What is a Public Liability Insurance Requirment or Glider Club

Old January 14th 19, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa Tango if IN

Default What is a Public Liability Insurance Requirment or Glider Club

Hello Everyone,
We are 70 years old glider club. Recently our airport closed down and we had to move to a much bigger airport. We agreed on the rent and moved in with 5 gliders and one tow plane. We are insured by Costello. We are already paying our rent but we just received pages of complicated contract. We could use your help with one paragraph. It appears to be that we need an other insurance top of Costello's.
1-Is this a common request? We never had to pay this before.
2-Who would you recommend for this kind of insurance?

INSURANCE: Operators agrees to maintain in force and effect at all times during the term of this Agreement Public Liability Insurance protecting it and Owner from loss on account of each and every claim and demand arising out of the alleged wrongful or negligent acts or omission on the part of Operator, its agent, servants or employees. Said insurance shall be with a company or companies satisfactory to the Owner and shall include coverage commonly known as “airport liability” in the minimum amount of 1’000 000.00 (One Million Dollars) and “products liability” coverage in the minimum ¬¬¬ amount of 1’000 000.00 One Million Dollars).

THANK YOU FOR YOU TIME!
Old January 14th 19, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Contact Costello so they can check to see if your current policy will be enough or if you will need additional coverage.
Old January 14th 19, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The SSA/Costello policy covers liability and hull insurance for the aircraft and its operators but does not cover airport operations I don't believe. Costello sells SSA Chapters a separate policy that covers airport operations and names my club's landlord an additional insured. It also covers the club's operations whether they're at our home field or anywhere else in North America (this year we held the R6N contest at a larger county airport). At the insureds request, such a policy may also contain riders that allow for additional coverage for clubs who operate a winch or hold an SSA sanctioned contest requiring event insurance. The event insurance runs about $550 per contest.

Anyhow, my advice is to call Costello at (800) 528-6483 and have them review your contract's insurance requirements to determine what coverage is necessary.

- Chris Schrader, SSA Director, Region 6
Old January 14th 19, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Yes, I have to agree......contact Costello and ask. It IS their business, if you are through SSA.org, they can help out and give guidance.
If not, they are about the best lead to a site/person/ company that can answer questions.
If any members are also with AOPA and a better membership, ask through them.....AOPA pushes to help owners and sites...
I pay extra for AOPA insurance since I was a CFIG......want some legal backing in case of a "what if".......

Yes, good replies, several avenues to seek good legal guidance......
Old January 14th 19, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

SSA/Costello policy also offers clubs an endorsement for additional insurance to cover your club's CFIG's in the event someone sues them or your club for negligent flight instruction/student pilot supervision. This gave our CFIG's peace of mind and its cost to our club was nominal at best.
Old January 14th 19, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 6:40:30 PM UTC-7, Papa Tango if IN wrote:
[...]

The premises liability and hangar owner/operator coverages. This may be what they are asking for. Hangar owner/operator policies had a large price bump a few years ago and my chapter dropped that coverage, but we own the airport.

Let us know what Costello says.

Liability insurance for Tow Pilots Walt Connelly Soaring 4 May 8th 15 12:48 AM
Liability Insurance for a Winch Operation? Randy Teel Soaring 18 March 8th 12 07:53 PM
Third party liability insurance Michal Lewczuk Soaring 0 January 22nd 05 12:08 AM
Liability insurance Ian Cant Soaring 14 June 14th 04 07:27 AM
Make sure of Your Liability Insurance Icebound Piloting 1 April 25th 04 09:19 AM