Annoying Habbits?

Old June 28th 04, 12:59 AM
Slick

Default Annoying Habbits?

Any of you have annoying habits when you start to get nervous about your
flight? I swallow hard and lick my lips a lot when I start to get low and
un-sure of where the next thermal is. Anyone else do anything like this?

Old June 28th 04, 05:05 AM
Nick Gilbert

I tend to say things like 'gosh darn it' & 'poo'

Nick.

Old June 29th 04, 12:00 AM
Nyal Williams

You guys have hold of the wrong muscle groups; most
of us engage the sphincters.

'Slick' wrote in message
Any of you have annoying habits when you start to
get nervous about your
flight? I swallow hard and lick my lips a lot when
I start to get low and
un-sure of where the next thermal is. Anyone else
do anything like this?

News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service
in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!
=-----

Old June 30th 04, 03:53 AM
Raymond

I tend to sing to myself during the flight - generally I make up the
lyrics. They are usually something related to flying. I find the cadence
of the music keeps my scan sequence regular.

When I get nervous, I stop singing.

I don't know which is more annoying.

Raymond Swartz

Old June 30th 04, 07:07 AM
tango4

One of my first instructors would whistle and hum to himself if you were
doing well. When the whistling stopped, look out, the next thing was usually
him stretching forward to beat you around the ears with his hat.

In answer to his heavily German accented 'where are your wings?', usually
meant to inquire about the diversion of the string from the straight back
position, I once replied 'well there's one there and one there' nodding
first left then right. At that point I think he unscrewed the stick from the
rear seat of the bergfalke and hit me with that because it certainly wasn't
a cap that he hit me with! I reckon that smart alec comment delayed my solo
by months!

Fond memories!

Me? A bit of silent verbal abuse when I'm down in the weeds. I have been
known to whistle and hum when its going well, looks like the training stuck!

Ian

Old June 30th 04, 11:02 PM
Shawn Curry

tango4 wrote:

One of my first instructors would whistle and hum to himself if you were
doing well. When the whistling stopped, look out, the next thing was usually
him stretching forward to beat you around the ears with his hat.

In answer to his heavily German accented 'where are your wings?', usually
meant to inquire about the diversion of the string from the straight back
position, I once replied 'well there's one there and one there' nodding
first left then right. At that point I think he unscrewed the stick from the
rear seat of the bergfalke and hit me with that because it certainly wasn't
a cap that he hit me with! I reckon that smart alec comment delayed my solo
by months!

Fond memories!

Fond? How many people did this prick drive out of the sport? If he did
this to me he'd have a black eye before he got off the runway. If my
kid were flying with someone who behaved this way, I would end his
flying career in an instant.
Where's my Ativan, gotta calm down.

Shawn
Old July 1st 04, 05:40 AM
tango4

"Shawn Curry" wrote in message

Fond? How many people did this prick drive out of the sport? If he did
this to me he'd have a black eye before he got off the runway. If my
kid were flying with someone who behaved this way, I would end his
flying career in an instant.
Where's my Ativan, gotta calm down.

Shawn

That's what you'd expect from someone who needs drugs to control their
emotions I suppose. If you need this kind of crutch I suggest you ground
yourself. Aviation is not for you.

Get a grip fella!

Ian

Old July 1st 04, 07:25 AM
F.L. Whiteley

"tango4" wrote in message
[...]

most likely the rigging spanner. always a favorite for the K-7 and K-13
instructor

Frank Whiteley

Old July 1st 04, 04:06 PM
Michael

"tango4" wrote
Fond? How many people did this prick drive out of the sport?

That's what you'd expect from someone who needs drugs to control their
emotions I suppose. If you need this kind of crutch I suggest you ground
yourself. Aviation is not for you.

No, aviation is not for him. Aviation is only for the strong. The
ones who don't mind being whacked on the head with things, and accept
it as just a normal part of instruction. The ones who don't go in for
this newfangled psychiatry crap, and deal with their problems the
old-fashioned way - drinking and womanizing. Aviation is only for the
real men.

Michael
Old July 1st 04, 04:20 PM
Shawn Curry

tango4 wrote:
"Shawn Curry" wrote in message

Fond? How many people did this prick drive out of the sport? If he did
this to me he'd have a black eye before he got off the runway. If my
kid were flying with someone who behaved this way, I would end his
flying career in an instant.
Where's my Ativan, gotta calm down.

Shawn

That's what you'd expect from someone who needs drugs to control their
emotions I suppose. If you need this kind of crutch I suggest you ground
yourself. Aviation is not for you.

Get a grip fella!

Oh (expletive deleted) Ian. It was a joke (although I have taken Ativan
prior to having surgery, and highly recommend it :-) ).
If you think this sadist was a great asset to our sport, you and he are
both way off. Most of us don't get our soaring training in the
military. We do it for recreational purposes, and expect it to be
difficult perhaps, but enjoyable and rewarding as well. You may be
content to have some asshole assaulting your son or daughter to
"improve" their experience in aviation. However, if someone behaves
this way to one of my kids, I'll kick the living **** out of him.
For those of you still following: Imagine your 13 year old daughter in
the front seat of a glider, skidding a turn once too many times early in
her training. At 2000 feet some middle age sicko with a control freak
attitude and no self control starts verbally and physically assaulting
your child. Ian apparently approves of this, and feels its just how its
done. Great. I won't tolerate it.
Listen "fella" you need to accept that the "Put up and shut up. We've
always done it this way." attitude toward ALL aspects of our sport, is
just not in our better interest. That, and if someone hurts my child,
in the cockpit or elsewhere, my tight lid on my temper will fail.

Shawn