to do it. As an instructor
myself, I strive to emulate them,

On the other hand, I also flew with an instructor who thought nothing
of raising his voice in the cockpit, belittling the student, and even
using his soaring hat to 'get the student's attention.' He didn't
drive me away from soaring, but I know at least one person that he DID
drive away from soaring. He taught me something important about
instructing as well - what NOT to do.

Michael