PiRep request Chief Avionics

Old January 29th 08, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Default PiRep request Chief Avionics

I'm considering having Chief Avionics out of Grants Pass, OR so some
panel work for me on the 601XL I'm building.

Anyone used them and have any comments?
Old January 29th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Jim Stewart

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

I'm considering having Chief Avionics out of Grants Pass, OR so some
panel work for me on the 601XL I'm building.

Anyone used them and have any comments?

I've dropped about 4 AMU on boxed avionics
over the last couple of months.

One of the units I bought turned out to be
discontinued and they did the right thing when
I sent it back. IMHO, they are stand-up
people.

Can't speak to the custom panel work though,
doing it all myself.

Old January 29th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Jim Stewart wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

I'm considering having Chief Avionics out of Grants Pass, OR so some
panel work for me on the 601XL I'm building.

Anyone used them and have any comments?

I've dropped about 4 AMU on boxed avionics
over the last couple of months.

One of the units I bought turned out to be
discontinued and they did the right thing when
I sent it back. IMHO, they are stand-up
people.

Can't speak to the custom panel work though,
doing it all myself.

That's good to hear. What did you get from them?

So far their prices look as good or better than anyones.
Old January 29th 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt, rec.aviation.owning

Anyone used them and have any comments?

I have purchased parts on several ocasions. All have been good
transactions.

Bob
Old January 29th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

I've used Chief AIRCRAFT (not avionics) for twentysome years and have yet to
have them be anything but good deals. No hassles if you bought something
the wrong size or whatever. Nice folks to do business with.

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

Old January 29th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

RST Engineering wrote:
I've used Chief AIRCRAFT (not avionics) for twentysome years and have yet to
have them be anything but good deals. No hassles if you bought something
the wrong size or whatever. Nice folks to do business with.

Jim

Well that makes 3 public endorsements and 2 private ones with nobody
speaking up against them so it does make me much more comfortable
sending them the multiple AMUs.

Thanks guys.

Old January 29th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Al G[_1_]

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote in message

I'm considering having Chief Avionics out of Grants Pass, OR so some panel
work for me on the 601XL I'm building.

Anyone used them and have any comments?

I fly a P210 for a customer that has recently had a great deal of
avionics work done by the fellow that currently works for Chief, Terry
Jones. It was well done stuff, very pretty, very functional. I've flown with
Terry several times now to certify and test fly the installation. (Garmin
530W, SL30, xpndr, 496 on the right side, Sandel EFIS on the left.) His
installations are not the cheapest, but they are well done. Say Hi for me.
I've had the opportunity to deal with Chief several times in the last
twenty years, and they are as honest as they come, and have saved me
hundreds. I would check there first.

AL G
Roseburg, Oregon

Old January 30th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote in message

I'm considering having Chief Avionics out of Grants Pass, OR so some panel
work for me on the 601XL I'm building.

Anyone used them and have any comments?

I had an experience that was less than perfect. Chief provided the radio,
transponder, encoder, intercom, and the related wiring harnesses for the
stack in my RV. On start-up, there was no side tone on the radio. As it
turned out, something was mis-wired and the solution (arrived at with the
help of their tech folks) was for me to climb under the panel and
re-terminate a wire or two. This involved a few hours of my time and one
miserable hour (or thereabouts) buried under the panel working with a
flashlight in my mouth..

I asked for a discount on my next purchase as compensation for my troubles
and they were pretty snotty in telling me no...

I've heard of much worse experiences with avionics (though not with Chief),
so I don't think my experience was horrid, just not as good as it could have
been considering that I'd purchased several thousand dollars of hardware
from them.

KB

PiRep request Chief Avionics Gig 601XL Builder[_2_] Owning 7 January 30th 08 02:52 AM
PIREP request for audio panel Casey Wilson Piloting 1 June 12th 06 08:45 PM
Pirep request: FlightPrep vs 396 Jim Burns Owning 11 January 11th 06 08:39 PM
pirep request WV52 Randy Piloting 1 July 19th 05 01:27 PM
Pirep request Jim Burns Piloting 6 May 9th 05 11:27 PM