Welding question #1

Old June 5th 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
mhorowit

Default Welding question #1

I'm at my welding table practicing welding with a new torch, and I've
found myself burning thru the metal. I've been correcting the error
by filling in the metal with filler and continuing with the exercise.

Can I do the same to correct a "run away hole" on real work? - Mike
Old June 5th 09, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bildan

On Jun 5, 8:00*am, mhorowit wrote:
I'm at my welding table practicing welding with a new torch, and I've
found myself burning thru the metal. I've been correcting the error
by *filling in the metal with filler and continuing with the exercise.

Can I do the same to correct a "run away hole" on real work? - Mike

There are certainly better welder than me on this group to advise you
but I'll give it a try.

Possibilities:

1. Your gas pressure is too high and you are blowing holes in the
metal. Try using a smaller flame and working slower.

2. You aren't quick enough in pulling the flame back when you see the
metal starting to boil and spark. If you see that, the heat needs to
be reduced NOW. The only way to quickly reduce heat is remove the
flame.

Learning to weld it fun if a little frustrating. It brings out the
inner child - with pyromaniacal tendencies.
Old June 5th 09, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Mike[_19_]

On Jun 5, 10:18*am, bildan wrote:
[...]

Thanks; any idea if I can "fill in my gaps" when off the practice
table? - Mike
Old June 5th 09, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bildan

On Jun 5, 8:31*am, Mike wrote:
On Jun 5, 10:18*am, bildan wrote:

[...]

I assume you mean "fill in the holes".

I add a little fill metal, back off and let it solidify (not cool -
keep it red/orange). Repeat by adding fill metal in small amounts
until the hole is filled.

BTW, my welding instructor taught me the circular motion of the torch
but not the in and out motion needed to control melt puddle
temperature. I had to learn that myself.

I think temperature control is the real secret to gas welding. If you
need to go in too close with the torch to get the right temperature,
you need a larger flame or bigger tip. If you need to be too far
away, you need a smaller flame or smaller tip. I like to work with
the torch about 1/2" from the puddle when working 1/16" thick metal.

Welding question - Michael Horowitz Restoration 11 September 7th 06 03:52 PM
Welding question 2 Bill Daniels Home Built 11 June 10th 06 01:48 AM
Welding question: 43-13-1B, Fig.4-43 Mike Restoration 0 May 15th 06 02:36 PM
Welding question Mike Restoration 4 February 20th 06 02:23 PM
Welding question Michael Horowitz Home Built 1 October 13th 05 09:53 PM