Where do you draw the line?

Old June 30th 04, 04:46 PM
Bruce Greeff

Default Where do you draw the line?

I was reading up on the recent accidents and one had me wondering.

This was the damage to a K13 at Buckminster in the UK on 15 January. You can
read about it here -
http://www.gliding.co.uk/accidents/d...dentSummary=23

It appears from the accident report that this was caused by a retrieve driver
who was totally oblivious to the consequences of his actions. His lack of
situational awareness nearly killed two people and damaged a glider.

Now I am not in a position to comment on the behavior of the person responsible
for this incident, but it got me thinking on he principles.

So the question is - Who decides when someone is dangerous on the field? Are
there generally accepted principles for when a person is permitted to perform
potentially dangerous duties? Who has the authority to say?

At my club, the CFI is the final arbiter, and has politely relieved at least one
person that I know of, of any duties where other club members lives were
perceived to be at risk. Maybe we were wrong, he still gets to drive the
retrieve...
Old June 30th 04, 06:23 PM
Tuno

You can read about it here -

http://www.gliding.co.uk/accidents/d...dentSummary=23

Only if you have a login account.

Old July 1st 04, 06:20 AM
Bruce Greeff

Tuno wrote:
You can read about it here -

http://www.gliding.co.uk/accidents/d...dentSummary=23

Only if you have a login account.

Sorry boss

There is a public account - user name and password supplied by BGA
(User name: user, Password: risingmoon)
Old July 1st 04, 12:01 PM
Lewis Hartswick

Bruce Greeff wrote:

Tuno wrote:
You can read about it here -

http://www.gliding.co.uk/accidents/d...dentSummary=23

Only if you have a login account.

Sorry boss

There is a public account - user name and password supplied by BGA
(User name: user, Password: risingmoon)

How do you ever read that? Black and medium blueon a Dark blue
background.
...lew...
Old July 1st 04, 07:59 PM
Ian Johnston

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:46:57 UTC, Bruce Greeff
wrote:

: Now I am not in a position to comment on the behavior of the person responsible
: for this incident

Bloody hell.

I am personally surprised that there is no mention of a criminal
prosecution under the Health and Safety at Work Act here. I would be
astonished to find that this person is still a member: anyone
incapable of telling the difference between a car and a car towing
half a ton of glider backwards down the runway shoudl not be allowed
out without a nurse.

Ian

Red line Emilio Military Aviation 2 June 5th 04 04:49 AM
May 2004 Afterburner goes on line Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 May 15th 04 10:28 PM
Getting students to line up with the center line BoDEAN Piloting 27 April 21st 04 11:23 AM
CAD outline of Rans S6S instrument panel? Rob Turk Home Built 2 October 21st 03 09:27 PM