New Currency Rule for Homebuilt?

Old May 13th 05, 12:48 AM
Gig Giacona

Default New Currency Rule for Homebuilt?

Read this today on AVWEB. What is the deal?

http://avweb.com/newswire/11_19b/briefs/189753-1.html

The FAA is underscoring regulatory requirements for pilots who fly
passengers in homebuilt aircraft. A new notice would restrict them to flying
passengers only in planes in which they are qualified and experienced.
Currency and proficiency rules apply to those who take people for rides in
their experimental aircraft and EAA says current pilots have until Aug. 31,
2005, to prove they have the necessary category and class ratings for the
aircraft they fly. Those who always fly solo will not need to fly through
the bureaucratic hoops. Under the new notice, which was issued April 21,
affected pilots will have fill out a form and make sure their recreational
or higher certificate is in order. Flying passengers requires that the pilot
have at least five hours as PIC in the category, class, make and model of
the experimental aircraft in question between Sept. 1, 2004, and Aug. 31,
2005. An authorized flight instructor must make a logbook entry attesting to
the pilot's proficiency with the aircraft and then the pilot must show the
log to a designated pilot examiner or FAA Operations Inspector. A new pilot
certificate will then be issued restricting the pilot to flying that
particular experimental aircraft (or any others for which he or she has done
the paperwork).

Old May 13th 05, 03:57 AM
Dude

"Gig Giacona" wrote in message

[...]

1. Bureaucracy detests what it cannot control
2. They hate you killing yourself, but harming others is really, really
irritating (and lots more career risk).

Seriously, it all sounds reasonable, but I know many instructors refuse to
fly in homebuilts. I suppose EAA will start having to have a contact sheet.

At the sametime, NavCanada will now let you get your experimental
professionally built AND let you get a repair certificate as well. Proof
that ideas should be judged on their own merits, and not that of their
source (seriously, Ottawa went for this!).

PS no disrespect to the Canadians, love those people. Don't like Washington
anymore than Ottawa.

Old May 14th 05, 08:30 PM
Jerry Springer

Seriously, it all sounds reasonable, but I know many instructors refuse to
fly in homebuilts. I suppose EAA will start having to have a contact sheet.

Being an instructor myself I know a lot of instructors and everyone of
them jump at a chance to fly in my RV-6. I also believe that EAA already
has a list of instructor contacts, you just have to submit your name
to them if you want to be on it.

Jerry

Old May 14th 05, 09:20 PM
Dude

"Jerry Springer" wrote in message

Seriously, it all sounds reasonable, but I know many instructors refuse
to fly in homebuilts. I suppose EAA will start having to have a contact
sheet.

Being an instructor myself I know a lot of instructors and everyone of
them jump at a chance to fly in my RV-6. I also believe that EAA already
has a list of instructor contacts, you just have to submit your name
to them if you want to be on it.

Jerry

That's good. This shouldn't end up being to big a deal then.

If you head to a big city CPC, you will likely find more of the guys I am
talking about.

Old May 14th 05, 09:23 PM
UltraJohn

Read this today on AVWEB. What is the deal?

http://avweb.com/newswire/11_19b/briefs/189753-1.html

The FAA is underscoring regulatory requirements for pilots who fly
passengers in homebuilt aircraft. A new notice would restrict them to
flying passengers only in planes in which they are qualified and

Does anyone have a link to the notice so we can read the whole thing not
something written by some author for an aviation web news site?

A couple questions I might have.
1. Is this for all classes of license or is this Sport Pilot.
(it sounds like sportpilot since they require check out in individual
planes (unless PPL operating as SP).
2. Is this a proposal or has in been implemented without any public
response?

I have never heard of PPL needing a new license for a particular airplane.
Maybe jets or aircraft over 12500 lbs.

John

Old May 14th 05, 11:03 PM
David O

"Gig Giacona" wrote:

Read this today on AVWEB. What is the deal?
http://avweb.com/newswire/11_19b/briefs/189753-1.html

Gig and all,

No action is required under this notice for the vast majority of
pilots who fly experimental aircraft. This notice affects only those
pilots who wish to carry passengers in an experimental aircraft for
which they do not hold the appropriate category and class rating. No
action is required under this notice, for example, for pilots who hold
a private pilot SEL airplane category and class rating certificate and
fly a SEL experimental aircraft. On the other hand, pilots who hold a
private pilot SEL airplane category and class rating certificate and
fly a multi-engine experimental aircraft (MEL) will need to comply
with the new requirements if they wish to carry passengers in their
multi-engine experimental aircraft.

Here is a link to the FAA notice (a MS Word document)
http://www.faa.gov/avr/afs/notices/8700/n8700-42.doc

Here is a link to the EAA's explanation of the notice
http://www.eaa.org/communications/ea...09_rating.html

David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com

Old May 14th 05, 11:16 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Sat, 14 May 2005 20:23:20 GMT, UltraJohn wrote:

Read this today on AVWEB. What is the deal?

http://avweb.com/newswire/11_19b/briefs/189753-1.html

The FAA is underscoring regulatory requirements for pilots who fly
passengers in homebuilt aircraft. A new notice would restrict them to
flying passengers only in planes in which they are qualified and

Does anyone have a link to the notice so we can read the whole thing not
something written by some author for an aviation web news site?

Check EAA's web page:

http://www.eaa.org/communications/ea...09_rating.html

They have a link to the actual FAA notice.

Ron Wanttaja
Old May 14th 05, 11:42 PM
UltraJohn

David O wrote:

"Gig Giacona" wrote:

Read this today on AVWEB. What is the deal?
http://avweb.com/newswire/11_19b/briefs/189753-1.html

Gig and all,

No action is required under this notice for the vast majority of

David
Thanks for the info. It also answers my post elsewhere on this ng.
John

Old May 15th 05, 01:58 AM
Peter Dohm

Thanks to "David O" for the link to the FAA Notice as a Word Document.

The way that I read it, this new procedure is really intended by the FAA to
be a convenient shortcut for those pilots holding a Recreational certificate
or higher, and who desire priveleges to fly only a particular make and model
of aircraft for which they would not otherwise be qualified.

The example is given of the Leza Air Cam, which a pilot with a multi-engine
land rating is qualified to fly. A pilot holding only a single engine land
rating
could qualify, in as few as five hours, to carry passengers in the Air Cam;
but would not be automatically qualified to fly any other multi-engine
aircraft.

Additional discussion, and additional example(s) make this a very good
thing to read--expecially since the EAA explanation, which I read first,
left me with an entirely different impression...

Peter

Disclaimer: I am not curently a pilot, nor have I ever been an attorney.