Jackass, NV Airport U75

Old July 21st 04, 08:41 AM
Gerald Sylvester

Default Jackass, NV Airport U75

I am going to be flying from the Bay Area to Las Vegas next week in an
Archer. I've been looking for a place a little more interesting to take
a short break other than Modesto or Fresno grin. I was thinking about
stopping off to fuel up at Jackass, NV U75. It is an unpaved runway.
Any PIREPS on the condition of it? Any FBO's to pick up a shirt
commemorating landing at such a lovely named village/airport?

As for routes, depending on winds, I might go over the Sierra (FRA
to MMH and then south along the 395) or go further south where winds
and altitude aren't as big a factor. As for other places, I'm
thinking about MMH, BIH (photo gallery of Galen Rowell whose wife
wrote a GREAT book about flying just before they died in an accident
in august or september of 2002 at BIH).

Thanks in advance
Gerald Sylvester
PPL-ASEL 12/17/03
Old July 21st 04, 09:37 AM
Marty Shapiro

Gerald Sylvester wrote in
link.net:

[...]

I just did this trip for the July 4 weekend.

I flew over U75 on my way back. There is nothing there but an airstrip,
some hangars, and tie downs. According to both AirNav and the Pilots Guide
to Southwest Airports, there is no fuel nor FBO at U75. Having driven
through Death Valley years ago, I do remember that U75 is adjacent to
Lathrop Wells on Highway 95, and there is a small general store, gas
station, and brothel there.

If you want an interesting place to pick up a tee shirt, go to the Lida
Junction airport at Goldfield, NV (0L4). According to AirNav, they now
have fuel, but it is expensive - $4.00 per gallon as of 2/4/2004. The only
business at 0L4 is the Cotton Tail Ranch Club. AirNav has a pointer to
their web pages.

I used a southern route on my way from RHV to VGT (North Las Vegas). I
stopped in Porterville (PTV) for fuel ($2.73/gallon on 7/1) and then, when
Joshua Approach could not clear me through the Edwards restricted areas, I
went via Palmdale, Dagget, Hector and into Las Vegas.

Coming back, I did some sight-seeing on the northern route. I basically
followed Highway 95 from VGT to Yerington, NV (O43) where fuel was $2.40
per gallon on 7/8. From O43, I headed west over Minden, NV and Lake Tahoe
and then south back to RHV.

While in Las Vegas, I did one sight seeing flight over Death Valley and
landed at Furnace Creek (L06 and -210 MSL) on July 3. Fuel is available at
L06, but AirNav reported it was $3.20/gallon on 5/23. The Furnace Creek
Ranch is near and you can get interesting tee shirts there. However,
expect it to be very, very hot. My OAT guage only goes to 40C and was way
off scale when I landed there around 4 PM on 7/3. I estimate the
temperature was between 50 and 55C.

Fuel at VGT on July 8 was $2.69 self serve and $2.89 from the truck.
AirNav is now reporting it is 8 cents/gallon higher.

----------
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old July 22nd 04, 04:47 AM
BTIZ

I was told in early June by one of the pilots who kept his airplane at
Jackass, that the BLM was going to close "X" the runway.

It is a Bureau of Land Management Runway, and they had increased the lease
cost to over $100,000 per year, from around $150 the previous year. The 6
pilots based there could not afford the lease anymore, so the BLM was going
to close it.

There are no commercial fuel services available unless you are doing the
autogas thing and want to haul it a couple of miles.

The nearest fuel might be Stove Pipe Wells, or Furnace Creek in Death
Valley, there is no Fuel services at Beatty.

BT

link.net...

Old July 22nd 04, 05:12 AM
Don Tuite

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:47:55 -0700, "BTIZ"
wrote:

I was told in early June by one of the pilots who kept his airplane at
Jackass, that the BLM was going to close "X" the runway.

It is a Bureau of Land Management Runway, and they had increased the lease
cost to over $100,000 per year, from around $150 the previous year. The 6
pilots based there could not afford the lease anymore, so the BLM was going
to close it.

There are no commercial fuel services available unless you are doing the
autogas thing and want to haul it a couple of miles.

The nearest fuel might be Stove Pipe Wells, or Furnace Creek in Death
Valley, there is no Fuel services at Beatty.

A long time ago, there was a chevron station adjacent to Shoshone that
had 55-gallong drums of avgas. Dunno if that's still that case. (A
long time ago was 1973.) As far as I know there was not and still is
no gas at stovepipe wells or furnace creek; the closest gas being at
Bishop.

Don
Old July 22nd 04, 01:59 PM
Tony Cox

"Don Tuite" wrote in message

A long time ago, there was a chevron station adjacent to Shoshone that
had 55-gallong drums of avgas. Dunno if that's still that case. (A
long time ago was 1973.) As far as I know there was not and still is
no gas at stovepipe wells or furnace creek; the closest gas being at
Bishop.

There's no avgas at Shoshone now. Just that tiny strip and
parking for about 3 planes. There is, however, gas at
Furnace Creek - ask at the gas station on the walk into
town.