Soar Marfa after Hobbs

Old July 2nd 04, 05:15 AM
Burt Compton

Default Soar Marfa after Hobbs

Howdy folks! Mighty good soarin' in July at Marfa in west Texas. Pilots
from "back east" are visiting us this week and they're flyin' far and fast,
just like the legendary US National contests of the 1960's and 1970's. Johnny
Byrd returns next week to team-fly with us in his Discus, now that he and Ann
have moved here permanently. Kathie and I are here year-round, soaring and
enjoying the small town life. Kathie is "in" with the art community making
glider jewelry, and I'm hangin' out with the Mayor (Maybe that's how we got
the second runway at the airport resurfaced!)

Gold altitude badge flights were accomplished today (July 1) in strong thermals
to 16,800' cloudbases. Marfa airport (MRF) is almost 5,000' msl - so our
summer temps are not incredibly hot Dewpoints are very low, and that's
important.

Check out the daily "Dr. Jack" Blipmaps and our Marfa Blipspot for the west
Texas area. Lots of red (8 kt) and purple (10 kt) thermals!

So here's your invitation to visit Marfa Gliders after Hobbs. Drive south to
Pecos and take Texas highway 17 through the scenic Davis Mountains towards Big
Bend National Park. This ain't the flatlands - that's why soaring is so darn
good here.

By the way, the FAA figured I would make a good Pilot Examiner, so now you can
send your friends down to finish their glider ratings. We'll teach 'em to
soar as well.

Visit Marfa - site of the 1970 World Soaring Contest and where the "Sun Ship
Game" soaring movie was filmed. We'll show you a good time!

Burt & Kathie Compton
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
website: www.FLYGLIDERS.com
(800) 667-9464